Donk

Bridge Day 2006 Video Festival

Bridge Day 2006 Video Festival

This is a reminder that the 2006 Bridge Day Video Festival will be held Thursday night, October 19th, at the Holiday Inn bar "Rafters" from 9:00 PM - 12:00 AM.

Last year’s festival was the best year yet B| with amazing entries from our winners BC Production’s – As The Rush Comes, Nate Varns’ – Thread The Needle, James Boole’s – Mucho BASE, and the Triax’s T-stake promo; additionally we saw some great stuff from Adrenaline Exploits, Ill Vision, Team FX, and many others.

Some info and changes for this year:

We plan to pre-screen the videos to get a more “sober” assessment :S of each video prior to the event. After some post Bridge Day reviews of the videos, some of us felt that a few pretty great videos were overlooked by the inundation of similar footage, drug and alcohol goggles by the 10th video :P, or just being distracted by the great crowd and such. We will still accept entries at the event but they will not have the advantage of the pre-screening, and if we have reached the 10 video limit already then it will be at the judges discretion how many more they are willing to see beyond that.

We will also be lowering the number entries to 10 and 5 standbys to fill in for any one of the 10 that do not show or if time, the judges, and crowd want more. First come, first serve. There is no limit on the pre-screened entries so have your video in by October 1st.

If delivering it in person, email me the entry form by October 1st and have your video to us no later than 7:00 that evening. At a minimum, please let us know you will be bringing a late entry by October 1st via email. We will have all the forms available in Rafters for walk-in entries starting at 5:00 PM.

To continue the effort to make the Bridge Day Video Festival one of the premier BASE video festivals in the world, we will keep the cash prizes added last year in addition to the other prizes Jason is in the process of acquiring.

1st: $500.00 B|
2nd: $200.00 ;)
3rd: $100.00 :ph34r:
Honorable Mention: $1.00 :S

Not bad for an event without any entry fee.

We will also be announcing the three winners and showing the winning videos to the Saturday night crowd at the close of the briefing in the large conference room.

Comments from last year's event:
Please follow the "10 minute" rule or have a 10 minute "Trailer" of your full length production.

If your entry is unedited or a "rough-cut" please have it queued to the beginning and pay close attention to the time. Once again few entries got cut short before their "money shot" because the video went well beyond the 10 minutes and/or the judges asked for the next video.

Please keep in mind that the judges have to watch 10 - 15 of these and it can get pretty grueling, so have your best ready to roll.

Also, pay close attention to when your video is going to be played so that you can introduce the video (optional) and monitor the playback.

DVD (NTSC) and MiniDV only.

Judges:
We will need a few judges. Same deal as last year; the judges get free drinks and munchies during the course of the event.

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or suggestions.

PM: [email protected] Phone: (913) 908 - 3043

The link to the official Bridge Day Video Festival site is here and the new form will be added shortly (last years form is fine too):
http://www.bridgeday.info/videofest.php

Thanks and I am sure that everyone is looking forward to another great year of some amazing videos that feature the best of the best, most knarly, hilarious, and inspirational videos shot since last year.

Tony "Donk" DiCola
11184 Antioch, # 198
Overland Park, KS 66210 – 2420
[email protected]
(913) 908 - 3043

PS: The videos don’t necessarily have to be from 2006 but entries from previous years will not be allowed.

Thanks for all the work you put into this Donker.
Hopefully we'll have time to produce something for this year's festival.

one question though...
would you be able to list the judging criteria for the festival? That might help people decide what to present...
just a thought.

rock on fucker.
pope

Check out the link that Donk listed above - it includes the judging criteria (same as last year). Cya.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

>>We plan to pre-screen the videos to get a more “sober” assessment of each video prior to the event.<<

I'm claiming that one. My small part in upping the quality of the judging . . . And I brought my best stuff - for a Bridge Day weekend . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Donk and his crew deserve some serious credit for bringing the BASE Videofest to where it is today. Plus, he generously contributed the prize money. Anyone who enters the videofest can take home some serious cash and prizes.

Nick's scoresheet deserves to hang in the BASE Hall of Fame.

And how can Triax beat their last two entries? Maybe a video of Maggot reading a dictionary in freefall?
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

And how can Triax beat their last two entries?

by not putting that annoying triax logo over the whole damn thing!

seriously, I was pissed when I bought Continuum II and was treated to full length logo, it really distracts from the footage

Any chance of you putting together a compilation DVD?

Kind of like what the FreeflyBoyz do after one of their film festivals?

I'm sure some of us who can't make it would be happy to pay a few bucks for a dub.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

Video Festival DVD

Doing a best of or Video Fest DVD is something we have been discussing for years. It usually comes down to the owners of the actual video and how they plan to distribute it. I will ask the entrants if they will allow their video in a Video Festival 04 DVD or maybe a "best of" type of thing but don't hold your breath :P, some of the entries are from companies who make their living off the footage and we make no claim to any of the footage in the festival; so it is understandable that they would not want their footage mass produced and sold for a few bucks...but I will see how everyone feels about the idea as we get closer to the event. Maybe a highlights DVD to promote their product and entice the viewer into buying the full length version of the entry?

Thanks for the note.

Pope - thanks bro! B|

Judges Scoring

The judge’s score is based on 5 categories:
Action - Type of footage (bust, injury, great flicks, etc)
Story - Did the video tell a story
CinemaQ - Quality of the footy
Editing - How it was put together
Overall - How much did the judge dig it.

The audience is heavily BASE biased and typically the videos with the best BASE footage do the best and even the shortest non BASE footy (like skydiving) has a tendency to get a big boo from the crowd. This is unfortunate because two of last years entries were bad a$$ but I think the judges were swayed by the crowd booing the skydiving footage. Hopefully the prescreening will eliminate this and give that "sober" unbiased review of each video.

Thanks again!

Donk.

UPDATE: Bridge Day is getting close and I wanted to send out an update on the Video Festival. We have recieved 6 entries and 2 more slots "reserved", and from what I have seen so far, most impressive.

Please contact me if you plan to submit an entry and if possible have it sent in so it is received by October 6th.

If we have all entries by October 10th, we plan to pre-screen them all prior to the event and show the top 10 at the event and reserve final judging for the festival on Thursday night and give additional credit for crowd reaction and “state of mind” interpretation. Lol. ;)

Thanks,

Donk

[email protected]
(913) 908 - 3043