laskydiver

RAVEN IV as a base canopy

I have a Raven IV modified for BASE and it's been a great BASE canopy. As with any canopy, one has to learn it's limits and understand how it flies. There are some jumps I prefer the Raven on and others I've learned never to take it off again.

I wouldn't say one canopy is 'safer' than another, as though your chances of death or injury are reduced by the canopy you fly. I wouldn't say one canopy is more 'dangerous' than another. As DW once told me: "A good canopy pilot can have perfect jumps and landings on even a bad canopy, whereas a bad canopy pilot will always have poor canopy flights and performance no matter how great a canopy you give them.".

It's better to become skilled and adept with a canopy you are comfortable with, understand how you fly it, and how it handles and adjust your jumping accordingly.

I've met people who believe it's a good idea for new jumpers to experiments with all manner of canopies with the hope of finding a favorite or one that they prefer. This means that new jumpers are constantly jumping with gear they are unfamiliar with. They then attribute early successes and injuries to things like objects, canopies, containers, etc. Finding a configuration that fits comfortably, a canopy of an appropriate size and state of repair, and then jumping that gear configuration until you know it like the back of your hand, gives you some constants in your jumping. It allows you to investigate the other variables at play in a BASE jump and improve your understanding of your own jumping and the sport. In addition it also gives you the delicate understanding of your gear so that you -can- tell the differences between difference canopies.

Someone with many jumps on a Raven IV (such as Avery) is going to be much better (and safer) jumper than a newbie with few skydives who just bought the latest and greatest BASE specific canopy.

Best of luck.

-=Raistlin
find / -name jumpers -print; cat jumpers $USER > manifest; cd /dev/airplane; more altitude; make jump; cd /pub; more beer;

When laid on top of a BASE specific canopy for comparison, the differences are quite evident.

I made a direct comparison between my Ace 240 and my Super Raven III (PIA 240).

The Ace has a thicker profile hence it is probably able to generate more low-speed lift but it won't fly as fast as the Raven.

The stabilizer is a different size and shape

The stabilizer of the Ace is bigger.

the crossports are differently sized and arranged

The Ace has three sets, the Raven two, the X-ports between the C and D lines are missing on the Raven. On the Ace the front X-port is much bigger made out of three oval cuts instead of one on the Raven. The center X-port is comparable on both, and the last X-port on the Ace is much smaller than the center one (about 1/2 the size).

the trim of the canopy is not as steep

The Ace has a shallower angle of incidence, read the Raven is "steeper" unlike what Tom claims.

and the line trim is arranged differently

The main differences here are that the lines of the Ace are longer, as per CR "tradition" and on the Ace they are spread apart more.
Memento Audere Semper