AndrewKarnowski

Getting into BASE in a flat state

For all involved in this thread. I know Andrew personally and don't believe he meant any harm with his postings, he was asking questions I could not answer for him.

I will speak with him personally this evening.
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Andrew sent me a PM - I dig the tenacity...kind of :P We'll have a face-to-face and get this all squared away; the KSU BASE FJC thing we talked about. B|

All other "potential" first timers - Try to be patient and understand that BASE jumping is not like skydiving, in that you can't just show up at your local BASE site, pay few hundred $$$ and jump... you can only do that at Perrine and NRGB. ;)

BASE will open the doors to amazing places (Malaysia, Thailand, all over Europe and Norway, and some cool spots in the US) and the people are the best (well most of them :P ). It is a great world and I would encourage anybody with the right skill set and mentality to join it...but knowing the risks. I have had a few friends die and many more busted up. BASE can be dangerous game but with the right tools and attitude you can enjoy a long adventurous BASE ride...but it starts out slow. Ground crew a few jumps, watch, listen, and learn. And if you are not close to a BASE Mecca then talk with the BASE manufactures and sign up for a FJCs.

Bridge Day is a great place to do that first jump (though I think the 50 skydive minimum is to low) and/or Perrine with a FJC or experienced crew. I highly recommend Tom A or APEX BASE's FJC. Great people with a ton on knowledge but finding qualified mentors and have the right baseline skill set is critical to long term knowledge transfer.

Play safe,

Donk

bmsbase

Looks like i jumped the gun??? Did I? Re-read the thread. Still seems lazy and impatient, still seems unwilling to make any effort and do any research. But hey, that's just cos i'm an asshole.

Oh and Blaine, this is a forum for discussion/debate, not a hippy love in commune, so if i want to be critical then i will be.

And you've just defeated your own argument by being hostile to me, which you should have kept to yourself.....dumb asshole!

ian

you haven't missed it yet! moab starts 28 september.
booyah,
RJ$$
word to your mother,
RJ$$
BASE 1117

However, you will need to make a bigger step - and that is to buy gear. .

No wonder it took me so long to get a rig. I thought somebody told me to "buy beer". ;)

Andrew
I have made plenty of base jumps here int his flat state and for the life of me can't see what the problem is.
You have to make efforts and understand that things just don't happen because you want them to.
Buy gear and beer. ask to ground crew a few times and learn as much as possible.
people like Donk, JJ and Zoom all helped me along the way, but I did not expect them to and it was on thier time and I never asked fro anything more then that.
If things are not moving fast enough for you then perhaps you should look into a first base course and go from there.
good luck.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

You should see what happens when they leave the state........... oh wait.... you have......
Jay Epstein Ramirez
www.adrenalineexploits.com

secondly almost every BASE jumper i've been in contact with in my area has either quit due to family obligations or too busy (most live about 2 hours away) to entertain my newbie antics.

I drove 1578 miles non-stop('cept for gas) to be entertained by Abbie.:S
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Hmmm, I do see a problem. People don't want to sell you gear without a mentor and a course of action.

Your locals seem to be telling you to buy gear so they'll know your serious.

These views are conflicting, to say the least.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

a plane ticket to TF can't be that much if you don't feel like driving there.

. . . .BASE is not free man. If you're not willing to put in the money or set aside the time necessary to get er done, then perhaps you need to reconsider. You're going to need to commit alot of time to this sport if you want to do it as safely as possible.

I can tell you I'd have plenty more BASE jumps under my belt if I was willing to commit the time required to the sport. But right now, I've got other stuff I'm more interested in pursuing. Fortunately, BASE is going nowhere. Maybe you need to remind yourself of that.

Cheers,

JP

Ok I'd like to speak on Andrew's behalf before this gets taking any more out of context and turns into a bit bitch fest.

First off, he's not lazy in any way shape or form, so we can cut that out of the post already. He pursued his riggers ticket to help better understand gear, canopies and packing.

Is it considered lazy to own every BASE video you can get your hand on, download every BASE video from skydivingmovies.com, view them and see if they were slider up, down, how the toggles were set, how long of a dealy, head low, head high, shoulder dropped, offer heading etc?????

Before many of you made your first jump, did you spend every day at the local pool during the summer practicing exits off the diving boards for an hour practicing stable exits?

Pictures hang on his walls of the brdige and landing area for NRGB, he knows how each off heading opening will effect him off the bridge, how long of a delay, where he'll land etc.

