rcc

Fury canopy for base

I just got this new Fury 220 it has 3 jumps on it and it still has the original brake settings.I want to make them deeper i was thinking about 2 to 3 more inches deep.If ther is anyone out there that jumps or has jumped a fury for base jumping please let me know what i should [email protected]
770-900-2521
Ryan

I am just trying to find the distance between the shallow and deep settings.

jump the canopy and find the stall point. mark it with a highlighter . the deep setting should be one inch lower. jump it again slider down off something where there is time react if you got it wrong.

Stall or flare point?

Is it always 1 inch lower, or does this vary much by canopy size?
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

i do not know what the flare point is. 1 inch is an approximation. the deep setting should be where the canopy is stable (not stalling out) with minimal forward speed.

I was also told to make it at least 3 to 4 inches but i might gi inbetween like 2 and a half.I don`t want it to stall but just to the point were it is almost to the stall pont

why do you want to jump skydiving canopy basejumps. why not jump with base specified gear...whats your problem? wanna die? sorry about attack, but still...really, think...

I was also told to make it at least 3 to 4 inches but i might gi inbetween like 2 and a half.I don`t want it to stall but just to the point were it is almost to the stall pont

By whom?
It's a trial and error thing to get it right.

Be careful not to try to get it too close. If you have your DB setting too close to the stall point, any input with an off-heading will induce a stall. It's a thin line
Do as Victor said, jump it to find out where the stall point is, go from there
NEVER GIVE UP!

dude fury's are mad sick for roll overs becase of there short lines and there swooping machines contact nick nitro he has a gay ass pink one but it flys mad cool he can give u all the data u need. but evreone is diffrent depending on your wieght your stall piont and brake settings might be diffrent then his remember this is not sky jumping if u have a 180 its not cool by the way
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

NO SHIT, I second that one. The Fury is not going to fuck-up. It will open On Heading, Fly and land just fine.
What's going to fuck up is yourself for not understanding simple canopy mechanics like Break Settings. If you want to set a break setting. Like Lonnie say's You need to take every canopy on individual basis. Size - Make to body weight.
Ryan, OHHHhhh My GOD. It's NOT even a Vented BASE Canopy. ! ...:S
Ryan, 1st don't ask for any advice for BASE jumping on a web-site. Half these people don't know there ass from a hole in the ground. NOW, Play & Work with the Fury. Play it right Play it Smart, Your NOT going to Die. Use the Fury as a Learning TOOL. Doing this WILL HELP you in your FUTURE. Help In your understanding of 7-cell Canopy Mechanics and in learning HOW to do a proper job on Deep Break Settings on future BASE Rigs.
Do the BASE mods. on the Canopy.
Shove that thing into a Bigger student skydive Rig.
Take it on some Skydives.
Open it up and leave the Breaks Stowed. Open your eyes and look at it. Study it. Then While "Actually" looking and studying reach-up while the Breaks are Stowed and pull on the Break Lines.
LOOK and FEEL what is happening. Take it to a full-stall then back it off. Do it again and again. Then mark it and go set a couple Eyelets.
Then go up and do it again. Open it up in the Deep Break Setting. Actualy Tilt your head upwards and LOOK and Feel what's going on. Do some Rear-Riser stalls and Turns.
Un-Stow the breaks. LOOK & Feel how much Surge is going on.
It's really not that hard to do & there is No Reason not to put some effort into actually Understanding BASIC CANOPY mechanics. Ryan, It's Fiction. THERE IS NO SET RULE on how much to make a Deep Break Setting by WORD OF MOUTH. You say you got 1500 skydives so you should have no problems getting the job done.
You Got The Fury so make it good practice on setting Deep Breaks. Ryan don't listen to anyone's advice on how they tell you to set your Deep Breaks. You need to take matters into your own hands and LEARN to do it right. Setting in eyelets and changing eyelets is not that big a deal but Learning to Tune your Own Personal setting are.
Also DON'T listen to SHIT about the Need to Set more that two different Break settings. When reading forum-search on that Crap in the past on this site. 1- Regular slider-up & 1- Deep Break setting is MORE than adequate. More than two break settings is just a fucking excuse for not understanding what is needed and a lack of proper mechanics. Play with the Fury and Learn and advance your knowledge. Just do it smart. Dont ask for advice on a web-site and find & stick with someone with some solid BASE experience. If your using the Fury just use common sense. Learn to set-up the fury. Just take it on some simple Antenna or Bridge jumps before thinking about taking it on some actual technical or shear-face cliff jumps.

OK, I go out to the grocery store to stock up. What do I find when I get home. More hate mail. to a Posting on a public BASE site
So if there is some sort of misunderstanding of BASE SAFETY let me clear it up. I am not stating the Fury or any other Canopy in the world skydive or BASE will open up on Heading every time. I think anyone does know this but apparently this person feels that I am perusing in misleading, misinforming RCC & the learning BASE community. This is the ignorant shallow attitude that is going to lead RCC astray of BASE safety.

