KevinSpencer

Packing with Line Twist

Has anyone ever put line twist into there pack job to practise Flying with/getting out of line twist at twin? Is it a bad/good idea?

Kev
River City Crew Rocks

Has anyone ever put line twist into there pack job to practise Flying with/getting out of line twist at twin? Is it a bad/good idea?

Kev

Jaap in 3.....2.....1;)
SabreDave

Try it out of a plane with a reserve and many thousands of feet if you want to be "safe".
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Kev

Jaap in 3.....2.....1;)

Interestingly, I think Jaap has done that.

I've done it. Be prepared for a weird feeling opening (harder or softer), and get Don in the water under you in case things go bad.

Any time you try to induce malfunctions in your own (single) parachute, you're taking your life in your hands. Be sure you're prepared to deal with the consequences, no matter what they may be.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Jaap in 3.....2.....1;)

Sorry I'm late. I was in a meeting... :D

Anyway, I've done this several times at the Perrine as well as in skydiving. Just because I'm still alive doesn't mean you should try it of course, but a heads-up jumper ought to be able to pull this off without dying.

On my skydives I've always done it without a D-bag, just freepacking my BASE canopy. I see no reason however why you couldn't do it with a D-bag. I can't recommend using small canopies though.

Skydives give you lots of time while in linetwist to try and climb above it and steer by just pulling on line-groups. This is great practice. Ofcourse, you could also pack normally (without line-twist), open high, and then kick yourself into linetwist after opening. This is a safe start to get a feel for how your canopy flies in line-twist.

At the bridge, I've done them at night, during the day, up to three full twists, near the canopy, in the middle, as well as at the risers. I've always been able to make it out on time and land on the beach without a problem. Just open high (go handheld).

The most useful thing I recommend doing is using linetwist such that you'll open up flying underneath the bridge (a whole number if you do a floater exit, a whole-and-a-half number if you do a normal exit). Now try climbing above the linetwist and turn the canopy around before you kick yourself out of linetwist.

Especially if you are a very experienced skydiver, you may have a built-in tendency to kick out of the twist first before you start flying. You want to kick that habit, climb above the linetwist, and start flying away from the object.

I recall one incident where I asked somebody else to put in one linetwist (without me looking to make it harder) as low as possible on the risers. When I jumped the linetwist pinched my full face helmet down (slamming my chincup on my chest). I was flailing my arms above my head trying to reach lines but there was nothing I could do. I bailed, kicked out of linetwist first, and then turned it around (and landed fine).

Fortunately that was at the Perrine, otherwise I might have had to spend some time on the wall again. That said, I don't think having linetwist that low is a common occurence. My own recollection of accidental linetwist, and having seen many video of them, is that linetwist tends to appear at the middle of the lines or higher.

Bah, long story. Too long. To answer your question...

Yeah, I've done it. Many times. I think it's a great idea. And while you're at it, toggle-releases are another great minor malfunction to practice in Twin Falls. Caveat emptor.

What do you think are your chances of hurting or killing yourself on such 'practice' jump? (consider all things that may transform the situation from 'practice' to real emergency) -- that's X (e.g. X=0.05)

What do you think are the chances that this 'practice' will save you on some 'real' linetwist jump? (consider that each emergency situation is different; reflexes are formed by repeatable experiences, performed many times) -- that's Y (e.g. Y=0.2)

What do you think are the chances of that 'real' linetwist jump happening? (how often do you get linetwists with your setup and type of jumping?) -- that's Z (e.g. Z=0.01)

Is Y*Z much greater than X?

;)
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

do it as a BASEjump is jackass,if you didnt tryed line twists in skydiving you probaly shouldnt BASE(just my oppinion),placing linetwists or other mal. to your 1 canopy low envioment equipment is just plain stupied,if you ask me,if you want a acsident to come then it is the right thing to do...if not then go test it in the safe envioment(skydiving)

Note: i saw a girl having line twists off the Perrine last year she got hurt,and im sure her pretty legs aint that pretty any more(just a guess as i dont know her),Acsidents still happens at places we call safe envioments..

just my 0.2

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

????

