leroydb

Technical advice: Phoenix Fly or homemade track suit tensioning system

For those of you that are using a Phoenix Fly or homemade track suit set up AND are using a tensioning system, I have a question or 2.

#1 Is it better to use a bungee cord type system or a static (no stretch) system?

#2 would you use a combination of the two? Such as static on the pants and bungee for the arms or Vice Versa.

Personally I am taking a liking to the bungee type set up for a couple reasons. One of them is that I think I will have more freedom of movement in general for landing and also freedom of movment for body position in freefall.

Conversly I think that a static system might be better for flight performance for obvious reasons, but this might limit freedom of movement under canopy for your arms and at landing for your legs.

#3 Has anyone here experimented with either the bungee or static techniques discussed above and what were your findings?

I am, for the time being, going to experiment with the bungee system I currently have at the moment...

#4 ...BUT I would love to hear how you setup your suits and how the different setups affected your flight performance, freedom of movement in freefall, and freedom of movement under canopy for landing.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I've made several skydives and a few BASE jumps using bungee cord in my Phoenix Suit. It felt like a noticeable difference in perfomance. I had them pretty tight, but I didn't notice any real restriction at any time at all comared to flying the unmodified suit. I did notice that with the leg bungee, the pants would tend to want to come unsnapped in frefall on long skydives. I came up with a system to attach the pants to the liftweb of my container at each hip. That way you won't find them flapping around your ankles at a bad time. I have not jumped with a static system.

I made a system with a bungee cord.
I made loops on the ends to grip, I've seen people loop them around the thumbs but i won't, if you hold on you just release at pull time.
hold one side in one hand, loop the bungee through the loops on the back of your pants. I use the loops closest to my hips to keep the wing nice and wide.
Here is a tip- it's a pain to hold on to the bungee while donning your rig so, use the loops over your thumbs to hold it in place untill you are geared up, then take them off your thumbs and hold them in your hands.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

I´ve tried the cords for several jumps and for my feeling it helps only in shorter delays(around 400m)....when I jump longer delays like Norway, I put them out, cause I´m really much faster without....and a good friend of mine reconvertet to this, after our Testjumps. And the best track he made only with trackpants but with a tight jacket...not the baggy one. :)

I've tried a static system but I like bungees much better.

For the pants it's a no-brainer. Just go from shoe to shoe through your pants.

For the jacket, you have a few options. Some people have two bungees from their hips to their hands, one on each side. I personally use a single bungee from thumb to thumb going along my back. I experimented with putting it across my chest too. I don't think it matters too much....

I use a pretty tight setup, but since the bungee can slide up across my back I can still reach the risers.

I have a long bungee with three thumbloops. One on each end, and then one a little further in. When gearing up I put the ends of the bungee around my thumbs so I can still reach everything, tie my shoelaces, etcetera. Getting close to jumprun I pull one of the sides further out, put my thumb into the tighter loop (cue Abbie) and stick the end back into my sleeve.

Ready to rumble...

I assume the extra loop is on your left hand?

I sense a hidden mature joke, but I'm struggling... :$

It doesn't matter. I've had it on either side.

Actually, no joke. What I had in mind is that if the loose end came out of the sleeve, it's better that it's on your left hand than your right (pull) hand.

Michael

Actually, no joke. What I had in mind is that if the loose end came out of the sleeve, it's better that it's on your left hand than your right (pull) hand.

Woah, brilliant. I hadn't thought of that. The thumb loop is actually quite small, but nonetheless a risk. Good thinking!

I like that, I will experiment with the cord going across my back tonight. I am having my pants and jacket reinforced today with binding tape and some type 17 webing. I will post pics later.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I have the extra loop on my left hand for reasons you stated. At the same time, if the velcro on the sleeve cuffs (Phoenix Jacket) is in good shape the excess "should" be secure.

I have never tried a static system and I think that any benefit would be out done by the restriction in movement.

Another thing, I found the bungee (I use about a 6mm thick one) makes some noticeable difference in the pants but I am not so sure about the jacket part!??! Maybe I just need some more flights.....
SabreDave

Pictures

Arm Reinforce: the webbing is doubled over and sewn. The webbing is seen in the yellow box, seems are in red

Pants: I have 2 reinforcements, One above the crotch in the groin area (just binding tape), the other near the buttox area(simular to the way the arms are reinforced)

Shoes:
Used french links, and quick release clips.
Leroy

I would like to say,"I seemed to get a better 'wing'."

....But it just seemed like a good place to put them.

I am still experimenting with this so please toss in your 2 pennies and I will test it out.

I will have some pictures taken with it on an tensioned as per my dream of how I have it set up.
Leroy

I played around with differant positions on them. The key is to stiffen the fabric to reduce drag, and also create a larger surfice area.

I tried the back and it didn't help really, other than pulling the crotch down. I started at the tounge of my shoes and then moved them towards the toe-box. the toe-box is where I noticed the best shape (IMO).