Calvin19

I might Quit BASE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAiJsUXgknQ&NR=1

yeah buddy!!!! truck yeah its flying season!!!

i dont think a lot of BASE jumpers understand how cool these pilots are, i dont think they understand the ground effect of a wing.
ground effect GREATLY reduces the induced drag of a wing, so the closer you fly to ground, the faster and farther you will go. a wing with a GR of 20/1 in clean air will do 20/1, but on a slope of 40/1, it would glide at 40/1 !!!

its magic people... sometimes im sad i switched from HG to PG... but i still have my SS hang glider!!!

probably won't give up BASE, but skydiving.....thats another story.
Go fly that ss! do both...

Calvin.... I've got an Octane up for grabs PM me if it's suitable for your needs

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

i dont think a lot of BASE jumpers understand how cool these pilots are,
------------------------------------------------------------
no we don't . what you need to do is wingsuite BASE.!!
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."

i dont think a lot of BASE jumpers understand how cool these pilots are,
------------------------------------------------------------
no we don't . what you need to do is wingsuite BASE.!!

i will someday. im happy out of airplanes WS right now.

of course, you cant slollom a wingsuit a half meter off the ground, and you cant loop a wingsuit. and you cant stay up in a wingsuit for 6 hours. and you cant land a wingsuit. but you can pretend to be a bird, as close as you can be to a bird, for an amazing 2 minutes.

speaking of wingsuit BASE....

so, all aircraftr wings have ground effect, it is basicaly the change in angle of lift, reducing induced drag theoreticaly to zero, depending on how close the foil gets to the ground, now, i dont think that a person has ever gotten close enough to the ground to be able to use ground effect or even measure it, but in theory...

a wingsuit -COULD- get a glide ratio of close to 6/1 if it were to be flown a half meter above the hill that was 6/1 slope....

its suicide, but its a accurate theory...

i guess most of the drag on a Wingsuit is paracite drag...

i dont know how many people understand what im talking about... nevermind. ill go to sleep.

for an amazing 2 minutes.
------------------------------------
not if you got a jet pack
jet winguite base
"A peaceful heart leads to a healthy body; jealousy is like cancer in the bones ..."

do you have any idea how much a micro turbine engine costs? do you think your local DZ is going to let you take a gallon of jet fuel on board with you, then jump out with a 3 meter carbon fiber wing?

turbines are about 1000 US.

and its really freaking cool. but still.

whats better, para or hang
light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak

it depends.

PG is more versitle, you have a airplane in your backpack you can fly between states with and stay up all day. and you can land anywhere, and take off anywhere you can hike to

HG you need a modified car to carry it around, it sucks to hike more than 100 yards with.

but its FAST and more effiecient than a PG. but you cant land everywhere. and your not allowd at certain flying sites, because you could kill someone with a big aluminum bat for wings.

do you think your local DZ is going to let you take a gallon of jet fuel on board with you, then jump out with a 3 meter carbon fiber wing?
------------------------------------------------------
the DZ should have spare jet engine laying around, that is why you are ninja jet wingsuite base

im thinking about taking lessons this summer and had some questions about paragliding,

first of all, what kinda ranges are there for paraglide flights, second what are the risk factors, im assuming stalls are biggest? theres a great glider port near my home and i was interested. any other info would be great

If i had to pick between skydive/BASE and paragliding. i would take paragliding in a second.

flights on standard PGs ranges-
-forward speed: 14-70km/hr (higher speeds are only on a few acro/comp gliders
-Glide Ratio: normaly, 7-8.5/1. with better comp gliders pushing the 11/1 range
-sink rate: less than 1 meter per second. (BASE gear is around 3 or 4)
-world record distance flown in one flight changes, but it is around 300 miles.
-flights can be all day, my longest is 4.4 hours.

risk?
If you do dont take me as your teacher, its pretty safe. I was being a moron 15 months ago and had a bad crash. spent 3 months in the hospital, and then i re-broke my leg last month because it was still weak, again paragliding. just a hard landing.

but i would say, when done safely, it is about as dangerous as skydiving.

stall? kinda but not really. tucks, and other collapses close to the ground (what happened to me:S) are the bad things

only buy a DHV 1 or 1-2 designed in the last 7 years, used as low as 600 USD. but the best are around 1300 USD. harness/reserve about 400 used. a full new set up is around 4000 USD.

lessons are not terribly expensive.

