ArnoSchutte

Openning New Objects.

I was very scared from watching Shannon die in Twin Falls.

That sucks and I don't think it is possible to be normal again after such an experience.

After some time, reflection, and PMs I decided I would like to do another jump. Hence I bought more gear.

250' that velcro is coming off!
Just do it!
Monday back at the office, you will feel such relief you won't even want to log on to dropzonedotcom...
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Surely there must be a freestander nearby that has similar height and landing areas. Why make your first A more complicated with guy wires for only 250 feet?

with your high wingloading, low number of basejumps and the low exit height...

I would suggest doing a static line jump first and going from there.

I would also suggest making sure the deep brake settings on that canopy are customized for your exit weight and to jump in winds that are higher than your forward speed in deep brakes, which also bisect the wires.

Those are your most favourable conditions for a first jump off a 250' guyed antenna, start there and repeat until you are sure you want about half the amount of canopy time you are getting, then move to handheld, then keep doing handheld until you are sure you want noticeably less canopy time - then consult your psychiatrist! :P

seriously, no need to be freefalling 250' guyed antennas at this point when the static line is the bomb

cya
sam

because I had planned on wearing the rig (in case I fall and because it is a short climb) not sure how I could do it for myself.

In that case I would be tempted to leave the Velcro alone. It seems like the danger of having the rig come open while climbing is greater than the danger of it staying closed a pull time.

Are the side flaps on your rig stiffened? As Jaap mentioned, non-stiffened side flaps seriously reduce the effectiveness of the shrivel flap.

I'm curious why you've decided to freefall this one. At your experience level, I certainly would have chosen static line. Heck, I'd probably s/l the first time just to get a feel for it. Static line gives excellent heading performance, and also leaves your hands free. It can be awkward moving around with a pc in hand on the side of an antenna.

I thought velcro was supposed to be simpler and required less force

Simpler, yes. Less force, not necessarily. Velcro should provide a more consistent pull force with a variety of pack jobs, but a pin rig with Spectra closing loops can have very low pull force.

Michael

I would suggest doing a static line jump first and going from there.

Finally.

The guy's got 7 base jumps, all from the Perrine.
He's talkin' about opening and freefalling a 250' guyed "A" by himself, and people are encouraging him...:S

How can that scenario sound like a good idea to anyone?
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

Blue Skies Guys,

I did not mean to hijack this thread but the input has been very beneficial -- Thank you all for the posts and the PMs.

Yes, PCA or S/L would be better deployment methods for this object, especially at my experience level.

Yes, there are friendlier antennas in Florida that I should do first to get current before trying this one.

When I am ready to do another BASE jump I will probably visit an experienced jumper to do my 8th.

FYI: I will definitely test jump my canopy several times before taking it to the unforgiving environment of BASE.

Hopefully my willingness to accept good advice shows that I can be taught :)
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

Okay guys, I am a fucking idiot!! [:/]:$

I just figured out that the altitudes listed on the FCC website are in Meters NOT Feet, hence that antenna I was dreaming about is really 475 feet. I went there last night to video it and the landing area and I kept thinking it looked way doable. By the way, I now know there are plenty of taller ones around town.

Feel free to flame away...
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

In that case I would be tempted to leave the Velcro alone. It seems like the danger of having the rig come open while climbing is greater than the danger of it staying closed a pull time.

This is an urban myth IMHO. Any rig can dump including the pin rigs. This was a problem on one of the early pin rig designs that required a redesign. One of the nice things for climbing with a velcro rig is that rarely is the failure catastrophric. Velcro is gradual and noisy.

My general advice is to climb with a quick-draw carabiner system to clip onto the tower for rest and as backup in case of a dump regardless of the type of rig. I had a rig dump on me at 600 feet on a tower and the quick-draw system saved me from being pulled off.

The danger with a pin system for a new jumper is going handheld on a difficult exit point. It's very easy for the jumper to pop his pins while folding the pilot chute and tensioning the bridle to ensure the appropriate bridle slack and length. I would suggest supplemental velcro on a pin rig to prevent inadvertant and premature tensioning of the pins for hand held jumping.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I just figured out that the altitudes listed on the FCC website are in Meters NOT Feet, hence that antenna I was dreaming about is really 475 feet.

250 meters should be 820 feet, not 475.

