henrik.anderson

Jalbert ParaFoil brake set

Hee! Hee!
The old Para-Foil manual says to set the brakes so the tail is x number of inches from the corner of the label, then they go into a lengthy description of how the opening brake setting will be different for each different weight of jumper.
Para-Foils can be pretty fussy about deployment brake settings. Last year I watched a guy cutaway an under-loaded Para-Foil because it kept surging back and forth.

I would be interested in the brake settings for an old 252 Foil from the manual if anyone has a copy. It may help my openings. Yesterday I had a cutaway casued by the pilot chute and bridle coming over the front of the canopy during inflation and wrapping around some of the lines in the back. The result looked like a line over.

I had a cutaway casued by the pilot chute and bridle coming over the front of the canopy during inflation and wrapping around some of the lines in the back.

What? no spider slider?!;)

Sounds like it's opening in a stall, might want to give it 4-5 inches at the brake setting point.

If you actually use it mostly for accuracy, I have
a few tips on how to set it up so that will never happen...and tend to make it a bit better for
competition.
But if you use it as a sport canopy mostly,
I would just let some brake out..

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Ah yes--I remember the spider slider. My foil still has the grommet in the top although it now has the D-Ring lip slider. I only use the canopy for accuracy and hop 'n pops. Currently the brakes are set well before the stall point (i.e. under canopy I can pull the toggles down to the "mark" and I'm nowhere near stalling).

For me the better process to tune the brakes of the parafoil is the following:
After opening seek the stall point.
The ideal point of stall is near with the hands the kidneys
Then see the length difference and adjust the length of the brakes for to have the hands close to the waist (kidneys) in the stall.
The point of brake setting for openings is + - 3 or 4 inches above the full flight or even in full flight
For to avoid the pilot in front of the nose use a bridle with 1,5 meters and F111 pilot chute with 90 cm diameter.

Roq

Ah yes--I remember the spider slider. My foil still has the grommet in the top although it now has the D-Ring lip slider. I only use the canopy for accuracy and hop 'n pops. Currently the brakes are set well before the stall point (i.e. under canopy I can pull the toggles down to the "mark" and I'm nowhere near stalling).

On mine I have the 'triangle ring & bridle' set up...
slows deployment & pulls the PC tight to the top
of the canopy. Also have a break away slider, between that and undoing the chest strap...
the canopy really flattens out and sinks 30%
better with no waffeling. Also got rid of the bag
and have a raper on it, packs up faster and smaller...and gets the xtra junk off the top of
the airfoil.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~