dride

Why do some choose not to wear a helmet on jumps??

Because it's fun. I've always wanted to fly and it fulfills part of that. In my mind parachutes are cool.

The example you use is a crock of shit. Skateboarding is dumb if you use that example. Mountain bike riding is dumb if you use that example as well. So is motorcycle racing and many other activities.

Either one of those sports have been proven to be safer with the use of proper armor.

Back to my original question....
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

one less thing to remember to bring to the jump.
one less thing to lose.
one less thing to put in the wrong place.
one less thing to put on at the exit.
one less thing to put in the stash bag after.

thats five less thoughts ...

Nice try.. ;) I said good reasons.

one less thing to lose.

Is that your excuse for forgetting the muffs, you were this >< close........:D:D:P
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Because it's fun. I've always wanted to fly and it fulfills part of that. In my mind parachutes are cool.

The example you use is a crock of shit. Skateboarding is dumb if you use that example. Mountain bike riding is dumb if you use that example as well. So is motorcycle racing and many other activities.

Either one of those sports have been proven to be safer with the use of proper armor.

Back to my original question....

Maybe a longer reply would clear up my thoughts to you.

If you read my first post would would have seen that I personally am in favour of helmets and armour. When people have asked me, I have always advocated the use of such said equipment. I did not anywhere in my posts speak to the injury rate of armour vs. no armour!
I would dare say there is a huge difference between Mtn biking/skateboarding and BASE for the avg. participant in each respective activity. I have jumped with people that use helmets and people without, whatever.
As for my second post that seemed to get U bunched up, it was a read between the lines kind of thng, meaning .... what one man views as freedom or ecstasy, another views as STUPID. I love BASE too and for the same reasons as you and more but the MAJORITY of the world would say/think it is a stupid thing to do. I think U are agreeing with the original poster that jumping without is stupid?!?!
Throwing yourself off big things is crazy! I frickin love it but let's face it, BASE is not normal behaviour by any stretch of the imagination.
It goes well against our programming to stay alive. Yes, I know...so does alot of shit, BASE is not alone there at all.
SabreDave

"""""""""""""" His head was being kept afloat by the foam in his helmet. """""""""""

a very good point.

As for my second post that seemed to get U bunched up

Ha-ha... Not in the least. Would emoticons (like this one ==>:P == or ==>;))make my tone sound lighter :)
Terminal impact to water certainly isn't on the spectrum of reasons not to wear one.... oops... almost forgot the laughy guy :D

I think U are agreeing with the original poster that jumping without is stupid?!?!

Yes I agree with him. I won't bother infringing on someone’s right to bash their head into a rock but I certainly agree with him. I'm part of the reason he wears full battle gear when he jumps. If you don't want to, that's fine. I've used my armor. I've only crashed once so far. I can walk and live my life normally. If I did not have it on that jump, specifically a spine protector, at minimum, walking again wouldn't have been an option. Instead, it knocked the wind out of me and I took ibuprofen for a few days.

Tim
I won't attempt to speak for your experiences but for me I prefer to jump without. I have been involved with some of the worst the sport has to offer. In every incident I have witnessed where we lost a friend a helmet would have done nothing...correction, the helmets did nothing. I'm not saying that helmets don't work but in the big picture they are only good for impact up to a certain speed. We get off on chucking ourselves off objects that without a timely deployment of equipment, we would be killed. Everytime we step off we are moments away from total annihilation and we know it. Yet we hope that by protecting our vital organs we will somehow avert potential catastrophe. Well we might or we might not. I strongly believe as I have experienced over the years, that if we continue to jump we will eventually secumb to plain old bad luck.
"Pad up and pound in" all you want but your number is out there,it's just a matter of time. That goes for any incident in BASE. The only way to prevent serious injury and or death is to not jump. I personally prefer the minimalist approach to jumping. I do on occasion wear protective gear if the event requires it but for me it's purely decorative. If it's in the cards that I bash my head and become a vegetable then so be it and that could be said for surfing big waves at reef breaks too but no helmet either. It really is everyones choice how they want to live their lives but when I hear people say how they think anyone who doesn't wear a helmet is an idiot that kinda bums me out. This sport for all intents a purposes is an outlaw sport. There is no controlling government body to regulate what we do or how we do it. It's my right to do as I please so for someone to criticise my actions doesn't bode well for the future especially if we do find ourselves facing regulation. We've all had brushes and been touched by death but we're all still here. I will continue to jump with nothing but some comfortable shoes and a rig, it's my life and I love it.
Matt

Tim
in the big picture they are only good for impact up to a certain speed.

If your talking about a cliff strike though, or landing in rocky terrain, that helmet could mean the difference between a punch to the head and a stab in the head. Same goes for your internal organs with body armor.

And if we keep seeking better equipment, with advances in technology we can get even stronger helmets that can turn very high speed pointy object impacts into a blunt thud to the head.

This is the internet so remember that people often post when they have little time to post. The words fly and the Post Reply button is pushed for all to read. I do that sometimes too. ;)

Your post is good. I don't agree that people jumping without are idiots by the way. It does read that way above but it's not exactly what I meant so I'll type a bit slower this time.

I personally think pads SHOULD be worn, but like I not so casually put it previously, it's up to you.

Having grown up doing probable impact sports and wearing and using pads the entire time, it's pretty engrained.

Matt, since you know me personally, I’m sure you realize (or at least I hope you do) that I don't care how you do what you do. We've jumped many of the same objects and many different ones as well. So far we're both still here. Just try and keep it that way.

I fully agree Tim. My popst was never wholly directed at you but at the vast throngs of readers many of whom have very a very distinct view point but seeing as you asked for "One good reason" I figured I'd give you mine. I know we've jumped a lot of the same objects and I relish the memories I just choose the Air In My Hair. Impact is always iminent, in everything we do I guess it all boils down to how each of us mentally prepares for it. See at an exit some day soon eh.

Last august I had a towerstrike in KL. I hit the wall pretty hard. The right side of my helmet was cracked from top to bottom. My skull wasn't...I'm sure my helmet saved my life or at least prevented heavy brain damage...
---------------------------------------
Luck beef four Yule heap !

one less thing to lose.

six : helmets make my hair look crappy. :|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I'm only replying to the last post...

check in the BASE Fatality list number 17, 20 and 47...

I also had a wall strike this year. I was wearing a helmet, body aromour and knee pads. I got away without a scrach (but with a hughe bill for an expensive helicopter rescue) and I'm sure it would have looked different if I would had not worn these things...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

one less thing to lose.

six : helmets make my hair look crappy.

seven: One less thing the MAN can confiscate.

Rat for Life - Fly till I die
When them stupid ass bitches ask why

check in the BASE Fatality list number 17, 20 and 47...

96 for example had a helmet. For sure. It didn't save him.

Yes there are more pro's than con's to helmets and other body armour, but everyone should make his own educated choices. Like the RSL/AAD etc etc etc dicussions.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Yes there are more pro's than con's to helmets and other body armour, but everyone should make his own educated choices. Like the RSL/AAD etc etc etc dicussions.

Also my opinion. I don't care a bit if my jumping buddy wears a helmet or not. Most of the time I wear one and sometimes not and thats it.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch