leroydb

Protecting People From Themselves

Very often, people who have addictive personalities, will rely yet again for external controls for self-regulation. This is merely smoke and mirrors; and in the long run, it will do nothing to curb their behavior. Behavioralists believe otherwise and are making a good living proclaiming the dogma of "The Ghost of the Machine,"

BREAK
1 Ghost of the Machine: One of three false doctrines, with absolutely no scientific credence that is pervasive in political, educational, psychological, and social arenas worldwide. EX: It's a cop out. I am a crack ho, because my momma dropped me on my head. It's not my fault. get it?
2 The Doctrine of the Noble Savage - we are all innately good, loving, and kind people. It is only society that interferes with our otherwise, peaceable development.
3. Tabula rasa (from wikipedia)(Latin: scraped tablet or clean slate) refers to the epistemological thesis that individual human beings are born with no innate or built-in mental content, in a word, "blank", and that their entire resource of knowledge is built up gradually from their experiences and sensory perceptions of the outside world.

END BREAK
Ghost of the Machine is one of three I detest the most. Until an individual begins to accept personal responsibility for their actions and takes action towards betterment, nothing can be done to aid that individual.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

McCoy: Please, Spock, do me a favour, and don't say it's "fascinating"!
Spock: No, but it is... interesting.

:S
Memento Audere Semper

We all have the ability to make our own choices but, with incorrect or incomplete information, we may make the wrong ones or take the wrong decisions. The difference comes in whether we continue to make the same mistakes and blame others, or learn from them and move on.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13