When I read those kind of stupid questions, I realize that some people doesnt know really what your goals are.
You think that put a malfunction packjob is going to training you for a real situation???, for sure NO
For sure if you never kick a twist line on a (lets say stiletto or spinletto)skydiving canopy, you have a lot to learn my friend.
Be inteligent and use your energy doing smart stuff and enjoing BASE jumping, you will have then your skills when the problem arribe some day.

Or ;) I have a terrific!! idea!!, why you dont hang your rig from a tree and with a beautyfull knot on your lines wrap, you can put as much twist lines as you want and repeat it thousands of times and you become the master of Kicking twistlines:D, is like a wind tunnel ob BASE jumping twist line malfunctions, ISNT A GREAT IDEAAAAAA!!!!.
YEAHHH:o

Please dont try to be smart than normal, and solve problems that doesnt exist, you can confuse yourself and ending doing parasail.B|

Or also you can try open in headdown, with a line over, with your links attach with a pull upcord, with a premature open container, etc.;), so then you are ready to became the MASTER OF SOLVING BASE MALFUNCTION EVER !!! and you can made a Tshirt, I want one.

NICO

Jaap,

This thread always fascinates me as I wonder how prepared does one need to be to accept and react to certain deliverance from the universe. And although I accept that the answer is "as prepared as one can be" it still fascinates me because then I wonder ... How many times have you taken steel wool to your genitals to see how ready you can react to herpes or other diseases? ... How many times have you walked into a wall to see how quick you could turn away before hitting it?

Sometimes it seems like a trivial thing to manipulate the variables of life to experience a certain thing(in the safest manner) but no matter how safe the playground, I always wonder if more of the experience of certain opening characteristics is about SURPRISE then about familairity, even if you have seen it many times before. I think the real preparation is just have someone else do the packjob and have you experience the surprise of them manipulating the variables with the only rules being that the canopy has to get to at least line stretch. NOW that is the best simulation of these events that one can get for practice.

Now come across the mountains and watch dave sleep with the grizzlies. He is so dirty when he feels the fur!

...as I wonder how prepared does one need to be to accept...

I certainly won't argue that line-twist practice is among the most important things to do in preparing for BASE jumps. Heck, most have never done it and they're definitely safer jumpers than I am.

A much bigger reason that I play around with this kind of thing is just because it's fun. Aerials in BASE scare me (and that's with three years of gymnast trampoline experience) and always flat and stable at the Perrine ain't all that either. So I find other ways to play...

well fwiw, i think that packing line twists from the potato is a good idea... not for everyone, obviously, but a decent exersize.

you could always do this under canopy from 5k too, but it just aint the same, without a relative object..

It's interesting that at least two posters here have specifically said this kind of practice is useless because we all know how to kick out of line twists. If the first thing that comes to mind when you think "line twists in BASE" is "kick out of them", what do you think is the first think you'll do when they actually happen? Will you still be kicking when you hit the wall?

It would be pointless to practice kicking out of line twists. But it might be very helpful to build habits like climbing above the line twists to correct heading. It's hard to do that if you've never tried it out in a situation where it matters.

Michael

I recall one incident where I asked somebody else to put in one linetwist (without me looking to make it harder) as low as possible on the risers. When I jumped the linetwist pinched my full face helmet down (slamming my chincup on my chest). I was flailing my arms above my head trying to reach lines but there was nothing I could do. I bailed, kicked out of linetwist first, and then turned it around (and landed fine).

Fortunately that was at the Perrine, otherwise I might have had to spend some time on the wall again. That said, I don't think having linetwist that low is a common occurence

I've had a 180 with a half linetwist that low on a 3 sec slider off from 550 on an antenna.

My head was pinned, I couldn't get the risers, I couldn't turn head to see where I'm flying.

I managed to get a rear riser linegroup (hooray for red centre C-D lines!!!) and haul on that to turn it around. By luck I grabbed the side that undid the halftwist as I turned her around.

I've had a few different kind of 180s, but that one was super scary.

cya