Quote:
edit to remove PM correspondence ~TA
-

The Post I wrote was not to suggest that the Fury is the best mechanical choice for a BASE canopy for Ryan but rather a supreme opportunity for advancement of BASE canopy knowledge. I think he can handle it.
I look at Ryan's profile and it shows to me someone with 3-years & 1500 canopy jumps. A Tandem instructor, USPA coach and like to Swoop. That tells me he is able to start to take up BASE if he so choose to. Also the fact that he is proficient as Tandems go. He has and is able to accept the safety and responsibility of others as well as himself. I got way more respect for someone Posting Q's with and honest and solid background as shown by him. Rather than someone who just got off AFF and is a 200 jump wonder that picks up a Fury and wants advice. Ryan in fact even Posts his e-mail and phone-# to show a honest willingness to get a solid grip on his personal safety and need for factual and currently practiced canopy set-up.
I am also sure that if Ryan felt that I was blowing Smoke up his Ass on the setting of Canopy deep-brake tips. He would have posted to let me know he felt this way.
There is also a newfound fear among newer BASE jumpers that there is something structurally wrong with BASE jumping the older breeds of 7-cell canopy that actually lead to the basic designs of pressurizations and flight of 'ALL' newer BASE canopies on the market today. This lack of knowledge has also lead to Fear and thinking that even the practice of Not jumping anything but a Vented BASE canopy is a path to recklessness and ill choice personal safety.
The fact is. This route of acquiring the basics of BASE canopy mechanics that is priceless is and will soon be lost forever. Even seeing the practice of anyone jumping a 7-cell canopy on a DZ these days is a rarity outside of Tandems or disciplines of Accuracy.
The purchase & the practice of learning and understanding the modifications & then actually BASE jumping a 7-cell predecessor to the most modern BASE canopy is a something that is "irreplaceable" and is something that is
recognizable in BASE just looking at the skill of BASE jumpers that have been down this route. They have a Depth of knowledge that is not seen today. That is Not Taught today.
I say, "Open Your Eyes People" It is no mystery that something is missing lately in the overall canopy mechanics that is used as leverage to slip into BASE. The 200 skydives. The purchase of top-end BASE gear is No Pass to safety Nor is it a Safe Passage to make a statement that person is ready and able to take up BASE.
The purchase of a Fury or any other comparable 7-cell by Ryan. Learning how to BASE Modify. it out. The process of learning how to assess and dial in a proper deep-Brake setting. Is invaluable knowledge and something that is soon to be a lost in the core makeup of acquiring solid BASE mechanics.
This superficial BASE FJC entrance to BASE that is getting promoted today as mainstream is Flawed. It is not hard to miss. This new 'Taboo' and crucifixion of anyone using the Fury, Cruzlite, Raven, Pegasus etc. as a learning tool to acquire depth of BASE jump mechanical knowledge with is also flawed.
Your 2-digit BASE number #75 you so proudly throw out there as credential in signature of letter must reflect years of hard work and knowledge. It is a shame you lack the energy, articulation or current BASE knowledge to publicly share with Ryan or anyone else why You and Everyone are Laughing so hard at me ? Does my Post make any sense to you yet ? Or is the 2-digit BASE # a reflection of your IQ ?

edit to remove threats of physical violence ~TA

Ray,

Posting Private Messages in the forum is poor etiquette. They're Private Messages for a reason. Please respond via Private Message as well.

Thanks!
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I don't understand why someone who wants to belittle and show me no respect of what little BASE knowledge I have learned over the years. By sending me hate mail that is protected and safe from public view by the "Trojan" Horse" of a so called, "PM"
Tom, Explain to me.
Is the PM that is sent to me. Not mine ?
Did you just make this Rule up ? or
Is there a Formal Web-Site rule that you can quote ?
This seems rather cowardly. Anything that can be said in a PM to Me. Can be said in public with any BASE jumper I share an exit with.
Mail is Mine. I will Copy, File, Share, Read it, E-mail it any time I want.

Usaly no,exeptions are norway and sweeden i think..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Ryan,

What's up? Too bad we did not get to flick in Rantoul...

I pretty much second what Ray said.

There are people posting here that would not even jump the potato w/out a vented BASE Tarp :S

I also see a lot of people with the latest and shiniest BASE tarps who do not have the first fuck how to fly a tarp and that includes some self-coined BASE instructors.

Anyhow, you got the canopy skills, no doubt. Given your weight and experience a Fury 220 with the right mods will be a great BASE tarp for you. Furies are among the best flying 7-cell out there. It's just one of those tarps that was borne with the right set of genes.

As for the DBS...1" below the stall is IMO way too deep especially on a Fury but then again only trial and error can give you the answer.

