New River Gorge water levels

What are the water levels doing this year? Will there be a sand bar to land on this year?

thanks
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I haven't checked lately, but have heard nothing about the water levels being abnormally high or low. We've had rain off and on in the last month, so I would assume there are some shoreline landing areas open. But it takes a near drought to expose the sand bar.

PS. We have more injuries when the water is low.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I can go down and look if you want.

It's been raining quite a bit today (and pretty windy) but not the kind of torrential downpour that would push the water level up overnight or anything.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

thanks. I'm curious about how much extra clothing I should bring. If the water level is high, I will either have to land in water or traverse the narrow tree line to make it to the proper landing area. My previous injuries (and I still have hardware in my ankle) and my current canopy is not forgiving enough for a certain safe landing in this environment if the winds are turbulent.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

The water is actually on the low side of average. There is lots of exposed beach to land on. The "short out" landing area (the open space just before the regular bridge day landing area) looks pretty rocky, but the main Bridge Day landing area is both fairly clear and pretty big this year. No sandbar, though.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I spoke with one of the river guide outfitters and they have told me the water levels will be cranked up on Saturday very early morning. I will posibly be conducting a Kayaking death camp on Sunday if you are interested let me know, it's a toss up between that and the freestander.
Shane Murphy
www.adrenalinegeeks.com

^ I concur! The tree that caught a couple of jumpers last year is underwater about 15 feet from the shore line. Hopefully they'll turn the damn water down before saturday!
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.