adventurechick

Thinking about BASE

I enjoy reading the, how do I get into BASE forums for the mocking that whoever asks that question gets. Yet when someone who from their profile seems to be a pretty girl.....

What's that suppose to mean! This forum was my starting point, and now I can't wait to venture out and learn more and hopefully network with other BASE jumpers in the area. I am going to wait until I have 200 jumpsl, but I now have new goals in mind to help prepare me.

As for the swimming pool idea from above, should I practice doing belly flops into the pool? And from what height?

Finally, today a friend told me that a high number of student, girl, BASE jumpers die.... why is the number higher in females rather than men? Is it because of strength, reflexes, or is it like the thread posted above about guys pressuring them into jumping (ex: boyfriends)??

PMS #449 TPM #80 Muff Brother #3860
SCR #14705 Dirty Sanchez #233

As with many aspects of life, tits get their owner far. ;)

edit: Met a guy in Norway with 20 skydives and ten times as many base jumps. Not the recommended path - no DZ would let him practice his wingsuiting due to lack of skydives...which makes it kinda hard to do wingsuit base!

edit edit: As for the higher proportion of female student base fatalities (if true) ...It's as likely as anything to be the fact most base jumpers are guys, and, guys being guys, will do almost anything to get girls...including being a mentor/teacher in base when a guy with similar skills might have got told to bugger off and come back with more skydives! I doubt reflexes or any physiological aspects have anythign to do with it.

---------------------------------------
Ex-University of Bristol Skydiving Club
www.skydivebristoluni.com

...I've had a student stay on the pendulator for over an hour, doing exits at approximately that rate...

Yep, and I had the bruises to show. Thanks again Tom for the numerous belays. It definitely helped.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

Does anyone know where the nearest pendulator to Florida is?

Yes I'm thinking about BASE. I'm thinking about the 8-9 people who've died since the beginning of this year for a variety of reasons. BASE can be fun when everything goes right. But it sure isn't safe and it can be as dangerous as you want to make it. Do yourself a favor and build more time under a skydiving canopy before you try your first BASE jumps. To some this is a game. But it really shouldn't be.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

FYI Guys, I sent Gail/AdventureChick a brief explanation of what a 'Pendulator' is along with my version of the 'Slow Down' speech.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

Does anyone know where the nearest pendulator to Florida is?

In your back yard? They are very easy to construct.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

As for the swimming pool idea from above, should I practice doing belly flops into the pool? And from what height?

I'm assuming here you have not done a lot of platform diving. If you have, well, you're one step ahead of me.

If you can find a pool with a 5-metre platform (not a diving board), then just practice jumping off it. You don't have to do a BASE exit.

(1) Try stepping off first, since that's easiest.

(2) Then try launching hard from the edge, and land in the water feet first. How hard can you launch?

(3) Try running off the end. Don't pace it out, just go to the back of the platform and run for it. Jump when you have no more steps left.

(4) Try sideways and rear-facing "exits".

(5) Try just hucking yourself off and sorting the rest out in the air. You have about a second.

The general idea of all this is that you have an innate monkey-sense which lets you leap off one thing and ensure you're in a particular position when you land. We don't use it often, but it's there. Jumping from the 5-metre platform will build your confidence in that sense, so that when you do your first BASE jump, you won't have to rely on "head up, chest forward".

You may also learn some other things along the way. I learned that if I do a positive launch, as opposed to stepping off, I am much more aware of my time in freefall. I also learned how to do a good running exit, without over-thinking it.

A lot of others have said this already, but take your time getting into BASE. When it goes well it's fabulous, and this is what you see most of the time. But it can also be incredibly brutal. When it goes badly, it can go very, very badly.

Michael

A lot of others have said this already, but take your time getting into BASE. When it goes well it's fabulous, and this is what you see most of the time. But it can also be incredibly brutal. When it goes badly, it can go very, very badly.

people have posted lots of good info already, but to build on what crwper wrote:

don't underestimate simple time in the sport of skydiving. popping off 300 jumps in one month is NOT the same as spending time in the sport. with enough time, you'll have seen some carnage. are you ready for the emotional impact of seeing a friend with a broken leg (or worse)?

how about yourself?

you will depend heavily on those you jump with, and they will depend on you...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

I enjoy reading the, how do I get into BASE forums for the mocking that whoever asks that question gets. Yet when someone who from their profile seems to be a pretty girl.....

