ArnoSchutte

Openning New Objects.

Those who have done it, How do u know it's never been jump before :S? Silly question but I can not find any info on it, The object is in Mozambique, Africa so if anyone jump there would you please PM me ?
Regards

Arnie

Those who have done it, How do u know it's never been jump before :S?

You don't. I can think of lots and lots of cases where someone thought they were the first, and it turned out that others had been there before. Since some folks are jumping without publicizing it, you can almost never be sure.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Opening an object is about the exploration, deciding where to go, choosing the right conditions, the setting you are going to use by yourself without any knowledge or advice of someone who already jump it... it is a personal thing.
Later if you discover you are not the first, it takes away a little bit of shine to your achievement, but you did it without knowing the results (exact results).
Even better, if you are not a loud guy (not publishing that you opened a new exit point), you may never know that you weren't the first, so in your reality, you opened the spot.
Cheers

What does it matter if it has ever been jumped before or not?

It's fun.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

What does it matters ? Quite a big deal for me in the fact that this is the first object I "think/hope" I opened. It is a personal accomplishment and also knowledge gained. If you just want to follow the crowd then be my guest (said with respect). I hope to add to the sport and also about giving back what was given to me.

Do you just jump known objects or do you lead ?
Regards

Arnie

Adam, If I'm correct then you jumped with me on my FJC at TF. I have some pictures of your exits. PM me and I'll forward it.
Regards

Arnie

I completely understand your feelings toward opening a new site, and it definitely would be an accomplishment. For me though it doesn't really matter whether I am the first to jump something or not, as long as I am not the last. The only reason I can think of why I would care if something has been jumped before is whether or not anyone is currently jumping it and has any insight on how to do it "responsibly" so it doesn't get burned.

Do you just jump known objects or do you lead?

This is not quite the distinction you're talking about here, though. A few years back I opened a local big-wall. I didn't know for sure at the time if anyone had jumped it before, but I definitely had not heard of anyone who had (or received beta from them). The jump was scary as hell because of that fact. If I had found out afterward that someone else jumped it first, would it change the experience of "leading"? I think more important than whether or not it's been jumped before is whether you are doing it with or without beta.

Of course, it's a lot of fun to jump something which hasn't been jumped before. But the question of whether someone is a leader or follower, I think, depends entirely on what information they have when they jump the site.

Michael

Does "virgin" give you a hint?

I know one small antenna that a guy claimed to have opend ... well no need to step on the guys happines ;)

PerFlare

Speaking of opening small antenna's...

Nothing is gonna happen soon, but eventually I plan to get my A and an open an A with this object I have been eyeing for a while. This antenna is around 250 feet per the website but the landing areas are an extra 20 feet lower. There are two big landings areas with grass. My gear configuration would be a velcro rig with hand held deployment of a 46" vented pc. Of course given my limited experience it would be a go & throw.

Any comments or suggestions from you real BASE jumpers?
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

Speaking of opening small antenna's...

Nothing is gonna happen soon, but eventually I plan to get my A and an open an A with this object I have been eyeing for a while. This antenna is around 250 feet per the website but the landing areas are an extra 20 feet lower. There are two big landings areas with grass. My gear configuration would be a velcro rig with hand held deployment of a 46" vented pc. Of course given my limited experience it would be a go & throw.

Any comments or suggestions from you real BASE jumpers?

laser the bitch, don't trust the website

Of course given my limited experience it would be a go & throw.

[/#]

That's a go and throw to most people. Give it a 1 second delay. Practice the launch and the throw so you actually know how long 1 second is. Be quick with your reactions. There's no time to hesitate. The rest you'll have to figure out. When the time comes... good luck

As 666 stated, laser it.

PS: If you have any questions, send me a PM and I'll do my best to answer them.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Hi Tom,

You must misstaken me for a real basejumper ... with that in mind.

Like suggested I would make sure of it's hight, you never now and is might be kind of to late to find out in freefall.

What kind of gear du you have, what is the status of the velcro, what size do you jump, is it vented. The guy wires what do the look like ... like where are they placed, what's hight (the lowest one) ... let me clarify ... would it be a option to sink below the last one instead of a raiser turn?

Then you, how many stones are you, whats your exits like usually, small antennas usually have tricky exits, are you scared of hights (like me), would it be tricky to get to the exit with a pilot in your hand, do you have many basejumps, do you had any serious off headings?

I can't really help you if I do not know stuff like that ... one thing maybe ... I would go and throw ... why not ... let me clariy ... if you are standig there and thinking, my god, thats too long canopy time! repack and do it again and smoke it. No need to be doing it all at once.

