outrager

Carry-on via London?

Yo !

Is there any chance to carry a BASE rig on flying via London? I understand they eased up a bit, but new rules are still tight B|

bsbd!

Yuri.

I highly doubt it....today's BAA announcement in the Metro said that very small hand luggage (with a lod of restrictions on what can be carried) is allowed onboard.

Check out www.baa.com for more details.

From the BA website (regulations last updated 21/8/06)

Customers departing from the UK (including customers transferring through the UK):
Customers travelling from the UK will be able to take on board as hand baggage one cabin bag no bigger than 45cm x 35cm x 16cm, the size of a small laptop bag, inclusive of wheels and handles

Cabin baggage MUST NOT contain:
Any cosmetics
Any toiletries
Any liquids
Any drinks
Cigarette lighters (Cigarette lighters may not be checked into the hold. They can be purchased airside and disposed of before boarding a flight)

Items previously prohibted in cabin baggage, such as sharp objects, should not be carried onboard.

Cabin baggage CAN contain the following:
Electronic equipment, including laptops, mobile phones, digital cameras and portable music and DVD players
Essential medicines in liquid form provided they are under 50ml. Customers will be asked to taste the liquid. If they cannot taste the liquid for any reason they will be asked to go to an airport pharmacy to have the medicine verified.
Baby milk and liquid baby food (the contents of each bottle MUST be tasted by the parent)

Other items normally carried in cabin baggage, such as books and essential items for the flight, as long as they fit into a bag no bigger than 45cm x 35cm x 16cm.

Nothing must be carried in pockets.

To help progress through the airport all customers are encouraged not to include items capable of containing liquids (e.g. bottles, flasks, cans etc.) in either their hand or checked baggage.

All electronic equipment will need to be removed from the item of hand baggage and screened separately. We recommend these items be packed carefully for easy removal at the security search point.

Customers may purchase any item in any store in the departure lounge before departing their final UK airport, unless they are travelling to the USA.

Extra restrictions are in place for customers travelling to the USA from the UK. Customers WILL NOT be permitted to take any liquid or gel items purchased in the departure lounge into the aircraft cabin. All food or beverage items must be consumed before boarding.

Customers transferring through the UK
Customers transferring through the UK will be subject to the same hand baggage size restrictions as those starting their journey in the UK.

If you arrive into the UK to connect with a British Airways flight (irrespective of original carrier), with more than one laptop size bag (45cm x 35cm x 16cm), you may be refused travel on your onward flight.

Customers transferring through a UK airport onto another flight must not buy any of the prohibited items such as cosmetics or toiletries until they have cleared through security for their final departure from a UK airport.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

From the Ryanair website: [NSFW?]

;)

I was stupid enough to buy a ticket on Hotwire, and it routed me via London B|

I guess the rig goes checked...

Hey, do they allow silicone tits? You could easily blow 747 with a set of those :P

bsbd!

Yuri.

Ryanair have been making me laugh so much with their reaction to the whole situation :D

Had my CRW rig (including canopy) lost in transit just prior to 2003 World Championships. This was checked in.

Carried my canopy through the following year on board - but without the container.

Had my BASE gear put through "Dangerous Baggage" in 1998 with DW on the way to Europe. It arrived safely. Same thing happened on the way back but it arrived late.

Hence, you might get away with carrying just a canopy on board. I have had success doing that a few times. No guarantees though.

Good Luck.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

I've carried my rig on board several times, departing from Geneva to Stavanger and Stavanger to London (July 2005)... as well as through a couple more countries in Europe. Never really seemed to have a problem. Mind you, it was a small 225 canopy inside, hence was not overly big!!
I'm about to try again to get to Norway from Oz.... Otherwise I'll have to re-organise the luggage in a hurry :)

plummy

Cabin baggage MUST NOT contain:
Any cosmetics
Any toiletries
Any liquids
Any drinks
Cigarette lighters (Cigarette lighters may not be checked into the hold. They can be purchased airside and disposed of before boarding a flight)

Items previously prohibted in cabin baggage, such as sharp objects, should not be carried onboard.

Cabin baggage CAN contain the following:
Electronic equipment, including laptops, mobile phones, digital cameras and portable music and DVD players
Essential medicines in liquid form provided they are under 50ml. Customers will be asked to taste the liquid. If they cannot taste the liquid for any reason they will be asked to go to an airport pharmacy to have the medicine verified.
Baby milk and liquid baby food (the contents of each bottle MUST be tasted by the parent)

Other items normally carried in cabin baggage, such as books and essential items for the flight, as long as they fit into a bag no bigger than 45cm x 35cm x 16cm.

Nothing must be carried in pockets.

What about objects not listed in neither list ( such as a small rig, no bigger than, or any item NOT normally carried in cabin baggage... )? Do they disappear from existence? :S

Fabien
BASE#944

I have worn a rig on my back through airports in Italy, Spain, Japan, and numerous American cities with zero problems. Sometimes you get into a funny conversation, other times they want to swab it for explosive residue but most times the TSA people just yawn.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

i always carry on my rig as i fly to UK (by ryanair) no problem..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

All food or beverage items must be consumed before boarding.

That will be lots of fun if you find out just after buying two bottles of Jack D in the duty-free.. :S

"He tried to kill me! He tried to f***ing kill me!"

A friend of mine took his skydiving rig to a Cozumel or some other resort town in Mexico. At one point, they had to change planes. The plane was small and he was forced to check his rig at the plane. When he got off, they handed it to him along with the reserve handle that had separated from the rig via the baggage handlers.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

When he got off, they handed it to him along with the reserve handle that had separated from the rig via the baggage handlers.

well that shouldnt be a issue whith BASE gear right:P
and perhaps using a stashbag or kitbag would increase the chance of acsidents to happen..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Hey 460,

Man that sounds like your buddy got screwed by an idiot whuffo. I have jumped in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico but got their via a cruise so the locals never got a chance to touch my gear. However, I would not trust them with my dog more or less my rig.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

Hey, do they allow silicone tits?

This is a side of you I never knew about!

I hear Da Kine make some frilly flowery jump suits?

Have fun!!!

:P;)
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.