AndrewKarnowski

Getting into BASE in a flat state

Hello, all

I've been trying to get into the BASE world for a while now. although i have relativelly low jump numbers, I got into skydiving to BASE. I've put an emphasis on accuracy and canopy control.

My main problem seems to be where I live. Kansas is a fairly flat state with nothing for inexperienced newbie jumpers.

secondly almost every BASE jumper i've been in contact with in my area has either quit due to family obligations or too busy (most live about 2 hours away) to entertain my newbie antics.

any suggestions for a wanna be BASE jumper in kansas?

thanks, andrew

dude, there is no jumping in kansas. i dont think anyone has ever even base jumped in that state before.

-SPACE-

Finish your studies, move to another state, make some money, get more skydives, get more technical knowledge.

Just one word, "Antennas" :P
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

most live about 2 hours away)

So? Every other weekend (sometimes every weekend) in the winter I'll travel 10+ hours round trip to jump somewhere.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

My main problem seems to be where I live. Kansas is a fairly flat state with nothing for inexperienced newbie jumpers

No dude.

Your main problem is you are lazy and want it all on a platter. You are two (count them) states away from idaho and a perfect training ground for the new BASE jumper. You live in a country with cheap gas (which equates to cheap skydiving jump tickets), with skydiving facilities which are second to none, with more BASE jumpers per capita than any other country in the world, and still you're not satisfied.

No wonder the locals are avoiding you. Show some commitment. Put in some effort.

If you did some homework and made even a vague effort, you'd realise that a flat state isn't a set back, it's a blessing.

In hilly regions companies use the naturally available altitude (hills and mountains) to plonk small antennas on in order to transmit far and wide. (ask a swiss jumper about antennas). In flat areas they have to create that altitude by building tall towers. And short of a very ,very, very safe bridge (which you have a very ,very, very short drive away) towers with the right winds, right equipment and config, right training and right approach are about as suitable a BASE jump for newbies as you can get.

It's all there on your doorstep. You obviously just don't want it as much as you say you do.

ian

Andrew-

Have you talked to Chris A or Little Joe about BASE jumping? Those guys will be able to give you more information about local jumping then you will be able to get on here.

Also are you really going to Bridge Day and jumping as stated on your website?

I'll see you on Saturday at the boogie. I'll probably be the only guy jumping a wingsuit so stop by and say hi.

Later.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

A user search for Primary Discipline: BASE Jumping, and Location: North America/United States/Kansas returns 5 hits. I can think of several more Kansas jumpers right off the top of my head.

Here's some help to get you started:

bps
Donk (web site with contact info (in Kansas))
BASE864
Zoomee (also has a Kansas BASE web site, reading, in large, flaming letters "BASE Hot Line")

I recommend doing a little more searching before giving up.

If a 2 hour drive seems like too much commitment to you, I'd seriously reconsider your desire to BASE jump. Literally hundreds of active jumpers drive more than that distance for the their regular fix.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Dude-

I just did a search for A's in Kansas between 80 and 700 meters and got 1294 matches.

If you flik one of them every day, you should be busy for a little more than 3 1/2 years...

Have fun...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Hey Kurt,

Can you please send me a link to the website where you did that search? Thanks bro.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

any suggestions for a wanna be BASE jumper in kansas?

yes--
man up and show some real interest. No-one will want to mentor you if you don't care enough to do what it takes.

Take this opportunity to REALLY think about if BASE jumping is right for you...no bullshit.

just be thankful that you dont have a flat COUNTRY. [:/]

haha funny

there is a 1800ft cliff that no1 has gave the time/commitment/balls yet to jump

I'm sure there would be a country out there with no cliff over 1000ft

also if oz base crew would invest in a few million tonnes of TNT I'm sure they could turn planty of hills into cliffs :D

Here's some help to get you started:

bps
Donk (web site with contact info (in Kansas))
BASE864
Zoomee (also has a Kansas BASE web site, reading, in large, flaming letters "BASE Hot Line")

I just want to clarify that those on the BASE Hotline are not "flaming". However, we are willing to learn. :P

Is this the same Andrew who puked and passed out at in our camp at Couch Freaks??? :o Send me a PM.

Kansas: There's is no place like home.

I'm sure there would be a country out there with no cliff over 1000ft

Yeah... Laugh as much as you want... But our highest cliff is 38m (about 124 feet). As Iiro once put it, Finland is flat as a transvestite. :)
http://www.ufufreefly.com

I agree with you my friend !! ;););) guys, find me flatter country than Finland? really...:P

I agree with you my friend !! ;););) guys, find me flatter country than Finland? really...:P

Holland?

Kuwait?

Hey Kurt,

Can you please send me a link to the website where you did that search? Thanks bro.

Do you have a mentor and modern BASE gear?

j/k PM sent
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Patience young Andrew - only then will you learn the secrets of the Dark Side.

You're getting ready to make the first step - Bridge Day. However, you will need to make a bigger step - and that is to buy gear. Bridge Day will be a great opportunity to find something that suits your needs and see if BASE is your thing.

Keep skydiving all you can and keeping working on your accuracy. Those skills are invaluable.

As for BASE in Kansas - it's available. However, it's not avalable to a newbie skydiver with no BASE experience or even gear. You have to put in your time and prove that you are worthy.

If you don't take to heart anything else that was said here - just remember this - DON'T STRIKE OUT ON YOUR OWN. You're only asking for trouble if you do. We're here to help you - just be patient. Ask in person....

Later,
BASE864

Hey Kurt,

.........and modern BASE gear?

j/k PM sent

his modern BASE gear is being drooled on by my filthy animal right now. now, where did i put that white widow??? oh ya! right next to my swizzler! YAY!
what!?

BASE864 comes out to our dropzone often, but has taken a laid back roll in base/skydiving lately. He is my main mentor w/ experience currentlly.

Andrew - not that it's anyone's business, but does my 6 month medical hiatus from jumping have anything to do with your comment? There was a reason I missed the greatest skydiving boogie of the year.

I also won't excuse the fact that my "laid-back roll" means that I have other obligations besides jumping all the time. If you never have to juggle a career, mortgage, family, and other duties, then good for you.

Later,
BASE864

so ian,
looks like you jumped the gun on being such an asshole...
appears he has looked into it.
keep your friggin hostility to yourself.
once again, let the tom's & nick's and friendly people respond to the newbies
you hostile people keep to yourself.
blaine