FatSnake

Something new with this new wall

Guidelines considered...this is a story about the first ws-jump from Bispen in Romsdalen and why it is a special place. "Subterminal" asked for some stories...

Bispen was jumped slider-up in 1999. After a trip there in 2002 I knew it could be a possibility for ws higher up the wall. In july I went up alone. Everybody else was participating on a baseevent further down the valley. It took me 1 our to hike after parking my car on top of Trollstigen.

I could see that the wall was split in two by a huge cliff. I was worried this could become too marginal. The first small rock hit that cliff. 5 sec. I dropped another one with the same angle as a good exit would give me. 10 sec. Yes. Marginal, but an easy call. Between me and the landing was the spectacular Trollstigen road. Norways second biggest tourist attraction. The jump would show if I was able to actually fly over it.

I geared up, while talking to my self about how to do this in a good way. I was extra nervous. The weather was perfect, no point to hesitate. 3-2-1...I cleared that cliff with pretty good margin. Now it was time to fly. The first 10 sec it seemed impossible to reach that road. After 15 I could see I would make it. I attacked the angle, increased speed, passed it right above a camper, turned towards landing area and pulled after 40 sec.

Bispen has been jumped a lot the last two months. It is one of the most marginal places we have, but it is also unique, with the possibility to pass the civilization with only meters... A dream flight for experienced...but a nightmare if you do not start to fly.

The pictures tells it all. PS: Pictures are taken by no jumpers. Credits to them!

PPS: After considering guidelines I feel that it is no problem to tell this story. But I would like to say that this jump is the one you do after a long summer, when you have done all other things that can be done here in Norway.

Thank you to everyone that came to Norway and joined me for trips this summer! See ya next year...

Fly low, pull high....VKB#7

http://www.fatsnake.com

Hi Espen thanks for all this summer even if you didn't find my camera :P This Bispen sounds like really cool jump, hope i can join you some day up there.
Thanks for sharing

Benjamín

Hi Espen and the others.

I jumped Bispen right after you Espen and I can only comfirm your toughts about this exit. The ledges are scary but you clear them, The big ledge underneeth is not to be forgotten. This ledge, or should I say rock slope, is coming up quite fast and if you dont start flying it will eat you up.

But when you start flying it is a wonderful an unique place for agressive and accurasy flying. ANd with a chans to swoop people, cars and other things meters from you.

THis summer was very crowded in the valleys. and The mountains was jumped a lot. Bispen was jumped hard during a month and will be jumped a lot.

One important hing about this cliff. THis is the front cover of tourism in Norway. This is what people see. If something really bad happends here , the alarm will go off. ANd things will start to happend. Jumps smart and have fun. Its a wonderful place!

see you next summer at home in the mountains!

/martin
/Martin - Team Bautasten of Sweden

I'll drink to that Martin

Those are some really impressive pictures. Much respect.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Any chance at desktop size pictures?B|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I'm sorry. I do not have any rights regarding the two pictures. But don't be surprised if you see more pictures from Bispen next year and the year after that. With all those tourists taking shots of jumpers there, somebody will get a unique picture soon.

That second picture is remarkable! It would be cool to be on the ground filming from that vantage point...

"Holy Crap" is about all that comes to mind with picture # 2.....:o

I guess Mc donalds is closed for the summer..

Great shot's as always....:P

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Definetely impressive! Good job VKB guys. I envy your walls and balls. All we have here are terminal antennas though and a few nice buildings.

The first time I became aware of "wall surfing," I believe it was in maybe 1999. I remember when Patrick de Gayardon used to swoop the Grand Canyon about 50 feet to 150 feet over the canyon's ledge after exiting from a plane.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Working in norway right now and saw a couples of pictures in the newspaper this summer...Looks really crazy when they flying so close to the ground!

Deadmanwalking and myself tracked down the hillside. both took 26 seconds with room to go more wearing the phoenix tracking pants. Its about a 8 to ten second rock drop, to a super steep rock faced hillside. Looking over the edge you want to pull before you even jump. Gridset has a nice steep hillside but its all trees. Bispen is all rock, its hard to see how high you are. My 26 seconds seemed like 8 seconds. the whole jump is super intenese. Track or die. I thought about pulling a couple of times, but commited and flew the whole way. Wingsuits fly right and go over the road like the pictures above. This cliff is only for the advanced!

Any pics or video of the non-WS jump, Trebec? PM me if you don't want to post
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Bispen is a wall for WS flyers with balls and skills in short drops. Its not a very short drop but it is scary. Im flying a V1 and I fell my self pretty close to the rock underneeth. I have seen one Jumper track it with PF pants and his video is fucked. He did an excelent job tracking that hill, a masterpeace of skills and still it was fucking close. in my opinion.

You dont have to fly close to the road, thats just for the prox-flying-addicts like my self and VKB.

About pictures. I have one of me flying v1 there. Photo is taken by Stein Olsen. Please dont use this comersially or in press without asking me or stein.

http://www.martin.nu/bispen_small.jpg

Im looking forward to head up there and fly this wicked slick rock again. but with a smaller suit. mine is to big.

/m
/Martin - Team Bautasten of Sweden

I have seen one Jumper track it with PF pants and his video is...

After reading this i'm capturing some video into my Adobe-tool and bringing up som moving images from the Bishop. From a sunny aproach, the wall from the side, the track and WS from the other angle. Put it online, and bring you a link during the day i hope B|

/Johnnyb

Brilliant...! Thanks for the fun jumping this summer, Johnny... and next time don't try to fill my gear bag with rocks on the hike up!

Richard

Brilliant...! Thanks for the fun jumping this summer, Johnny... and next time don't try to fill my gear bag with rocks on the hike up!

Fun days Richard, and don't worry... I'll provide the rocks as long as you set them free...

/Johnnyb