What's that suppose to mean!

It's pretty clear what he meant. I've lurked this forum for a long time and he is right, 99% of posts like yours get a LOT of negative responses very quickly. Taking offense to his comment is pointless, as it was not an observation about you (other than that he thinks you might be a pretty girl); it was an observation about the posters to this forum.

or is it like the thread posted above about guys pressuring them into jumping

Nobody said anything about pressuring anybody. Permission can be more dangerous than pressure.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Exactly, and considering theres a few articles that state how to get into it and what to do, theres no reason to post this thread without hoping to find a mentor. I to had an offer to get in BASE way to early, however that offer came after I read Toms articles, after I read the fatality list, and informed my family of my intentions... and then I told my friend Shannon.

THANK GOD she told me flat out "your not fucking ready, you BASE now and you will be another statistic" I think she also called me a fucking idiot, dork, butthead, and other things while around the bonfire that night. I scared her because she knew BASE and I had 60 some odd skydives. She yelled at me out of love but also out of respect for the sport.

Ill never be able to thank her enough, because she went in on a BASE before I realized just what she did for me by NOT kissing my ass cause I have boobs.

Hopefully someone cares enough to tell Gail that as well. I doubt Ill ever BASE because I know Ill never be as in tune with nature or myself to be half as capable as my friend was in this sport. If I do and I hope Gail does the same, I will not cut corners because of my gender... and I will not accept a mentor who allowed me to skip the details that have been proven to give the BASE jumper a little edge over the chance of injury and death.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Tom's pendulator helped me quite a bit. Yeah definately helped me feel good about staying head high.

Scary? Not really. Rigging the damn thing in that tree was kinda a pain in the ass. And that climbing harness has alot potential for crushing a nut after the rope comes taught. Now that's true fear! ;)

QUESTION

How many jumps do you suggest one to have before they start BASE

adventurechick

ANSWERS

First, make at least 200 skydives.

getting into base article

I started BASE with 500 skydives with over 150 focused on getting into BASE, and I still was not prepared for the mayhem I got into.... Please dont rush into it...

mac

Several hundred more.

Tom Aiello

I would also be concerned that that person was in a hurry, wanted quick solutions, and was likely to get out of the sport just as fast as they got in. I may also think that that person would be more likely to advance too quickly.

Tom Begic

I am going to wait until I have 200 jumps

adventurechick

So despite the advice, you've opted to wait until you have the absolute MINIMUM skydiving experience possible, which is currently only just over 100 skydives away, which could effectively be a mere few months before you start on your next big adventure.

Which is all well and cool and dandy, but why ask in the first place if you're not prepared to act on the advice?

Here's some further advice : start listening to what people are telling you and absorb it rather than just hear it.

ian

Finally, today a friend told me that a high number of student, girl, BASE jumpers die.... why is the number higher in females rather than men? Is it because of strength, reflexes, or is it like the thread posted above about guys pressuring them into jumping (ex: boyfriends)??

your kidding right? if a guy can pressure you into doing something you aren't committed to you have no business skydiving let alone BASE jumping.

Mac was kind enough to provide you with a link to the BASE fatality list. you seem to respond to everything yet i don't see in any of your posts that you've gone there. let me help you out a little:

#11 Marilyn Ettema
#26 Marieta Schneider
#39 Susan Oatly
#33 Theresa Tran
#38 Stina Ulla Ostberg
#45 Erin Aimee Engle
#54 Jan Davis
#64 Lori Barr
#77 Babi Dematte
#99 Shannon Dean

each one of these women made a conscience descision to BASE jump. they did so accepting the responsibility of their choices. don't disrespect them by implying that some man might have pressured them into it.

YOU choose to BASE, YOU choose the course of your training, YOU determine the level of risk you are willing to accept. YOU decide whether to jump or not.

I just moved to texas. PM sent since I am only supposed to lurk this forum
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

your kidding right? if a guy can pressure you into doing something you aren't committed to you have no business skydiving let alone BASE jumping.