Here is what I always do when I modify skydiving tarps for BASE. I find the stall point of the tarp and mark it with a sharpie. To give you a frame of reference, the SBS on a Fury is pretty shallow, on a Super Raven III is quite deep. My Fury 220 at my weight stalls 12" above the SBS, my SR III 7" above it, my Ace 240 11". What I do next is mark the mid-point between the SBS and the stall point and go 1" above that so in my case I set the DBS on the Fury 7" above the SBS and 4" for the SR III. The SR III is much less sensitive flying close to the stall point than the Fury.

This again has worked for me but read below what you should do.

Find the stall point and put a series of DBSs 1" apart up to 1" below the stall point. Find a friendly object that you can jump slider down and have fun fining the right one.
Now you got the DBS. Do the same for the SBS: put a couple of SBS 1" and 2" above the stock, make a skydive H&P and see which one gives you the less forward speed w/out surging or rocking like a banshee. Furies have very shallow SBS so I know there is some room for improvement there as well. S Ravens are very deep to begin with.

I use my Fury exclusively for unpacked jumps so I did not bother to tune the SBS.

Remember that a perfectly calibrated DBS is a life saving device.

I laugh my ass off seeing kids jumping the super-duper-valved-multi-on-heading-BASE-machines with the DBS all fucked up and coming in for landing in a field the size of Michigan in breaks and pound in.

No matter what you jump, fly a tarp like you stole it. Hook the shit out it, speed is always your friend if you know how to use it and I know you do.

Oh, don't forget to put big fat always open hook loops on those front risers!

PM if you need more help.
Memento Audere Semper

Hi Ray,

These got to be two of the finest posts I ever read in this forum!!! (Even if I am not an oldtimer permit me this exclamation of joy :)).

Thumbs up!

--
Eduard

Mighty nice posts there guys.
I only have one issue.

Oh, don't forget to put big fat always open hook loops on those front risers!

Large PCs and front risers don´t go together very well from my experience. I pounded in the "freshly plowed field" with a canopy collapse. The canopy was a Raven III (WL 0.75), the PC was a 50". When I pulled on the left front riser the end cells met in the front. and the risers lost pressure. The canopy started dropping and I started pumping and almost got the canopy reinflated. The landing knocked the breath out of me but I was able to do a few more jumps that day inspite of it.
take care,
space

I took the Fury up on a skydive pulled high and found the stall poind,and found were the canopy has the slowest forward speed.I made a cats eye 4"in above the SBC.I am gooing jumping tonight of of a tower it is very friendly it is 1800 feet with a big landing area.I am gooing to make another skydive with it today before i jump it tonight.I could go a little deeper but just like one of the guys said i don`t want it too deep because i don`t want it to stall when i do little inputs on my rears.I sold my old canopy it was a FOX 245 i would love to have a base canopy but money is a problem right now so i found a Fury with 2 skydives on it and i bought it for $200.
I did all the mods tail pocket,tailgate,and i put a deeper brake setting.Thanks for all the help guys.
SEE YOU AT THE NEXT EXIT POINT

Anything that can be said in a PM to Me. Can be said in public with any BASE jumper I share an exit with.
Mail is Mine. I will Copy, File, Share, Read it, E-mail it any time I want.

indeed. respect.

Even seeing the practice of anyone jumping a 7-cell canopy on a DZ these days is a rarity outside of Tandems or disciplines of Accuracy.

Huh??
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I don't understand why someone who wants to belittle and show me no respect of what little BASE knowledge I have learned over the years. By sending me hate mail that is protected and safe from public view by the "Trojan" Horse" of a so called, "PM"

If you don't want to receive Private Messages you can block them from any or all users.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

have you done the necessary mods to the bridle line attachment point and center cel top skinl?we had one split here in the UK a few years ago...please get these mods done before you do anything with a big PC...it will involve load tape across the entire top skin encompassing the bridle line attachment point...any good rigger will know what you need.
http://www.extreme-on-demand.com

I've base jumped a fury for years. Just gave it the line mod and toggles. Tail pocket. Most of the jumps have been very low, static line, and I do think perhaps the openings would be different past 3 seconds. I have freefallen it plenty though. Never any off headings, but then I don't no flips and flops. You also have to climb inside every ten jumps or so and look, because the line attachments and bridle will start to fail. But you can always stay on top of it, stitch in time and all that. But I'd jump my fury tomorrow no problem. It's my second gear tho. Given the chance I'll always take my Fox 225 five zp regardless of the site. Cheers. Jake.

Just wanted to note here that when Trevor Yates went in he was jumping his Fury. One witness who I spoke to told me how he watched from the top as he saw a 3-cell-snivel after deployment for "some time" until impact. While there were many errors with Trev's choice of equipment on this jump (d'bag, 4' bridle, pull-out, Racer) given that a timely deployment did occur, the factors concerning the fatal snivel were likely to be the combination of Fury and sail-slider. I'm pretty sure the brake-settings would have been the standard factory settings as it was not standard practice at the time to change them. Not slagging the Fury for all applications but I thought this combination should be noted.
g.
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"