leroydb

"It's like skydiving,"

BEING strapped to the bottom of an express elevator" is how Spec. Martin L***** describes the sport of rappeling.
L***** , who's assigned to Company B of the 201st Forward Support Battalion at Fort Riley, Kan., has been teaching rappeling for more than six years. He estimates that he's taught some 60 beginners at Fort Riley over the past two-and-a-half years.

And despite the fact that he's rappeled countless times, "hanging off the side of a 110-foot cliff and sliding to the bottom in two or three seconds is still a rush every time," he said.

L*****, who rappels most weekends, attended a basic rappeling course six years ago that was offered by a local fire department.

He's certified in basic rappeling and basic line rescue.

"You don't have to have a license to rappel, but you should know the basics of rappeling before doing it," L***** said.

Maybe he might want to try skydiving first?

"Strength doesn't matter. Getting used to your equipment does," he continued. "The only thing holding you is a harness, D-ring, figure-eight clips and a rope."

L***** , who said he's pretty much mastered the art of rappeling, wants to try "base jumping," parachuting from mountains and man-made structures, in the future.

"It's like skydiving," he said, recalling a documentary he recently saw on TV about a base jumper and skydiver who climbed a mountain in Pakistan and then jumped from the highest point.

"It took them three weeks to climb the mountain and 37 seconds to jump," he said.
-- Jeanette Krueger, 1st Infantry Division and Fort Riley PAO (Public Affairs Officer)
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

People are confusing risk with stupidity. Risk takes training, knowledge, education, experience and calculation.

I would change "risk" to "risk management" in the second sentence.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

"The only thing holding you is a harness, D-ring, figure-eight clips and a rope."

Apparently, he hasn't had the pleasure of "Air Assualt School" yet.B|:P
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

yea I was thinking about the same thing also
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Thank Leroy i will never get those two min. back.
this post is worthless. remember think before you post
Ryan
Skydiving is borring!!

you are right man. I will be cool like you one day. I retract the entire post for you and whoever else might have wasted 2 min, I mean you could have been beating off or something.
Leroy

HN1 doesn't beat off anymore, he has his girlfriend do him in the butt with a fist shaped dildo instead.[:/] He claims it's quite fun, guess you won't know untill you try it.