PS- i keep BASE jumping because i love it, and doing both does not interfere with eachother. BASE at night, paraglide during the day.

both amazing sports, if there is a way to combine the two.... then we really are fulfilling our dreams to be birds.

I see where you're going, been there. You run into a diversionary sport, and it's not like you quit BASEing or jumping, or whatevering, it just gets to the point where you haven't been out for a while. At least that's the way I explain it, but I never say I quit. I've been mixing wind and water lately, but want to get into paragliding...

I started kitesurfing before BASE, i was 15 and only could buy one used kite. besides, my geography prevented the sport a lot. i spent about 100 days one summer sitting on the beach waiting for wind. stupid colorado. wait, what am i saying!!! colorado is the BEST!

I did do some sailboarding, and i liked it better than kitesurf, but it was sexier, and i like kites.

maybe if i can dig myself out of 3 grand of debt from a paraglider, i can buy a sailboard.

Men, you're on fire!! You've done it all !!! Hang Gliding, Para Gliding, Kiting, Skydiving and Base Jumping. Did I forget something?
What kites are you flying? Inflatable or open cell? One thing that I love about open cell kites is that you can modify whatever you want to modify and just go try it and feel the results. As long as you don't ride with harness and you don't do jumps with it right after the modification, you might be pretty safe. I wish I was a rigger so I could know more! Right now I'm just doing trial & error :(

Did you ever try the woopy? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj0ri4PG-i4

What abot the bullet from Ozone? I can't believe they sell that to anyone!!!!
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

hahaha... i was not a big kitesurfer.

i only had one Naish AR-5, 11.5 meter used. and i used a wakeboard as my board, i bought that from a freind for 40 dollars.

I currently only have 2 traction kites, both open cell. a 3.6meter and a 5.something. Colorado has shitty wind, so kite snowboarding is what i did. (snowkiting) i havent been under a kite on a board in years though. i was doin it up here when it was super new, and there were only about 5 of us in the state. it was crazy, now there are schools.

I worked at a kite shop for a while, and got SICK deals for kites sadly, they did not sell inflatables, but they did sell some pretty bad ass ramair traction kites. My job was repair. it was awesome.

I was always that kid in school who hated sports, so i made up my own. now me and my 2 best freinds from high school are BASE jumpers. its pretty kick ass.

bullets and nanos kick ass. only ever flown a nano, and it RULES. take a swooping skydive canopy and double the glide ratio.

that thing is fucking rad! yet another flying toy to be added to my evergrowing list. oh well.

Calvin, you could definitely launch. .

sooo.... 4 attempts and a few busted motor peices later....:):PB|:S

My love so far has been the Bego600 a 6 m beauty from MacPara. High Aspect ratio! Great lift, sweet jumps and soft landings. I do buggy & snowkiting. I've made some small modifications to change the projected area so I can adapt it to different winds. This is usually a low wind wing so at 20 km/h it's a beast. The upsetting thing about it is that with powerlines it turns so slow. With breaks it turns faster but it loses power. This one is made from Ripstop nylon not treated with silicon. Do you think that if I spray it with food grade silicon it might improve the turning speed? For sure it's gone to change the power/lift but I can compensate that by reducing the projection area (making it more like a U). ... sigh ... I Hope I'm not going to destroy my kite from all the modifications that pops in my head....sigh...

These days some guy named Mike Steen adapted the bullet into a skydiving canopy. Pretty cool. I think the biggest size for the bullet is 12m = 129 sq ft. How low can they go?:P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTrMQitk5vk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk9H5utUzlA

that thing is fucking rad! yet another flying toy to be added to my evergrowing list. oh well.

What really is cool about the woopy is that apperently you can't stall it. Everytime you change the angle of atack it comes back to neutral flight even if your body is still in a diff position relative to the wing. Or at least that's what they say on the web-site. I hope it does it without losing a lot of altitude...
http://www.woopy-fly.com/