Are you sure the A you're looking at is even the same one you think you've looked up?
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Here is a link to a great free desktop conversion program that does meters to feet among many other conversions:

Conversion Program

Also, if you type (for example) "202 meters to feet" into Google it will tell you 202 meters = 662.729659 feet.

I know one small antenna that a guy claimed to have opend ... well no need to step on the guys happines ;)

DUDE[:/] say it isnt so:D:ph34r:i were the first.. i know it buuhaaa>:(

:P:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

the altitudes listed on the FCC website are in Meters NOT Feet, hence that antenna I was dreaming about is really 475 feet

250m =820feet
250 feet = 76,23m
:P

475feet=144,82m

Feel free to flame away...

naah just abit teasing:):D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

1m=3.28feet makes it easy on your cellphone:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

It should also be noted that the overall distance from exit to an open, flying canopy between a go and thow and a 1 second delay is the same.

Are they????????

Based on what factors, characteristics, equipment configuration, etc, etc???

e.g. - if you had a bridge approximately 160ft, how would you deploy your gear????? Would you delay one second????? Or would you use appropriate gear configuration and use a modified go and throw technique? Or even a throw and go technique?
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Doing a "go and throw" will present your pilot chute sooner, and require more time and distance for the entire process of extraction and inflation to occur. This creates an increased risk of something going wrong durring extraction/inflation such as environmental conditions like wind giving you line twists.

waiting a second, then pitching at a higher velocity will result in a more abreviated extraction and inflation, minimizing environmental factors impact on your opening.

With a "go and throw" or better yet a simultaneous go and throw you are virtually positioning the PC in zero-air speed with absolutely no burble. At 1 sec of free fall your air-speed is roughly 22 MPH. A 48" PC generates about 15 LBS of force at that speed. Hence, theoretically speaking you should have the container open (fully or partially) by one second. Also if you use the throw-up technique the container should start opening almost as the PC passes the launch point.

On the other hand if you wait one second before pitching it is true that the airspeed is greater but the PC has to inflate first hence burning-up more altitude.

I believe your advice is wrong especially when one tries to FF very low objects. I consider anything below 200’ very low for FF.

All things being equal, if you open at the same altitude with a go and throw than you do with one sec delay, your go and throw technique needs some refinements.

Just my 0.02
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

personally, I think that anything under 250 should be done with a static line if possible, or a pca/buddy assist if necessary: I would not do, or suggest anybody else do a handheld or stowed jump from less than 250. I know that I'm ultra-conservative and even a little bit of a sally when it come to low shit, so that should also be considered when reading this.

As for what rigging conditions I base my comment on: both pin and velcro containers (perigee pro, perigee 2, vision, and softcock), mojo 220, ace 240, fox unvented 260 or 280... don't remember, 42 f111, 42 zeroP-AV, 46 f111 and ZeroP-AV, 48 f111 and ZeroP-AV, and a 50" zeroP (nonav).

This is what was taught to me, and what I have observed. However I admit that I've never specifically jumped with the goal of observing and testing this nugget my mentor gave me, or otherwise verified the numbers mathmatically.
BASE #958

Show me the data, and I will believe you. I want data, not opinions and comments!!!!!!!

Your "equi-distance" theory is based on MANY assumptions. The reality of BASE jumping is that many of those assumptions are missed by certain individuals on certain specific jumps.

What asssumptions:
- p/c material
- p/c size
- p/c construction
- p/c wear and tear
- symmetry of bridle / p/c attachment point and knots
- p/c packing technique
- p/c holding and/or deployment technique
- localised weather (wind / humidity / etc)
- BODY position on exit and one second into the delay
- container characteristics (pins v veclro, etc)
- packing volume v container volume
- etc
- etc
- etc

e.g. a 50 in p/c deployed in a very specific way on a go and throw will perform much better than the same deployed poorly at 1 second. There is also the issue of consistency. F111 performs more consistently than zero P as the airflow is attracted into the p/c.

To make a generalisation like: "a 1 second delay is better than a go and throw is downright dangerous in the wrong hands. What are "wrong hands"? Every new person entering the sport and/or every person who heeds your comment as advice.

This may work above 300ft as you have some degree of a safety margin and you may / may not notice the difference in 25ft or difference in consistency, but at lower altitudes it is a dangerous thing to say.

p.s. 250ft - conservatism is fine.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.