seabass

The Ultimate BASE site...

Hello all!

Heres a BASE site that will fill your head with wondorous visions and delerious dreams...

I know one isn't supposed to name sites, but that fact that this site is 10,000,000 km away from Earth, and that no current technology exists for the average BASE jumper to traverses that distance in a timely fashion, makes me confident that an exception can be made.

Anyway, the site is a cliff located on one of Uranus' moons, Miranda. Known as Verona Rupes, it has a near vertical relief of at least 10km / 6 miles. Other figures claim 20km / 12 miles. Either way, thats one monstrous cliff!

Besides the problem of getting to this site, Miranda's surface gravity is 0.079 m/s^2, and her atmospheric pressure is 0 kPa. Im not exactly sure what this means with regards to freefall and parachute performance, but it's probably not good.

But hey, in a thousand years if Miranda is terraformed, this just might be the primo jump destination in the solar system...who knows?

Sweet dreams and be safe!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_%28moon%29
SIM 6-9, I: Attempting to land using a wing suit without deploying the parachute would likely result in serious injury or death.

You know, if were eventually terraformed you'd literally be jumping a beach towel!;)

i would only go there if i didnt had to climb/hike all the way:P
would i need a slider or a rig at all?:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

You know, if were eventually terraformed you'd literally be jumping a beach towel!;)

As I recall from a discussion along the lines of "skydive Mars", the balance between lower gravity and the fact that that lower gravity holds a thinner atmosphere sits heavily in favour of the latter. The short of it: 500 square feet on Mars would be sporty. Even at 0.079 m/s^2, a fall of 10 km puts you at a speed, without the aid of appropriate drag, of a little better than 200 mph, so "sporty" translates as "ouch". (Does it ever translate any other way?)

The practical thing to do, I think, would be to buy the cliff and move it over here, where the atmosphere's nicer. :P

Well, I'm no astrophysicist (although I did major in astrophysics)... but, an atmospheric pressure of zero means there is no atmosphere. And despite our well documented social skillls in creating cool atmospheres, this satellite does not have the gravity to support one.

No air means no drag on your pilot chute, and no deploy. At 200mph even if the surface is made of marshmallow, the ultimate base site is going to require the ultimate PLF.

(I also recommend a helmet and some sturdy moon boots)

(I also recommend a helmet and some sturdy moon boots)

I like these.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Site naming!!! >:( What if some little martian puts himself off of that cliff and goes in under a surplus round??? >:(>:(

I'm such a dork. :S:D
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

At 200mph even if the surface is made of marshmallow, the ultimate base site is going to require the ultimate PLF.

It's not 200mph, but only 89mph (v = sqrt(2gh) = sqrt(2*0.079*10000) = 40m/s). Definitely survivable with fresh marshmallow (if it's deep enough). :)
But the freefall will last 8 minutes 20 seconds (t = sqrt(2h/g) = 500s). You'll be bored long before the impact!

Anyway, it'll be a National Park and NPS will charge you with vacuumial delivery and chase you down till you drown in liquid nitrogen river in the Valley.
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

It's not 200mph, but only 89mph

My bad. My physics is fine, but my unit conversion, apparently, sucks. 89 mph should be a piece of cake. I'll shoot video.

Dude nice Rainbow Moon Boots. ...:S Did you pull them out of the closet ? ...;)
or Did you steal them from a marcher of a Gay Pride Parade in Anchorage Alaska ?

Jp
stole those boots from me. I got them when I played luke skywalker in my juiner high school play. and darth vader and i had a sword fight with prince laya in the janitors closet evryday for a week. but what does any of this half to do with base jumping.polaty instructors.
TOSS MY SALAD
I'm an invincible re-tarded ninja
derka derka bakala bakala muhammad jihad

..."but what does any of this half to do with base jumping.polaty "
-

Nothing ! don't you get it ?
This is, ' Make Believe ' interplanetary BASE jumping.
Don't you understand ? This is dzcom basezone.
This is BASE jumping interplanetary fantasy like the Space Homoerotic tale as you discribed. Of you dressed Like Skywalker having a genital-Swordfight with your buddy dressed as Darth Vader. As your other buddy dressed as Princes Laya was watching as a Voyeur to fulfill his Fantasy..
-
ok I am also assuming that the word, ' polaty ' in your sentence is possibly ?
politely, polaties, polarity, plates, polocks, polywaly or policy ?
Do you want me to mail you a dictionary for a Christmas present ?

Exercise ????? ...:S
Well Mat, I think all the make-believe interplanetary BASE jumping is tied together in this Thread because this is the dzcom BASE ZONE.
What I don't understand is what does Magot's Homoerotic Star Wars space tale of his 3-way in the janitors closet. Have to do with dzcom basezone make-believe space BASE jumping ?

how about wingsuiting this big boy?
how far do you think you'd get? B|
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

just about as far as you'd get without a wingsuit... what you really need is to be launched from a cannon... then you'd get some mad distance!
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

Ultimate base site??? Nah

In my head i have constructed the ultimate BASE site. If anyone would like me to draw it for you to discuss further then i'd be happy to. I have yet to decide on the gravity (terminal velocity) but when i do you can be sure i'll post it here for all to see and discuss further.

Sadly however, this site will only be accessible when i say so and is currently only available to active 'make believe' basejumpers. Sorry.