Otherwise ... if the wind is nice, if your rigging is nice and you exit is nice and your pitch is nice I do not see any problem more then the bad luck that sometimes just happen.

Have fun, if I can answer more questions let me know!

PerFlare
Swedish BASE Team

Blue Skies PerFlare,

Thanks to you and the other guys for the replies! Hopefully one of my BASE friends will come through town and do the jump with me... but if not then I will eventually do it solo with a couple of skydivers as ground crew.

Gear
Used Odyssey container in real good condition and a Dagger 266 almost brand new.

Jumper
I weigh 195 pounds or 88.6 Kilograms, took an FJC, and have a total of 7 BASE jumps all from the Perrine bridge. My exits were scary but stable. Plus I also have a hot air balloon jump, an ultralight jump, and several helicopter jumps that were all smooth & stable.

Wires & LZ
The guide wires do not look to be completey centered, meaning they are not 120 degrees each. Due to the stuff under neath this A it looks like two sets are slightly closer to each other. This combined with the LZ make for 2 nice sides to exit from depending on wind direction. As for their height, maybe 80% of the antenna itself.

Delay
What are the theoretical pros and cons to a Go & Throw versus taking 1 second? If it was a pin rig then I would think the extra speed would help with deployment but being velcro not sure it will make much difference. Thoughts?

Used Odyssey container

The Odyssey is a good rig but has very strong Velcro, if I remember correctly. If you're taking a short delay, I would prime the Velcro first.

Michael

>>it doesn't really matter whether I am the first to jump something or not, as long as I am not the last.<<

That's a Nugget . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Delay
What are the theoretical pros and cons to a Go & Throw versus taking 1 second? If it was a pin rig then I would think the extra speed would help with deployment but being velcro not sure it will make much difference. Thoughts?

Doing a "go and throw" will present your pilot chute sooner, and require more time and distance for the entire process of extraction and inflation to occur. This creates an increased risk of something going wrong durring extraction/inflation such as environmental conditions like wind giving you line twists.

waiting a second, then pitching at a higher velocity will result in a more abreviated extraction and inflation, minimizing environmental factors impact on your opening.

It should also be noted that the overall distance from exit to an open, flying canopy between a go and thow and a 1 second delay is the same. The benefits of waiting the second aren't being open sooner, but rather minimizing the time the canopy is unpacked before you are flying it.
BASE #958

Hi Michael,

I have primed someone's velcro before they jumped but.....because I had planned on wearing the rig (in case I fall and because it is a short climb) not sure how I could do it for myself...Can you please elaborate? Thanks.

If it was a pin rig then I would think the extra speed would help with deployment but being velcro not sure it will make much difference.

This comment makes me wonder if you think that pin rigs take more force to open than velcro rig. This need not be the case. In fact, it is often the other way around. One jumper had a noticable and scary hesitation on a velcro rig this weekend, because his PC took a while to generate enough force to rip it open.

.....because I had planned on wearing the rig (in case I fall and because it is a short climb) not sure how I could do it for myself.

Just prime it before you put it on. Then put it on very carefully, listening to make sure you don't hear velcro peel prematurely.

The Odyssey is a good rig but has very strong Velcro, if I remember correctly.

I can't comment on the velcro. The only Odyssey I have jumped had terrible worn-out velcro that was due for replacement. Also, the Odyssey has less velcro (area-wise) than, say, my Vision.

The real problem with Odyssey is that some older ones don't have stiffened side-flaps. This can allow the side flaps to shrivel with the shrivel flap, creating a shear force again, making it much harder to peel it of. Later Odyssey's have this problem fixed.

Hello Jaap,

Hmm, I thought that the force required to open a double pin rig could vary depending on the canopy packed into it, the gut of the jumper, closing loop lenght, etc.

On the other hand, I thought velcro was supposed to be simpler and required less force, provide the shrivel flap works right. This might have been based on reading a manufacturer's delay chart.

Besides taking a delay is there other ways to prevent a hesitation?

so did your wife die? or is this all just a hypothetical {ie: fake} situation...

werent you recently scared out of the sport, and selling your gear?

just wondering. dont care really. at least you actually made a jump or two..

No my wife did not die!

Yes, I was very scared from watching Shannon die in Twin Falls. Soon as my FJC was over I flew home and sold my gear within a week.

After some time, reflection, and PMs I decided I would like to do another jump. Hence I bought more gear.

As for the situation, it is hypothetical since I am sitting my office, but no it is not fake.

Lastly, I have made 1500 jumps and 7 of those were from the Perrine.