KrisFlyZ

Wingsuit Exit Question

Does the wingsuit(make model) you are flying affect how quickly 'flying' starts(assuming the exit was a good one)? In other words, based on experience....do you think the wing characteristics play a part in how quickly 'flight' starts?

Do not confuse this with how quickly movement away from the object starts....just how quickly you feel like the suit gets to full flight(let's not split hairs on this :)
Kris.

Does the wingsuit(make model) you are flying affect how quickly 'flying' starts(assuming the exit was a good one)? In other words, based on experience....do you think the wing characteristics play a part in how quickly 'flight' starts?

Technically, there is always some difference... now, how big is it?

I feel there is a small difference, but it is very hard to quantify. My rough ballpark impression of the difference between Skyflyer 1 (that was slower to start flying) and Classic was about 1 second. I used Classic on really gnarly exits back in those days :)
I didn't notice any measurable difference between Classic/S3/V1. Prodigy starts marginally slower than Vampire for me, but the difference is almost neglectable. I do not have any cliff experience on mono-suits.

I would say that wingloading and elevation affect start characteristics much more than a suit model.

bsbd!

Yuri.

Thanks Yuri.

I have jumped the V1 and the Phantom but can't say I have the ability to register what is happening during the exit...unless I am going headlow(only did that on the prodigy and that seems counterintuitive):$.

Kris.

In theory, with all else equal, the wingloading ought to be the main determinant of when the suit starts flying. Once your fall rate overcomes the stall speed (which is determined by wingloading, amongst many other variables) you start flying.

My experience has been that "big wing" suits start flying much sooner for me (keep in mind that I'm a big fat-ass, so the effect is probably more exaggerated than for those with normal physiques). I thought the monowing suits I've tried (that's the S-fly/Crossbow/MTR style) started flying noticeably sooner, and I know they had much greater wing area, and hence lower wingloading. Note that the tri-wing suits (Birdman/Phoenix Fly style) seem to give me much greater maximum speed.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I would say that wingloading and elevation affect start characteristics much more than a suit model.

Taking this into consideration how would you exit with your leg wing if you had to ensure early separation ? ( like how much are you bending your knees and how much of your leg wing is exposed ? )

***I thought the monowing suits I've tried (that's the S-fly/Crossbow/MTR style) started flying noticeably sooner, and I know they had much greater wing area, and hence lower wingloading.

Floating or actually flying?

Don't the mono-wings fill up with more air and so give a floaty feeling which would arrest fallrate earlier (but not produce any real additional forward speed), rather than the tri-wings which rely on aerodynamic lift alone?
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

***I thought the monowing suits I've tried (that's the S-fly/Crossbow/MTR style) started flying noticeably sooner, and I know they had much greater wing area, and hence lower wingloading.

Floating or actually flying?

Flying, in my opinion. There was noticeable forward movement.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com