He's dedicated all his landings to practicing approaches and on large f111 canopies instead of zp.

He's printed out BASEwiki and read everything else he can get his hands on about BASE jumping.

His reason for this post was to ask for MORE advice, not to be dogged by those he looked up to as his mentors. I understand how the community is, there are lots of people who want to jump who shouldn't or that could damage the repuation of the sport, but before hounding the poor kid and calling him lazy because he was actually ASKING for advice as to other ways he could get into the sport and finding humor in that Kansas was a flat state, not that there wasn't jumping in Kansas.

That's my rant, I've known him since he was a student, I was his instructor, I took him out of the plane a number of times, trained him in the tunnel, in the air and have watched him progress through skydiving and observed his dedication towards BASE. He's the furthest thing from lazy, he just seaks information.

That is all.
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

Something that every new BASE jumper has to understand, and that most have trouble grappling with:

Those old guys can actually find themselves wanting to go do other things aside from BASE jump. As a new jumper, we all wanted to jump every night, and we all hounded every older jumper we could find to take us out constantly. And, we were all disappointed that they didn't seem to jump as much as we wanted to.

That's normal, and natural. When you're new, you have a lot of enthusiasm. But, unlike skydiving, you can't just show up at the DZ and have loads going. So, you get frustrated. Some people start to take it personally (what's wrong with me? how come none of those guys want to jump with me?), not realizing that it's just that those older guys have wives, children, careers, and heck, beer drinking, that may come before climbing a tower at 2 in the morning.

We've all been there, and we all know how it feels. Don't take it personally when someone with hundreds of jumps just doesn't feel like going out tonight. In a couple of hundred jumps, you're going to be that guy, too.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Is it considered lazy to own every BASE video you can get your hand on, download every BASE video from skydivingmovies.com, view them and see if they were slider up, down, how the toggles were set, how long of a dealy, head low, head high, shoulder dropped, offer heading etc?????

Pictures hang on his walls of the brdige and landing area for NRGB, he knows how each off heading opening will effect him off the bridge, how long of a delay, where he'll land etc.

Pissing myself at this gem. It's just twisted.

I do understand where you're coming from though. I've been knocked back in my attempts at a new career as a trauma surgeon. I'm deadly serious about it too. Watched all the episodes of ER i could get my hands on, taken notes on all the important life saving precedures, but still the medical community won't take me seriously. I have a plan though. Just ordered SCRUBS off amazon. I'll show them.

ian

I have a plan though. Just ordered SCRUBS off amazon. I'll show them.

ian

hey... a little off topic, but can i borrow those when you're done... i have a slight interest in surgery as well...

Nothing against Andrew, but good one. That was witty.

Personally, I figure if you think he isn't putting in enough effort, why would you tell him? If he's not willing to put in the effort, let him give up.

Tom, I think you're stereotyping. Most experienced BASE jumpers are younger than me. 'Cept for Nick DG and Johnny Gates.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I hear what you're saying man. I think the whole "2 hour drive comment" though is what made me get the vibe of laziness and lack of motivation to some degree.

. . . .Believe me I should not be one to criticize anyone. I've got my handful of BASE jumps (all from bridges) and I could have definately gone after more jumps if I had the proper motivation. But right now I don't I am more focused on a big climb up Denali next year. It's a big trip. AK is a long way from California. A trip like this requires a great deal of training and planning. Kind of like BASE does if you're going to really go after it.

My reason for harping on Andrew a bit was meant to be constructive. For alot of us, BASE is about timing. Those that really want it make the time. After reading your comments, sounds like Andrew is definately on the right track. But hopefully a 2 hour car ride won't stand in the way with making it happen.

If I offended Andrew I apologize.

Cheers,

JP

find me flatter country than Finland? really...

DENMARK....

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Ha ha your greate mate:ph34r: dont let them soft Americans get you.im here to back you up:ph34r:

Andrew,get more jumps under your belt,arrenge whith local BASEjumpers that you can GC,when your ready for gear im sure they will step forward and tell the manufactors that they will mentor you so you can get gear.

Listen to Ian,he tells you somthing right here even as it appers that he is abit harsh to you.But theres a reasson..
He think of you and your safety,and following the things he said will help you,He had his reassons..

The surgery thing is so he can fix himself each time he hurt himself,dont worry his from UK he can take it:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber