base689

Money collection for wireless meteo station at ITW

Hello there. I thought about posting our enquiry here.
To make short a long story. A UK bloke gifted us a wired meteo station to be installed at our ITW; this station is NOT possible to be installed because the "sensor piece" is needed to be placed on top of a 2.5 m - 8 ft pole in the middle of the landing area (I already spotted the most suitable area, it's a small squared (already) fenced area, we need to ask for permiots but this is another story...) and CANNOT be connected to the "display piece": for those who know the place, it is NOT possible to lay a 150 m - 492 ft cable from landing area across the street to the bar.
So, the only meteo station possible to be installed is a wireless meteo station. A suitable instrument for this purpose is the Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless: its "sensor piece" is a self-contained/self-power/self-transmitting sensor unit (solar cells/batteries/weather proof, whatever), its "display piece" has got the receiving antenna (up to 305 m - 1000 ft distance).
This Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless costs about 600 € - 720 $.
We started a money collection at our web site http://www.basejumper.it/muchobase/index.php, subforum I.B.A., thread "Colletta per stazione meteo wireless per parete terminale" (sorry, it's in Italian).
Firstly, we were thinking about raising money among ourselves but we Italian folks are very few, so I thought that if there are US/foreign BASE jumpers that once in a while come and jump our terminal wall and wish to contribute to the safety of ALL the BASE community (knowing (once on exit point) which the wind is on landing is a very nice thing indeed, being wind strength the main concern when jumping ITW), they could throw in few money for the cause.
If any BASE jumper would like to contribute to buy the wirless meteo station, he/she could send 10$ (or any other lower amount of money) to my PayPal account (username: base689 ; e-mail: base_689ATyahoo.com ), just specify in the notes that the sum is for Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless station (or just "meteo station ITW").
I thank in advance to all the folks who will contribute to the cause.
When (or if!!!!) reached two thirds (or so) of the required sum, I will post here to stop sending money: the rest to reach the required amount will be taken care by our Italian folks.
I will partecipate personally in installing the sensor piece as well as to installa the "display" piece inside the bar (I will do the calibration too). For sure, if it is needed to climb a tree to install the pole (for the "sensor piece")(not sure if we will get the permits to install it in the fenced "squared" area), I will happily let #726 to do that part, mainly because #726 is way younger than me and way fitter than me ;)
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

How will the meteo readings be accessed? Via web? Via telephone? Or am I not understanding this correctly...?
cheers!
pope

From how I took what he said, it seems that the meteo will be accessed from the bar acrost the street.

> How will the meteo readings be accessed? Via web? Via telephone? Or am I not understanding this correctly...?
—————————————————————————————
As d_goldsmith said.
The "display" (actually it is the meteo station itself...) will be placed somewhere inside the BASE bar across the street.
Once on exit point, giving a phone call to the girls, they will read the display and tell you that there are 8 knots of winds coming from south or so.
We were thinking about placing the station with disply somewhere (blocked with some spit/screw) somewhere AT exit point but:
1) exit is 2 km - 1.24 mi far from landing, I haven't found any non-professional meteo station this powerful
2) it would have needed a self contained solar power unit to supply power to the station
3) it would have required to place the station within some plexiglass case to protect it from weather (with some sort of sun shelter too)
Too complicated.
The best solution so far is to place sensor on landing and station inside the bar (...hope the girls won't be fed up too soon, tough... B| )
If in few years time it will come avaliable a wireless meteo station whose sensor piece and display pice are both self-contained/self-solar-power and can be placed 3 km - 1.86 mi far away, we could then give it a go and start another money collection ;)
Stay safe out there

From now on if you purchase a copy of the MUCHO BASE DVD all the proceeds will be donated towards the ITW weather station!

Or if you want to look it another way ;) make a donation of $35 (€28) or more towards the weather station and receive a free copy of Mucho BASE!

For mucho base dvd donations please visit: www.muchobase.com or PM me.
BASEstore.it

Hello --

Even though this is a sticky, I just wanted to bump it with another reply and try to rally some more support. The Italian crew has always given great support for the world-wide jumping community and always welcomes qualified jumpers to their sites with open arms. Their continual efforts have kept the ITW legal when it has faced dark times.

Many of us that visit this forum have enjoyed jumping from the ITW. If you can swing it, please consider ponying up $10 for a great cause! Knowing the winds in the landing area can aid you in determing the wind pattern for the day and may help determine when bad conditions are on the rise.

If you happen to unknowingly jump when conditions are bad, there are minimal outs once you've committed to the main landing area. Lets do our part to save damage to bones and help protect this ever-fragile, wonderful site!

Thanks,

Bryan

Your video made it across the ocean and showed up here at the shop to day. Nice. When I was bumming around Europe I was having so much fun in Switzerland that I never made it down south into Italy. I so missed out. I’ll have to come visit you one of these days. Thanks for the vid we all got a kick out of it.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Hi base689,
Can you keep an update on the tally on how much more is needed? Thanks in advance,
Take care,
space

Hi Space --

I made a donation on August 2nd via PayPal, but it is still unclaimed. I've also sent 689 an email, but have not heard anything back yet. Perhaps they are on a BASE adventure right now...

Anyone know?

Bryan

Hi anybody!!!
I am on vacation in my hometown and I have my PC broken down :(
Presently I am digiting from an Internet point and I am checking mail and posts here on DZ after a good while.
I collected the pending donations (when someone is donating me in USD, I have phisycally go into my ?PayPal account and clikc on "Accept" to convert them into EURO and get them accounted on my PayPal account. I will check my PayPal account also in the next days (even if once in a while).
Please, keep on doing "small" donations, when "enough" money will be received by me trough DZ/PayPal, I will post to stop.
I am thinking to buy a Davis Wireless Vantege Pro 2 plus a repeater (I think that the 120m-300m of allowance between sensor and console would NOT be enough, provided that sensor will be located "quite" far from console (which will be placed inside the bar), such a configuration is to cost about 750€ (all (=shipment, VAT, import duties, etc ) included), as of today tue 22 august 2006 I got from donations about 450€: when collected a "little bit more" I will post here to stop donations (the remaing will be on us (=Italian blokes)).
In the meanwhile: A BIG THANK TO ANYONE WHO DONATED ANY SUM OF MONEY.
THANKS!!! :)
Stay safe out there

provided that sensor will be located "quite" far from console (which will be placed inside the bar)

just a though: can the console be placed inside the bar, but still be visible from the outside (e.g. behind a window or something)? this would help if people want to jump outside bar hours...
flummi
* Respekt - ist uns're Aufgabe (fanta4) *

Possible alternative: Post the requirements of the weather station hardware, and I may be able to get a VERY good price on somethign that'll meet said requirements. Not a promise, and not even 50/50.. but possible.
cavete terrae.

just a though: can the console be placed inside the bar, but still be visible from the outside (e.g. behind a window or something)? this would help if people want to jump outside bar hours...

Hi all,
the bar is open all days from 6:30am to 8:00-30pm.
So you want jump in the night? ;)

Closed on Tuesdays though?

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

are you sure??? i have been there within that timeframe and it was NOT open. and after 2 yrs in italy i have come to understand that opening times are more rough guidelines and not set in stone... (not a criticism, but a fact that one has to accept)

So you want jump in the night? ;)

yes. why not?

that wall is definitely safer at night (with moonlight) that during the day. winds are lower.

well, i guess then you don't need the weather station eiter, that's true. but just to be safe, it would be nice...
flummi
* Respekt - ist uns're Aufgabe (fanta4) *