Ok, I worded that wrong. I was referring to this paragraph.
Some men try to use the mystique of BASE jumping to attract women. There are few seduction tactics as tried and true as “being the teacher” (just ask a Tandem Master). Many women are attracted to the knowledge, confidence, and (supposed) power of a guy who can “teach” them to BASE jump. This is not a secret to the boys. Worse, men are tempted to overstate their qualifications as a teacher when they are interested in a woman. What guy will admit to an attractive BASE-curious skydiver that he isn’t qualified to teach? He will try to impress her with his “expert” credentials, saying “of course I can take you BASE jumping—just stick with me and you’ll go a long way, baby.” If his goal is to get laid, he isn’t an appropriate teacher. Hang out with him, date him, have fun with him, skydive with him, sleep with him—but learn BASE from someone else.

I do not mean to discredit any of the other females. I do apologize.

I was trying to find on the internet, but I'm having some trouble with my search of places high enough, that you can use your real rig. Is there such a thing as a 2,000-3,000 ft. object one could jump off of? I am just trying to gather information.

Don't worry, I am not going to go out and buy a BASE rig and rush into it. I have gotten many PM's and more responses on here saying 200 jumps is not enough and to wait. That is what I am going to do.... I do like the idea about going with BASE jumpers to watch them jump and video them/drive them.

Thank you for all your input.

If you are wanting to use a skydiving rig off an object you are missing some very large pieces of information as to why BASE jumps are complely unlike any skydive you have ever been on.

2000+ foot cliffs are around, but a Cliff is not a good first object to jump for many reasons. First of is a 180 on opening has you flying into a solid wall at 20 mph, that has killed a lot of jumpers already. The Twin Fall's Bridge is ideal, Bridge Day is good too in terms of objects for a first jump.

If you want an example on your next skydive go land your canopy in the middle of a parking space in the parking lot. If you land out of the marked space assume that you just broke your legs and are facing hours with out medical attention now. BASE is a whole new ball game and there are only a small amount of people in the US that are lucky enough to have terminal objects near them. Everyone else gets their sub-1000 (most are sub 500 in the midwest) foot objects to play on. Even the NRGB is only 876 feet tall and its considered to be tall for a bridge.

I did Bridge Day last year and decided BASE was not for me, its an intense rush... but I forsaw death and injury in my near future if I continued at this stage of my life.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I was trying to find on the internet, but I'm having some trouble with my search of places high enough, that you can use your real rig.

That's pretty offensive, honestly. Most of the folks on this forum are looking for an aircraft that will allow them to use their "real" rigs.

BASE rigs are just as "real" as skydiving rigs. Each is designed for a different purpose. Taking a skydiving rig off an object--any object--is pretty much just plain dumb.

Is there such a thing as a 2,000-3,000 ft. object one could jump off of? I am just trying to gather information.

Sure there are. With your current attitude, I'm personally not going to tell you where they are.

Here's the problem.

If you want to jump off a 3000 ft cliff with a skydiving rig, you'll only have a thousand feet or so to track away before you open your--less reliable, more malfunction prone, and more likely to be off-heading--skydiving canopy. If you take longer, you won't have time to use that precious reserve you've lugged up to the top of the cliff.

A much safer way to jump that cliff would be to use a "real" rig designed for it--in other words, a BASE rig. Then you could take the full available delay, opening well away from the wall with gear designed and manufactured to open on heading, with fewer problems, and with a more appropriate flight profile for the environment you are in.

Please read the guidelines linked at the top of the forum under the heading "Before You Post!" Right here, right now, you are the person who is the underlying reason for those guidelines.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I was just wondering who would take the bait this time...
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

This is even more boring than the average dz.com post.

The thing that is annoying about you, and "lurkers" that have 87 skydives, isn't the fact that you want to jump. Its the demonstration of laziness that even when you live on the internet, and spend all workday on dz.com, -the fact that you post "I want to BASE jump!", but haven't even done the little bit of looking to see that there is not only the World's Best Internet BASE jumper's article at the top, but many, many other "I want to jump, now what?" posts that would require a simple search.

And the total lack of respect for your own healthy body that you are willing to put it in harm's way, with minimal experience, when history and experienced jumpers tell you just the opposite, and you will get HURT OR KILLED. (And mess up someone's object too)

Ummm, 2000-3000' objects that you can use your "real rig"? Sure, come on over, but we'll have to take your slider off your "real rig" for that jump.

How lazy can you be? Or bored and lazy...
Gravity Research Institute

Gail is an actual jumper and not a troll, I know people that have jumped with her and knew her through her student progression.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

ok ok
I just thought it was getting a bit too blatent but obviously not.
Sorry
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen