outrager

Rat in the house!

Yes Seriously. Didn't you read the thread? The guy was packing his parachute. He had intentions of performing an act that's against the FARs but it didn't happen. I don't see why you feel it wasn't a good Idea to bring it to the attention of the FAA rep.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Are you claiming that running the AN-2 through club membership was SAFER than the previous system?

Nah, I'm just saying that it's great when people get together to figure out how to make something happen.

I guess I need to uncheck that box that says "Append signature to post". My signature line usually states my thoughts on skydiving fairly well, but it's not working very well for this thread is it?. :)

>>Why isn't this being used now?<<

The Potatoe Bridge is better. Hot air balloons are very WX and wind sensitive and while it was the next best thing - it's not BASE jumping . . . and that's what is being taught in those classes.

However, balloons still fly here almost every morning. And if you want I can try and arrange something for you. This particular outfit won't take skydivers up anymore - just BASE jumpers. They usually have two balloons one for whuffo rides and the other for flight instruction going at the same time.

NickD :)BASE 194

...The guy was packing his parachute...

Isn't it called a canopy???:):P
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

It is the opposite of what basejumping can give you: speed

How much for that? That will make a few jumpers I know very happy!!!! Oh, you mean going fast!!! :P

Why in Gods freakin name do a basejumper find it interesting to jump from a balloon with a baserig.

If you lived in our country, you would understand, she is as flat as a 12 yo girl. If you want relativity, hang 500 feet of crap off the basket and then do a floater. Close your eyes, then deploy!!!!!!!!

A jump without references

Funny you should say that. I know a guy who did a balloon demo jump and he actually got a reference from the organisers for doing such a good jump. That reference is now in his BASE resume. Oh, you meant the other reference . . . .

To use a basecanopy from a balloon...that is the lamest thing I have ever heard...

What about using a BASE canopy from an aeroplane? That would be even lamer huh?????

:D

ps. Why do you need relativity anyway. Can't you find your way around the sky without some fixed coordinates and landmarks to guide you? :P
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

3. Is there anything regulation wise that prevents cutting (using BASE rig only) from a tandem paraglider or an FAA 103 ultralight (provided the pilot is instructor - so he can fly legal tandems and he is not paid for flying)?

I believe that all FAA regulated aircraft fall under the same rules as far as parachuting from them.

That's good, because FAR 103 say that any flying device lighter than 255 lb, stall speed of 26mph or less and "redline" of 55mph is unregulated.

I recall now an impressive video of russel who cut from a paraglider in a tricycle landing gear.

The re-writing of FAR 103 to bring it in compliance with the Light Sport licence changes that. Basically if its a 2 seater plane of any sort its now brought back into the FAA's hands for regulation. By 2008 all 2 seater Ultralights of any type are to be regulated and this involves the pilot having a licence to revoke and needing to have an A&P sign off on an annual.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The re-writing of FAR 103 to bring it in compliance with the Light Sport licence changes that. Basically if its a 2 seater plane of any sort its now brought back into the FAA's hands for regulation. By 2008 all 2 seater Ultralights of any type are to be regulated and this involves the pilot having a licence to revoke and needing to have an A&P sign off on an annual.

They will always find a way...:(

is "the man" bringing you down again?:P

...The guy was packing his parachute...

Isn't it called a canopy???:):P

I'm guessing that I must have used the word parachute or chute multiple times in a reply to one of your posts?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

>>The re-writing of FAR 103 to bring it in compliance with the Light Sport licence changes that. Basically if its a 2 seater plane of any sort its now brought back into the FAA's hands for regulation<<

That's because the 2-place craft are the ones used for flight instruction. And you know some flights are really one time joyrides in the guise of flight instruction. Maybe the Feds feel this is all to close to commercial aviation.

Besides, are you sure about this - I always thought all the two place ultralights were already regulated. Wasn't it always, "One monkey can fly an ultralight, but if it's two monkeys, one of them better be sitting on a pilot's ticket."

None of this affects the single place models as long as they meet the other standards, right?

NickD :)BASE 194

None of this affects the single place models--yet--as long as they meet the other standards right?

There. I fixed it for you.
-C.

ok here is another.

"just because your paranoid, that doesn't make you wrong."
:D

Here are some of the restrictions:

no night flights;
no flights into Class A airspace, which is at or over 18,000' MSL;
no flights into Class B, C, or D airspace unless you receive training and a logbook endorsement;
no flights outside the U.S. without advance permission from that country(ies)
no sightseeing flights with passengers for charity fund raisers;
no flights above 10,000' MSL or 2,000' AGL, whichever is higher;
no flights when the flight or surface visibility is less than 3 statute miles;
no flights unless you can see the surface of the earth for flight reference;
no flights if the operating limitations issued with the aircraft do not permit that activity;
no flights contrary to any limitation listed on the pilot's certificate, U.S. driver's license, FAA medical certificate, or logbook endorsement(s);
no flights while carrying a passenger or property for compensation or hire (no commercial operations);
no renting a light-sport aircraft unless it was issued a "special" airworthiness certificate;
any qualified and current pilot (recreational pilot or higher) may fly a light-sport aircraft.
a light-sport aircraft may be flown at night if it is properly equipped for night flight and flown by a individual with a private pilot (or higher) certificate who has a current and valid FAA airman's certificate.

FAA describes a powered ultralight vehicle as a vehicle that:

* Is used or intended to be used for manned operation in the air by a single occupant (through exemptions, FAA allows 2-place ultralights to be used for instruction only - see below);

* Is used or intended to be used for recreation or sport purposes only;

* Does not have any U.S. or foreign airworthiness certificate; and:

Single-Place

* Weighs less than 254 pounds empty weight, excluding floats and safety devices which are intended for deployment in a potentially catastrophic situation;

* Has a fuel capacity not exceeding 5 U.S. gallons;

* Is not capable of more than 55 knots (63 mph) calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight; and

* Has a power-off stall speed which does not exceed 24 knots (28 mph) calibrated airspeed.

Two-Place

FAA defines 2-place ultralight vehicles in several exemptions to be used for flight instruction only and:

* Weighs less than 496 pounds empty weight, excluding floats and safety devices which are intended for deployment in a potentially catastrophic situation;

* Has a fuel capacity not exceeding 10 U.S. gallons;

* Is not capable of more than 75 knots (86 mph) calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight; and

* Has a power-off stall speed which does not exceed 35 knots (40 mph) calibrated airspeed.

Basically this means a single seater that meets these requirements can only carry 1 person since that is all it is certified for (And max take off on the one I helped build was'nt much more then Gas, spare tank of fuel, pilot and a sack lunch so 2 Bodies on it is WAY over Max take off) and if this is broken then the Pilot risks his/her ticket if they have one, other wise its just fines and the usual court fight. A Two seater Ultralight can not drop parachutists unless it is certified to do so. There is someone floating around in the Gear fourm that used to work for a Powered Parachute Manufactor and had a temp waiver to test dropping jumpers but it was never certified. The 2 Seater has an instructor rating and thats a full ticket so thats at risk also. If its higher specs then these listed... its a Light Sport and thats a full ticket on the line again.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com