iamthewalrus

skydiving canopy

I've been jumping a big accuracy canopy for the past 300 jumps for BASE and will be buying new gear exclusively for wingsuit use. Since my focus will be fixed object I was thinking of a Spectre b/c I don't want a giant canopy on my back for all my skydives and at least it is 7 cell, but I was wondering if there is an appropriately sized (150-170 or so) canopy such as a PD Reserve or similar that would be more applicable to BASE currency while skydiving frequently. Kathy said that Stane's rumored skydiving Troll model is not in production so that's out.
If anyone has any experience with this I'd appreciate your input.
Thanks
J

It seemed like the right thing to do at the time

If you want to pull low with your WS get a Spectre with mesh slider and dacron lines so you will have the durability of z-po and great openings (fast but not neck-breaking); I would not jump a PD reserve of that size as a main tarp all the time.

If very low skydive pulls are not in your agenda then get yourself a 9 cell.

Jumping a big skydiving tarp will not help your BASE canopy skills, IMO.

The best BASE canopy pilots I have seen jump tinny little x-braced and have thousands of jumps.

Just my 0.02.
Memento Audere Semper

A guess... The 7 cell ZP Aerodyne Research Triathalon with dacron lines. But be warned on any experimentation that you do. The cost of an injury will be far higher than the money you save for finding an all around canopy for skydiving and WS BASE.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Thanks 460 *clarification* I'm looking for a skydiving only canopy, I only BASE with BASE gear...my acc canopy jumps were to prep for BASE, I didn't mean that I take skydiving gear off objects. While that's cool for badass old school guys I'm pretty new and also a huge pussy, not looking for any "experimentation"

It seemed like the right thing to do at the time

I would give my one cent. (its not worth two, trust me. ill give you two thoughts for one, if you ask)

The best thing to keep up BASE currency is to BASE.

to do it while skyjumping, i would use a Spectre loaded to .8 or .9, and land as close to shit as possible, always decide what your going to do and where your going to land before you even get on the plane. turn low (flat turns slice, or not toooo low, you know what i mean). make this a model of a base jump. landing on a parking spot, because there is a good chance that in base you will have to do just that.

I disagree that the best thing for BASE is a tiny canopy and 1000 jumps. I think that thinking about BASE as much as possible, dreaming, understanding EXACTLY how canopy flies, what happens when it stalls PHYSICALY, what the air does behind it, what air does around a windy building, and what that does to a flying canopy. THINK. muscle memory runs hand in hand with education. usualy, all skydiving needs is muscle memory. because its kinda simple. (dont hit people, pull, dont hit people, flare. thats it)

Ya I want one too. I have been keeping my eye-out for a good used @ a good price. in 120-135 sq-ft. The very early models and some of the CRW models have some Dacron lines.
I liked the shorter line group of the triathlons when they cam out. It made them a little more responsive for a 7-cell. I got a nice little plane-out and landing with the 120 also.

Well I've had one for sale for ages..... Hybrid Tri 120, so it has the dacron lines and the other crw mods. I need to get rid of it pronto ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia