base283

ITW Oct 8 nonfatal

My recollection of what I saw. (UncleCharlie can elaborate)
High experienced wingsuit jumper (great friend also), initiated deployment around 250m, PC extended to what appeared to be full bridle length, then went back in the burble and then did not reinflate on the next extension. From my perspective, the canopy fell out of the rig and floated in his burble and inflated just as the jumper passed below the trees' height. It looked to me as if the jumper flared his flight just before pulling as opposed to pulling in full flight though I could be mistaken.
Take care,
space

That sucks... Heal quick bro

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

From the original report it sounded pretty likely he broke himself somehow. Good to hear

Those who do, can't explain. Those who don't, can't understand.

I just saw the exact same incident in the swiss valley.

Jumper flew a nice flight, pulled at a nice altitude (about. 180 m) over a feeld. There was a so called "lazy pull" where the jumper droppes the pilot close to the body.

The pilot was in a leg pouch and the bridle streached to the point where its attached with a velcro flap top the leg. bounched up and down in the burble a couple of times and then slowley deployed the canopie.

The jumper had about 1-2 seconds in a fully inflated canopie and had an ok landing and no injurys.

Later that week, same jumper missed to find the pilot chute in the pouch and got low again.

Im not trying to rack down on the jumper. We had conversations about this matter and we where both having the same opinions about the issues.

The jumper has about 50 flights from airoplane and less from BASE objects. Jumper was flying a Vampire 1.

Jumper didnt flare out to the max and had a good fligt and a clean body-position in the pull.

--

My own opinion about this.

If you are flying a Wing Suit.

0. Learn how to track first. Tracking is the key to good WS flying.
1. Start with a smaller suit.
2. Learn to fly your suit, just not only stable but good before doing base.
3. Test your WS to the max ie. pulling, headding.
4. The Swiss Valley or other lower things are not the best to start on, you wont get enough air-time to practice.
5. try to ask around for information and sugestions before you try this.

There is a lot of good infromation out there. And you dont have to get the biggest suit just because it is the coolest shit on the market. Without skills you wont have any use of big wings anyway.

remember, this is just my opinions, not necesairly the trouth. make sure to validate this with other opinions.

regards
/Martin
/Martin - Team Bautasten of Sweden

remember, this is just my opinions, not necesairly the trouth. make sure to validate this with other opinions.

My opinion too (or near enough).

Lets cut the bullshit and tell it how it is. If you want to cut corners. You are going to bounce. Die. Be dead. No more jumps. Finished.

Don't be a dickhead. Develop the appropriate skills in the appropriate way. That way you live longer and you do more jumps. You won't bounce (or are much less likely to), you'll be alive. Did I say more Jumps. Never finished.

The choice is yours to make.

Stay Safe
Have Fun
Good Luck
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Sorry about the lack of clarity. He had no injuries, and was on the next load.
take care,
space

Where did he land? What is the consensus on what caused the PC to go back into the burble? Was it a lazy throw? Was he using a Big WS with a BASE pouch?

Kris.

guys,
he did not make any lazy pull nor obvious mistake.. PC hesitation is happening from time to time in skydiving and in BASE, and this is one reason why is good to open higher! ( 150m or higher )
Try to keep the speed and not to flare out before throwing the pilot chute. Trading softer opening with possible no opening is bad idea!!
Same goes for regular base jumps. Pulling low every jump could be painful (very often it is) or fatal - very simple!!
This is statistic!
What could possibly go wrong?! - Well many things!!
Random element of BASE or skydiving or flying or scuba diving or biking is - we can die!!
So be careful
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

Hi guys,

just returned from the Dolomites, so I can react just now.
Me and my pilotchute are friends again, he served me well in the mountains ;)

Take care, Martin