skysurfNJ

Bridge Day 2006 Fatality

I just got a call from a whuffo friend watching Bridge Day 2006. Someone went in. He said nothing out, water impact.
No more info.

In time we will learn more. But I'm wondering if the deceased was a regular BASE jumper or a skydiver making one of their first BASE jumps. I only bring this up because there appears to be a lax attitude by many towards the dangers of BASE during events such as Bridge Day and there is likely not enough BASE specific training to those who look to do their first BASE jumps at such events.

BSBD and condolences to those who cared about the deceased.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Terrible news, very sorry to hear!!

Don't need to know the details right now but some
info about the person would be nice since many of
us have friends there.

To our fallen: Blue Skies, Fly Free.
To his or her home team: Sincere Condolences.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

I was at the exit point and saw the entire jump.

I think there will be a video analysis of some kind done tonight.

Jumpers family were present at the event, so there is no need to worry if you have not heard from friends.

The only lesson to be learned from this incident is that it is imperative to deploy a pilot chute with sufficient altitude to allow canopy extraction and inflation. I do not believe there was any gear malfunction or rigging error.

More detailed analysis and jumpers details to follow.

I'd suggest we all refrain from posting details until Jason has a chance to prepare a statement and analysis.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

There was no sweeter wound than the voice of my fiancee calling from WV and telling me she was OK. Immediately after I saw the info on national news I called her but could not reach her right away.

My condolences go out to the family of the unfortunate skydiver but I am glad my sweetie is OK.

Thoughts to the family and everyone who saw it. That's harder on people than they'll usually admit.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

There was no sweeter wound than the voice of my fiancee calling from WV and telling me she was OK.

BASE 509 circulated through the line of jumpers asking people to call home in order to reassure their loved ones, because he expected the news not to include the jumpers identity, and knew that might cause undue panic.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Sincerest and most heartful sympathies to those whom have lost one of their own. This is a truly dark day...

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

Please please if there anyone has a name, please pm me. Pretty much all of my DZ is there, and I don't have a phone to call any of them[:/]

Please please if there anyone has a name, please pm me. Pretty much all of my DZ is there, and I don't have a phone to call any of them[:/]

Name released in the incidents forum.

Condolences ...

'Shell
'Shell

no offense. but did jumping continue or conclude upon the incedent?

It was reported to have continued. That is typical of these mishaps.

no offense. but did jumping continue or conclude upon the incedent?

Jumping was allowed to continue after the deceased, family and friends had left the bridge. A significant number of jumpers chose to stop jumping for the day after the incident.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

How many skydives and base jumps did the jumper have?
And When was the last time he did either? How current was he?
Mick Knutson
* BLiNC Magazine "Everything you ever wanted to know about Parachuting, but didn't know whom to ask."

The name of the jumper has been released on the website of a local television station

www.woay.com

Tragic. [:/] Condolences to friends and family.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

Damn, Brian Schubert was an inspiration to get Carl Boenish into the sport. In the words of Stewart Scott - "RESPECT". The inevitable Monday morning quarterbacking that will come seems like a waste when speaking of a legend.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

The Pittsburgh news channel just did a short piece on it.

They totally messed up. They talked about Brian but showed a video clip of the guy in the white wing suit who did a low pull. His canopy was red. I saw that jump and he was swimming after the low pull and impact. They pulled him out and took him off in an ambulence. How bad was he hurt?

As for Brian, I saw that jump too but I was a good ways away at one end of the bridge. I just saw a long delay and a parachute that was barely open when he impacted the water. The boats were on him fast but the current took them under the bridge where I couldn't see anyhing after that. Also note I was too far away to see wether he exited stable or anythign like that.

Many sorrows I felt today at the Bridge. I seriously question whether or not this sport is something I still want to give a try. It sucks bad to loose a pioneer like Brian. I just have to give him all the respect in the world for having the courage to take that first leap, and his last.

DAVID

I herd there was also a jumper who got paralyised this year, but I think the major talk was of the fatality. I was at bridge day but guiding a raft on the river.

Prayers go out to the family and all who were there.

I herd there was also a jumper who got paralyised this year...

This is incorrect. The jumper who pulled low in the wingsuit was injured and life flighted out. He did have a spinal fracture (T7, if I recall correctly), but had feeling and control in all 4 extremities.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com