Passenger885

base advice

Hey guys,

I made my first 5 base jumps last year off the twin falls bridge in Idaho and of course got hooked, but I promised myself I would not pursue it any further until I owned my own gear. Now that my financial situation is allowing for some new toys I was wondering if I could get any advise on a container. The two I'm looking at are the Gargoyle and the Perigee pro. Any advise on one or the other would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

Well

there is many manufactures that make rigs and chutes.
I don't like to say whos the best cause most of them are my friends.

I just say. get a 2 pin rig from one of the manufactures,

chose amodern BASE Parachute with vents and covers on the vents. make sure that the canopie size fits you, if you are in doubt about the size, just go big!

get the Big Grab rizers and nice pilotchutes and a Jack the ripper hook knife.

I have a gargoyle and a Perigee pro my self, I like them both. but there is more good stuff on the market. But I wont credit any of them more than others.

/martin
/Martin - Team Bautasten of Sweden

Martin hit the nail on the head. Go with either of those rigs and, a few jumps later, it will be your new favourite rig.

Michael

My general advice on a first rig is all in the article here.

More specifically to your question, I own and jump both a Gargoyle and a Perigee Pro. I think they are both great rigs. i personally have a slight preference for the Gargoyle because of the pin cover flap design (I like the crossover better than the wrap around) and the dynamic corners.

Everyone will have their own preferences. As others have noted, whatever you buy will likely be your first choice in another 20 jumps, and 50 jumps after that you'll likely find yourself recommending it to others, whether or not you've ever jumped anything else.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I also have both rigs and like them both. I actually like the wraparound pin cover of the Perigee Pro better than the cross over pin cover of the Gargoyle. It seems to interfere less with the bridle and pins when you are opening and closing it to do pin checks. I also think the metal cutaway housings of the Gargoyle add unnecessary bulk to the rig, but if I ever have to cut away to avoid being dragged under water I may be glad they are there. I like the dynamic corrners of the Gargoyle too.

Does anyone in your crew (esp. people you are learning from) have either rig? If so you may want to go with that one so they can show you the subtleties of packing it.

Thanks for all the advice guys! The guys I jump with have all said the exact same thing I just thought I would throw the question out here to see what I would get. I have seen the Gargoyle and have jumped a Perigee Pro. I liked the Perigee Pro a lot so I think it's going to come down to prices. One more question to those who have a Gargoyle...Dynamic corners as an option? Is that a must have?

Marty at Asylum is awesome, I would go for the Perigee. The customer service you will recive now, and in the future, will alone make all the difference.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Marty at Asylum is awesome, I would go for the Perigee. The customer service you will recive now, and in the future, will alone make all the difference.
~J

Ditto.
what!?

Bingo.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

~J

I won't dispute that statement, but will add that Rob & Kathy at Morpheus know a thing or two about customer service as well...;)
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

check about the delivery dates, one of the manufactors is kind of late :)

now now lets not forget that the combination of todd, jimmy & marta at apex base provides top level customer service, gear and instruction.
http://www.apexbase.com/portal/default.asp
blaine

Dynamic corners as an option? Is that a must have?

I wouldn't say necessarily a must have, but they're very nice and don't add much complexity to the closing sequence. I have a velcro rig without corners and a pin rig with corners (slightly modified Gargoyle), and I plan on getting corners on the next container I buy.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

I have a velcro rig without corners...

You probably already know this, but I'll just add it for the unaware; dynamic corners on a velcro rig are a bad idea. Aside from the fact that wingsuiting with velcro rigs isn't recommended anyway, the bigger problem is that the velcro on the bottom flap isn't enough to keep the container closed. You need the support from the sidewalls through regular corners.

I've seen first hand what can happen otherwise (imagine fellow jumper running away from security guard with his modified velcro rig when suddenly his entire canopy dumps out the bottom of his container....)

...imagine fellow jumper running away from security guard with his modified velcro rig when suddenly his entire canopy dumps out the bottom of his container....

Worse: Imagine fellow jumper in freefall with his bottom flap laying flat on his butt, covering up his PC...
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I looked at the same two rigs when I was considering containers. One mentor has a perigee. The other has both. The mentor with the perigee loves it and won't jump anything else. The one with both loves them both.

I ended up choosing the gargoyle and love it. Rob and Kathy have been great and were very patient with all my questions.

a couple thoughts on gear selection from one newbie to another:
As for dynamic corners I say go for it. Someone told me to avoid them in the beginning because it would make packing more difficult but I haven't had any problems.

I am glad that I didn't go with the line release toggles though. A friend of mine ordered them and they would make me a little nervous to be honest. It's a bit of added complexity where I prefer things to be simple.

Worse: Imagine fellow jumper in freefall with his bottom flap laying flat on his butt, covering up his PC...

The handle wouldn't be covered only the stowed PC, what would be more worrying would be that the handle of the stowed PC would be flapping about with the bottom flap.

now now lets not forget that the combination of todd, jimmy & marta at apex base provides top level customer service, gear and instruction.
http://www.apexbase.com/portal/default.asp

EXACTLY!!!! everybody is going to say what they're doing is the best! it's human nature. i have 2 apex containers and canopys. and right there that says alot. isn't APEX the only company that does it all. canopies. containers. first jump course. pilot chutes. etc. most places only do one or the other (containers or canopies). it's alot shit they do there.

they don't farm anything out (maybe there H2O CANOPY) so at least give them a call too or a look at the website. TODDs ALWAYS been cool to me and all my stupid questions. he really enjoys your interest in the sport will actually talk you out of things instead of selling them to you sometimes. he's really cool like that. he's not just in it for the buck. and has always given outstanding customer service to me. never any B.S.

but it really comes down to buying from a major manufacture and reputable one. i've never dealt with asylum- but never ever heard a bad word so there you go.

i have dealt with rob and kathy (WINGSUITS the acro and vampire 2) and they where really cool. and very informative again with all my stupid questions.

so again just go with one of the majors and you'll be fine.
NPS SUX ASS

I am letting them play together on the grass... I am hoping they will make some little ones but get the feeling they are both female.

You should be happy with either. One thing that can be said (and already has been said) is that I have very rarely, even in areas other than BASE, come across an outstanding level of service such as that given by Asylum and CR. That would make a difference if I was to order a container at this stage.

Good luck

I think the content of this thread puts you in two different taxis heading on parallel roads....
but both arrive safely at the same destination..

PS I love my Gargoyle...:)

i have 2 apex containers and canopys. and right there that says alot.

Woah! Dude you jump Apex gear? I'm gonna go buy some!!!!
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

your gear is just a way of getting off the ride...if its maintained properly and made properly then any BASE specific set up is suitable...i have jumped almost all the gear thats around in some configuration or other..some i like some i dont but put me in a room with ten other jumpers and our oppinions will differ..the easiest way is stick with what you know..if you cant do that buy a gargoyle with a troll...coz they rock...IMHO

i have 2 apex containers and canopys. and right there that says alot.

Woah! Dude you jump Apex gear? I'm gonna go buy some!!!!

ha ha "guy" like the ones' you're afraid of!!

the point being APEX (I THINK) are the only ones who do both containers and canopies and everything else. don't you own APEX?

OH YEAH, your moving on over somewhere else. it's all the same. i'm sure it will work just like your present gear does. as long as you have a stable exit!!

OH YEAH AGAIN congrats on your first solo. soloS are quite peaceful. it's amazing the stuff that goes through your mind on a solo jump. especially off a smoke stack oooooooooh yeah!!! nice!!!! real nice!!!!

later
NPS SUX ASS

thats the coolest thing ive ever heard u should be a writer or at least a
flying rat
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad