johnie

Bridge day info 411

What is the max allowable delay after exit off bridge? anyone,anyone help a guy out here
No matter where you Go!"there you are"!

I believe it's 8.8 seconds from exit to impact

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

allowable

Depends on how much of a chance you want to live.

I have seen a 7 sec delay there. What are you trying to do?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Nuthin much! Just live..... to jump again! I'm new, so i just wanted a time frame that i could make a decision on delay 2 secs sound alright for a virgin baser

take it to three, slider down/off, handheld you should be fine. unless of course you fuck up.

What could go wrong? It's only base. JOKINGLY

How about a little respect for our sport. BASE is serious, you can and will die if you do not respect this sport. Even if it is the 'Bridge'.

Easy up about the respect!! My friend ,I understand the full gravity of what could and may happen at the bridge! If you have any advice don't be selfish and throw a dog a bone or two on tips! I'll take anything you got. Thanks JOHNNY O

John"ie"...

You can take as long a delay as you'd like. Too long and the river will not be very forgiving.

It sounds to me like 9 seconds is TOO long...

If you plan on deploying your canopy within that 9 second window you must understand what may happen. If you don't then I wouldn't advise stepping off the platform.

Some people will be flicking some crazy shiite off that bridge. If your profile is correct, I would NOT advise you doing the same.

Be safe, have fun...Don't be stupid!

What is the max allowable delay after exit off bridge? anyone,anyone help a guy out here

why?
1) most people's sense of time is greatly distorted during a jump.

2) more importantly, what delay are YOU willing to take? cautious jumpers start with a conservative delay, then build up.

the time to impact is great for impressing whuffos, but use experience for planning jumps.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

The longest delay I know of that has been done there was by BASE 175 - a nice 7.7 second delay. The next longest delay was done by BASE 74, a typical 7 second delay. The delay can be prolonged with a nice hard track to slow down the vertical speed.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

How about a little respect for our sport. BASE is serious, you can and will die if you do not respect this sport. Even if it is the 'Bridge'.

…and even if you respect this sport you might die…
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

The longest delay I know of that has been done there was by BASE 175 - a nice 7.7 second delay. The next longest delay was done by BASE 74, a typical 7 second delay. The delay can be prolonged with a nice hard track to slow down the vertical speed.

The wingsuit delay of James last year looked very long...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

So very true. And hell, I have climbed down twice in the last week, and try to be as safe as possible. I could still be next. This is something that I have accepted, and will continue to accept. Until death do me part from BASE.
I also know that when I entered into the most extreme addiction I have ever had, I was also cocky, and sometimes knowingly made the wrong decision. My risk to pleasure ratio was off balance.
I have never wanted something so bad in my life, finally got it, and was on a one way ticket to either getting hurt very badly, or the alternative. [:/] I have since learned that patients IS a virtue, and you don't always get what you want.
One of the main reasons I will not be attending bridge day this year is because of all the 50 jump wonders getting to experience what I have worked, and still work so hard to achieve. To me, none of you 50 jump wonders deserve it. I think bridge day should be for BASE jumpers only. Plus I am not too much on hype, attention, or watching people jump that don't deserve it. Unknowingly what they are truly getting themselves into.
So on that note, all of you have fun, be safe, and most importantly, DON'T DIE...

peace

none of you 50 jump wonders deserve it.

I made my 1st base jump at Bridge Day 1993. Did I not "deserve it"? Jumpers need to start somewhere and Bridge Day has always filled this need. Also, there are very, very few jumpers with less than 100 skydives, which is the standard prerequisite for your average BASE FJC.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

One of the main reasons I will not be attending bridge day this year is because of all the 50 jump wonders getting to experience what I have worked, and still work so hard to achieve. To me, none of you 50 jump wonders deserve it.

Many people say you should go to Bridge Day not necessarily for the jumps, but to experience the "circus" of the festivities.

How many BASE jumpers do you think have not gone purely because of the "circus" atmosphere?

It's time now! My time now! Give me mine. Give me my wings! - MJK

But how many of those at bridge day with one hundred skydives do you think actually attended the FJC? That should be the prerequisite.
I am not discouraging anyone from getting into BASE. I also know a lot of current BASE jumpers started at bridge day, and have developed their skills, knowledge, and RESPECT. I am not going to get into some big debate on this subject.
Hell, 460 only had 60 jumps when he started jumping and I believe he had everything it takes at that time. He is also a genius and am proud to say that he is one of my best friends. I am not saying that some of them would be prime candidates for this sport. But it is not ethical to say that someone starting BASE with 100 skydives, to someone starting with 500 would have a way better understanding for what is truly going on. On the other hand, some people really get off on the analytical side and think they know it all. And they might. But someone who didn't study as much, with pen point instincts, would survive a problem much quicker and most likely survive. Over analyzing a problem while it is occurring will not turn out too well. problem occurring: " ok, this is happening, so let me refer to..." WHAM!!!
Yes, you should obtain every little bit of information that you can and absorb it. Everyone should.
I would also advise that all of the low timers read up before bridge day. Hopefully they already have BASE specific gear and have already jumped their BASE canopy out of a plane a few times and done all of the procedures that will help save their lives.

I am not trying to piss anyone off, or discourage anyone from getting involved. But this is no amusement park ride, and everyone getting involved should know and understand the consequences.

But how many of those at bridge day with one hundred skydives do you think actually attended the FJC?

When I started jumping, there were no real FJC's (except for cliff camp, which didn't last long). We learned from other experienced jumpers. So don't gasp in horror if someone doesn't attend a formal FJC.

Many of us like to put BASE jumping on a pedestal. BASE jumping requires no real skills except quick thinking and reactions. Sorry to anyone who thinks that BASE jumping is some super-elite sport.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

BASE also requires commitment though. I know of many in the sport that won't even speak to you until you've shown some sort of commitment.
I also know several that have jumped at BD several times, and are somewhat jaded, as to what BASE really is. They seem to think every BASE jump is all organized like BD.:S
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

They seem to think every BASE jump is all organized like BD.

I haven't met anyone who thought base jumps were all organized like BD. Maybe a whuffo, but not a jumper.

I'd love to sit here tonight and type out my feelings on this forum, but I'm pretty busy right now with the BD event this weekend. Cya at the bridge.

One of the main reasons I will not be attending bridge day this year is because of all the 50 jump wonders getting to experience what I have worked, and still work so hard to achieve. To me, none of you 50 jump wonders deserve it. I think bridge day should be for BASE jumpers only.

I think you're missing the point of Bridge Day.

Bridge Day and BASE are related, but not the same thing. Bridge Day has it's own culture, history and standards, which are different from those of BASE jumping generally.

I value Bridge Day as Bridge Day. I value BASE jumping as BASE jumping. I think of the two things separately.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Thats more like what I was trying to say, but I'm tired and the words came out wrong.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I think it's also possible that someone with 100 skydives could have better canopy skills than someone with 500, depending on how they used their time under canopy.