skyjules

Open minded???

I do pack my own rig, I just haven't been jumping that often this summer.

***Free bird Forever

Actually, I need to update my profile. How much weight should I add for the chute?

***Free bird Forever

Actually, by the wingloading posted in her profile, a "150" with a BASE exit weight would be fairly close to ideal.

YIKES!! A 150 is never optimal in BASE. I'm 105 lbs loaded at .58 on a Raven I, and it is ground hungry with a good amount of forward speed. I would not recommend this canopy to land in tight spots.

A BASE specific 185ish canopy is much closer to 'ideal.'

And it's not called a chute (exept you have a pre 300ish BASE Number and are truly oldschool... :-)), it's a canopy...

Edited to remove the arrogant part of my post but I left the chute part so hokitt's following post still does make sence...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

Somebody recomended a Prodigy on this forum for you. Prodigy in my opinion is the best WS to learn on.. But Phoenix reccomends a minimum of 100 skydives... and in my opinion it should only be 100 if you do them in less than a year or close to that... otherwise 200-250 is a better # at which you can start flying like a bird...
i wont comment on the rest since i dont know s@#$
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

When I get home I'll weigh my chutes and rigs together and let you know.

My chute is a Black Jack 240 and the other chute is a Black Jack 240. Those are assembled into Perigee Pros.

That doesn't include the other 2 chutes I'm not using. One chute is an Intercepter 225 and the other chute is a Raven III. Both of those chutes have been used to some degree in a BASE environment.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

i didnt know they made ravens that are only 111 s.ft. and it looked way bigger when i jumped it. :P;)

Add all the 1s together to make a Raven III

Fixed it.

I have a 109 if you care to try it out.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

The following is a bit off-topic, but it seems to have come up quite a lot in this thread, and I think it bears repeating.

Actually, by the wingloading posted in her profile, a "150" with a BASE exit weight would be fairly close to ideal.

The wingloading issue has been discussed quite a lot in the past. One of the best guidelines I've seen is this one:

Take your naked weight, add 100, and that's your "standard" canopy size. Add a size for bad landing areas, subtract a size for high winds.

Many factors which affect the performance of a canopy do not scale linearly with wingloading, so that someone who weighs half as much and is flying a canopy half the size will not experience similar performance.

Michael

Edited for clarity

Take your naked weight, add 100, and that's your "standard" canopy size. Add a size for bad landing areas, subtract a size for high winds.

Yes, this is correct. Add 100 to your naked weight in pounds. Add 20 if the altitude is high and/or the landing areas are difficult. Subtract 20 if the jumps have easy landing areas, like those found around many antennas.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Also,
Listening to "Daredevil" on The Tragically Hip's album "Day for Night" will help you too....

Well, it can't hurt anyway.

Later,
SMD7

This only really works for people in the 160-180lbs range though, doesn't it?

Imagine using this on a 50 lbs person. If gear is 15lbs wing loading .43

On a 300lbs person, wingloading .7875

If a 50lbs person added the extra 20 for bad landing area their windloading goes down to .38

I have no experience with a wingloading that low, but I'm assuming the canopy would collapse very easily and not represurize very easily.

What is recommended wing loading for high wind or easy landing area, normal, and bad landing area?

You are right, but how many jumpers do you know that weigh either 50 pounds or 300 pounds?
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Good point. It's probably a safe estimate for wingloading.

I wonder if the canopy's weight effects wing loading. Obviously the lines and everything below them do, but does the canopy effect it at all? Bottom skin only maybe?

The following is a bit off-topic, but it seems to have come up quite a lot in this thread, and I think it bears repeating.

The wingloading issue has been discussed quite a lot in the past. One of the best guidelines I've seen is this one:

Many factors which affect the performance of a canopy do not scale linearly with wingloading, so that someone who weighs half as much and is flying a canopy half the size will not experience similar performance.

Michael

Edited for clarity

A bit off-topic is probably an understatement.;)

Good points, though.:)
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I wonder if the canopy's weight effects wing loading. Obviously the lines and everything below them do, but does the canopy effect it at all? Bottom skin only maybe?

Then you'd be happy to fly a canopy with a topskin made of lead, I guess.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Hopefully soon there will be more experienced BASE jumpers reading this thread to review the information already provided and correct any misinformation and provide additional valuable information.

Misinformation should not be given in the hopes that "someone smarter will correct it later". The people who don't know, shouldn't say.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

My advice:

Read the first post in this thread. Note the physical location of the poster (near to you) and his experience level. Skip the rest of the thread, and instead send him a PM asking if you can meet him for a beer, or out at a local dropzone.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Good observation!
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

The entire system and everything that hangs underneath it affects wing loading and should be included. You don't just count the bottom surface of an aircraft wing when measuring its wing loading.

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Whilst the intent is well meaning, I believe your statement is correct to some extent. There is some BASE experience and you can learn from it, but more time / hard yards / lots of experience would certainly put the said author in a more positive position.

They'll get there.

It's a phase.

Freeflying experience isn't going to be imperative in BASE, but it will be important on terminal jumps.

What about 3-d spacial awareness?

What about transitions from one orientation to another and controlling descent rates?

What about deployment at the end of the jump and ensuing canopy ride / accuracy landing?

What about air time itself?

There are some activites that are more relevant than others. BUT all air time helps you develop transferable skills!!!!!!!