traker

bringing gear into the airport....

Hey guys!

I am heading to Twin Falls for my FJC next week. I had spotted an article that could be printed from either the CSPA or USPA pertaining to bringing our gear as carry on in the planes. I would feel far more comfortable having it with me at all times. Does anyone know what article/letter I am talking about?

Thanks...

"we can either clmib down...or take the 15 second express shuttle" ---- during a snow storm on a 1000 foot antenna

Look under the Homeland Security Administration for carry-ons. There is a whole page on rigs.

My experience has been screeners don't want to mess with your rig...they just want to swab it to test for explosives.

One of the screeners at TWF used to be a smokejumper...
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

I wasn't allowed to carry my skydiving rig on board with me when I travelled from Vancouver BC to Denver CO recently. But I was allowed to carry it on with me on the return trip. In otherwords, there is a good chance the Canadian authorities will NOT let you carry it on board with you. But you'll never know if you don't try.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Is this what you're looking for?
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I am heading to Twin Falls for my FJC next week. I had spotted an article that could be printed from either the CSPA or USPA pertaining to bringing our gear as carry on in the planes. I would feel far more comfortable having it with me at all times. Does anyone know what article/letter I am talking about?

maybe consider shipping it...
avoid the potential of airport hassles.

- it's how most manufacturers get new product to customers.
- since you are headed out for a FJC, sending it out a few days ahead won't interfere with jumping at home...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

The one BIG Plus on shipping something rather than Checking it as Luggage is the fact that Shipping can be insured and be actually compensated-$$$ for it's loss. The Airlines if they actually loose your Luggage (Rig) they will screw you then laugh when you ask compensation. You will receive little to nothing.
-
Canada has some Fkd-UP Screeners. A couple years back me and Steve (manbird) were going to Kamloops Canada to WS. Those dumbasses would not let him take his skydive rig from Vancouver B.C. to shuttle up there on a 20-minute flight. The deal was He (the screener) Did not like his Reserve PC spring. He wanted to visually see and inspect the Spring. Unfucking believable. We were explaining to him that We could show him but there would an open container and parachute. We told him that it was packed by a Fed. FAA licensed rigger and sealed. He just not have the mental capacity to comprehend that it was only a spring with fabric. He insisted to pop-it before he was permitted to go aboard. So he was forced to check it as luggage 10-minutes before the flight was scheduled to depart.
That is the first time I have ever witnessed anyone being denied to carry on a Skydive rig. I have never been denied or have never witnessed anyone turned down with a BASE rig carry-on international or domestic.

Canada has some Fkd-UP Screeners.

They wanted to pop my reserve as well. Bastards!!!

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I have never been denied or have never witnessed anyone turned down with a BASE rig carry-on international or domestic.

Me either, but it did get me and Anthony bumped up to first class on our way to Malaysia in 2001;)
Apparently the pilot was afraid we were gonna pull a DB Cooper:S

Edit to add: He wanted to keep a close eye on us
NEVER GIVE UP!

last year i was stopped by security at the metal detectors in sydney airport on my way to oslo with air austria and told that i couldnt take my rig as carry-on. after much arguement and trying to get it thru their thick skulls we reached an agreement of me disconnecting the canopy from the container and getting the canopy checked in as special luggage or some shit like that. no matter how hard i tried to explain they just said "we will refuse that you board this plane with a parachute. it is against the rules."

mind you, on the way backfrom that trip and through every airport i didnt have a problem at all with the rig as carry on. since then i havent had a problem thru malaysia and from brisbane to milan.

i put it all down to the (bad) luck of getting macho security guards that like to push their weight around and show their authority and make life difficult for anyone they can. some get lucky and some dont going thru airports...you might as well try. the terrorism shit just gives them an excuse now to be difficult and there isnt much we can do about that now. just pray u get a security guard on a good day....