newbie4ever

first terminal questions

i'm going to be doing my first terminal well almost terminal about 9 to 12 seconds im told. i'll probably pull when i'm scared.

but anyway i was planing on using small mesh and a 36". some of the guys are using 38"s and big mesh. and yes they have jumped the sight before. seems like it might smack a little hard for me?
i don't know i'm all sub terminal up tell now. is my choice the right one or just another way to make myself feel comfortable and probably won't matter anyway? i;m guessing i'll barely make the 10 second mark anyway but if i do?

thanks for any help

I've used large mesh on many terminal jumps with no issue. If it's just one jump a day, I think it's unlikely to be a problem for you.

I'd probably use a 32" PC though. In my opinion, the larger PC will increase your chance of a weird malfunction (because it will distort the pack job more as it yanks it out of the container) with no real benefit to you in terms of a faster opening (and not much downside in terms of making the opening harder, either).

Short answer: You'll be fine, and so will your friends.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Short answer: "You'll be fine, and so will your friends".-----------------------------------------
====================================
so are you saying i should use large mesh?or small mesh? i have both what should i put on? i'm not sure if i'll have time to get the 32". but maybe i can get a rush delivery? i know you said i'll be fine. but if i can do it alittle better maybe i'll try.

thanks

Nugget.

Should you have written, "you'll likely die"?
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

so are you saying i should use large mesh?or small mesh?

I'm saying it doesn't matter much. Any combination of the PC's and sliders you mentioned is likely to result in a reasonable parachute over your head a reasonable time after you pitch.

If it were me, I'd use the large mesh slider and a 32". Most people nowadays would probably use the small mesh slider.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Do you know at what altitude you will be at at the 10 sec. delay? If relatively high, say 600' or so you certainly could use small mesh and the 36" pc and be in a good spot altitude wise. If you are worried about a hard opening, I might roll the nose 3 cells on each side towards the center, covering the center cell a bit and get out there and jump!

36 pc large mesh is fine just pull so your not on the "pending list"

Almost all my terminal jumps are with large mesh and a 36' F111 p/c, most were with a FliK Vtec. In the beginning openings were ultra-hard, but with some more jumps on the canopy, direct stow and rolling the nose several times the openings are perfect now.

So, no worries with 36 and large mesh, in case the opening is too hard you will have to experiment what works best for you...just rolling the nose in various degrees, or changing slider to fine mesh etc. On the other hand you will not snivel in due to fine mesh (well...do not pull super low still...), so you can also start with fine mesh and then switch later if the opening is too slow for your taste.

I also tried other combinations, e.g. fine mesh and 32' zero-p pilot chute. It was fine as well, but I prefer the stickiness of normal F111, also for my taste a 32' is just too small and kind of gets lost in the pouch. But all this is highly personal.

For me it is nice to only use the large mesh because then I do not need to change slider for sub-terminal. With my configuration it is enough to roll the nose more or less to adapt openings. You have to find out what works for you.

As Tom said...you'll be fine...have fun...terminal is best ;)

--
Eduard

I might roll the nose 3 cells on each side towards the center, covering the center cell a bit and get out there and jump!

doing that b sure u do it simetrical, if not u might b facing the wall, its just another thing to slow down the opening, and u use 32 PC u dont need to roll the cells

Hi,
If you are to use a ZP PC, I would highly recommend that you use a vented ZP PC with load tapes....Non vented ZP PC’s on terminal jumps have a tendency to oscillate and can potentially cause heading problems and malfunctions.

Preferably (in my humble opinion) I would use a 36f111 pc for terminal jumps but that’s just personal choice.

George
http://georgechurchill.blogspot.com

38" ZP, Fox 245 V-tec loaded at .6, large mesh slider, primary stow, no direct slider control and I get perfectly acceptable openings with 11 sec delays.

Took me about 5 or so jumps to get the right packjob dialed in, but once you have it down it opens just fine. Main thing I changed was that I put the slider up before folding the stablizers. That greatly slowed down my openings compared to when I didn't pull the slider up until just before I started stowing the lines.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

Interesting. I have heard many people suggesting 32V, and I know a few people who have used it on 10-13 seconds (1800ft tower). I have used a 32AV and large mesh (rolled the piss ouf of the left and right nose cells) on a balloon jump, so that doesn't really count (like a 25 second delay) - but recently I was suggested a 36V or 36F111 for 10-12 seconds. - I was planning to jump large mesh since it's just too much pain to switch the sliders out. Question I still cannot answer - what's wrong with a 32V - does it really not generate enough drag ???

Plus 38 seems like a little overkill...

Anybody ?

what's wrong with a 32V

Absolutely nothing.
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

38 might be overkill, but my point was that a 38 with big mesh will not necessarily produce hard openings. I don't even have to roll my nose at all.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

Question I still cannot answer - what's wrong with a 32V - does it really not generate enough drag ???

There's nothing wrong with a 32.

Back in the day, CR used to recommend a 32 for terminal, and BR used to recommend a 36. The CR 32 was made with large hole mesh, and the BR 36 with small hole mesh. The two PC's had different designs, so they performed the same functions (terminal deployments) despite the difference in sizing.

The number associated with a particular manufacturers PC ought to be viewed as a "model name" not a "size measurement". So, two different PC's from two different manufacturers may, in fact, work for the same purpose, despite the fact that they have two different names.

Your best bet is to check the chart put out by the manufacturer of your specific PC, to see what delay range they intended that PC to work in.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Ok, Guess I will have to do the only thing that gives you 100% assurance - test it myself...

:ph34r:

doing that b sure u do it simetrical, if not u might b facing the wall,

dude, check the original post...i think he's jumping a well. :)

so it seems everybody is using a large mesh slider.

i have a pretty good idea why. but i'm going to ask

why not a small mesh? and why big mesh?

thanks! all the responses are great!

why not a small mesh? and why big mesh?

Generally, canopy manufacturers have a recommended slider for each canopy. Your best bet is to stick with whatever they made for your canopy. What canopy are you jumping, and what does the manufacturer say to use with it?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Ive been using 32s and 38s with a small mesh slider for the past 2 weeks for delays between 9- 14 sec Ive packed basically the same on every jump. roll the 3 end cells about 3 times, wrap the nose barely around the edge of the canopy pull the apex of the cell up, fold, and close. for the most part the openings have been excellent,over 90% on heading performance,only 2 less than 90 off headings, brisk but not hard openings, except for 2 jumps, Im pretty sure this is due to not having the primary stow tight against the slider grommets.
as far as pc size both are zp av from asylum, both had good performance and the difference was very small.

I am happy to report that the testing phase is complete and I confirm that 32AV ( both small and large mesh) works fine from 8-12 seconds. ( 265 and 280 canopies )

happy flights