Mikki_ZH

Anybody knows anything about a fatality??

Hi,

From what I hear, (third hand) is that a very nice, well liked Austrian jumper went in trying to clear a ledge on their terminal wall. I have heard that he had cleared the ledge previously without any problems.

My sincear condolences to friends and family in what must be the hardest possible times.

George
http://georgechurchill.blogspot.com

can anybody translate that article...

Translation posted to BLiNC:

Base jumper found dead

A Steirmark-region Extreme-parachuter had an accident at Dachstein. By a jump from the highest mountain of the Steiermark prallte onto the Dachstein southwall.

For BASE jumpers the nervous feeling (or tickle) is almost a craving: They jump with parachutes – mostly illegal – from high buildings or over steep cliffs. For a 27 year old extreme-parachuter from Obersteiermark, his actions ended with death: from a jump from the highest mountain of the Steiermark prallte onto the Dachstein southwall.

Normal fall. Generally, BASE jumpers always jump together, so that they can document their jumps. Bernd St. (27) from Hall bei Admont was also with a colleague from Salzburg when they rode the cablecar to the top of Dachstein, with the intent to hurl themselves into the deep over the southwall. The jumper from Salzburg jumped first, then the jumper from the Steirmark region. At about 2000 Meters high (assuming ASL) the 27 year old experienced some problems, the cause of which is unknown, and went too close to the wall. He bounced against the cliff, his parachute opened and got caught and Bernd St. stayed there hanging from the lines without his life.

Accident guess. The police first thought it was an accident from a paraglider. “We didn’t know whether the man was still alive”, (unsure of end of sentence). The team from the rescue helicopter “Christophorus 14” was called in. Pilot Gerhard Brunner explains: “It was an extremely hard rescue, because we have to be careful that the man wasn’t blown further down from the whirl-wind of the rotor blades.” Therefore a rescuer abseiled down to the 27 year old with an 80m long rope/cable.

-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

From Miko:

it´s true, Bernd, one of our best friends died last saturday on our terminal cliff :-(

we don´t know what´s happened exactly, but after a talk with some peoples who watched the accident and after a talk with the rescue team we think it was so:
bernd was packed (troll mdv, gargoyle, 36pc) for a 20+ sec. delay. 250 meters below the exit, there is a big ledge. bernd knows the cliff very well and days ago, he did a delay from more then 25 sec. normaly, u can pass the ledge with a good track.
bernd and one of our other friend did a 2way jump. (both with track suit) bernd was the 2nd jumper. it´s not 100% sure, but we think, bernd slipped out on the exit on the many loose rocks there. after the exit, he must be in very big troubles, because he pulled above the ledge. in opening time, he crashed into the ledge with high speed and died immediately. after that, the canopy opened completely and the wind was playing with bernds body. 500m lower, some rocks stopped that. the canopy must be open a longer time, because some peoples who watched this thought, it was a paragliding accident. A, who jumped with bernd had a very nice long delay and after landing he saw, nobody was around or behind him.

Bernd was a very excellent jumper. it was his 111th jump, most of them slider up.
Yesterday, i visit bernd parents and we watched a lot of pictures.on every pic, bernd is smiling.

sorry for this bad news, greetings from austria

Miko

Sincerest condolonces to his family and friends.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Dark times it is.

All the thoughts and greetings to all of you and his family, from Sweden and Team Bautasten.
/Martin - Team Bautasten of Sweden

I´m very sad to read that Austria has another fatality! As a still suffering friend of one victim of your sport (#87) I send deepest condolences to Bernds family and friends.

fly free my friend! i´ll see you on the other side!

i´ll never forget your smile and positiv influence on everybody around you!

cya!

andY

My condolences to your family and friends
bad news in this time :(
Fly free.........
Maury