baseknut

riser hardware?

does anyone know the proper term for the piece of metal hardware connecting the shoulder strap to the riser? ring one of the 3 ring set-up.
Step into my (sub)terminal Playground

Looking at Paragear, it seems to be a "number 10 style ring", but I think more people would know it as the big ring in a set of 3-rings.

Michael

Edited to clarify the link

It's called RW and a number (the RW stands for Relative Workshop, which is the original designer/manufacturer of the 3 ring system).

The RW10 and RW01 are both large rings, if I remember correctly. One of them (I think it's the 10) is slightly thicker and beefier, and intended for Tandems. The other is intended for skydiving rigs. I think the RW8 is the small ring. I believe they get designated with and S at the end for stainless, so the RW8S would be the bottom piece on a small stainless 3 ring assembly.

If you want to know for sure, give Rob at Morpheus a call. He's the one who explained this all to me several years ago (so no fault of his if I can't remember it exactly right, and screwed up the numbers).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

The proper term for the piece of metal hardware connecting the shoulder strap to the riser:

The Large Ring.

Not all are marked with RW since not all are manufactured by RW.
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

Harness Ring.

Can be Style ring but I've never heard it referred as such except in Paragear. Commonly it's the large ring or big ring. We know what you mean.

DJ Associates
Scroll to the bottom
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

It's better to call it the, "harness ring." That way everything else means on a riser . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Can be Style ring but I've never heard it referred as such except in Paragear.

:P I don't think they're actually calling it a "style ring". I think it's a "number 10-style ring". I like the term "harness ring". I suppose it should probably be called a "number 10 harness ring", assuming we're talking about the big ones.

Michael

You're right. I'm still on Malaysia time so that sleep thing has eluded me for a couple days. :)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto