base428

Breakdown of Canopy Usage at Bridge Day 2006

Here is a breakdown of 292 canopies in use and their popularity at Bridge Day 2006. When I get more time, I'll compare this to past years and also see which container is the most popular. I thought some of you techno-geeks might want to waste your workday by overanalyzing this list and checking to see if it all adds up to 100%. Enjoy.

Ace ----- 17.12%
Blackjack ----- 11.99%
Fox ----- 11.64%
Mojo ----- 10.62%
Flik ----- 10.27%
Troll ----- 9.59%
Dagger ----- 7.19%
Raven ----- 6.16%
PD ----- 2.05%
Cruiselite ----- 1.71%
Fury ----- 1.71%
Rock Dragon ----- 1.37%
Aquila ----- 1.03%
Falcon ----- 1.03%
Lightning ----- 1.03%
Dragon ----- 0.68%
Pursuit ----- 0.68%
Titan ----- 0.68%
Triathalon ----- 0.68%
Astrobe ----- 0.34%
Interceptor ----- 0.34%
Manta ----- 0.34%
Parafoil ----- 0.34%
Pisa ----- 0.34%
Rascal ----- 0.34%
Sharpchuter ----- 0.34%
Spectre ----- 0.34%

Edit: Canopies listed as per those submitted by registered BD2006 jumpers. Many jumpers have additional rigs, so this list shouldn't be considered accurate.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Maybe the discrepancy occurs from using 2 significant figures.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Very nice Martin, you almost have 30% of the market share. What I don't get is why more people buy ACE then Black Jacks...
I started with an Ace and now I jump both. Facit, with my BJ I get softer openings on subterminal and terminal slider up jumps than with my Ace and I get faster openings with my BJ for slider down jumps. And I pack both canopies the same way. But sorry, this was a short hijack...

Edit to add:
When I say I pack both canopies the same way I mean that I leave the nose the same way. But of course I change the brake settings...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

Isn't the Mojo also made by (or at least distributed by) Martin? That would put him at 39.7%.

ApexBASE has ~30% which includes the Fox, FliK, Dagger, and Rock Dragon.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

It only adds up to 99.95%[:/]

That's some funny stuff. I knew I could get someone to fall for that.

While being the most popular doesn't always equate to being the best, we can see a lot from this analysis. And I'm sure the manufacturers might be interested in knowing a rough estimate of their market share as well. Bridge Day is a pretty good representation of the BASE community with new and old jumpers attending each year. So I would assume that these numbers aren't off by that much when extrapolated to the entire BASE community.

Stay tuned.....harness/containers will be posted shortly.

PS. Who makes the "Aquila" canopy? Never heard of it.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Im thinking most people who are jumping would be using their "B" gear if they have it. If I had been there I would have been jumping my Mojo not my Blackjack. It's faster to pack the openings are softer, and I wouldn't care as much if it got wet.
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Bridge Day is a pretty good representation of the BASE community with new and old jumpers attending each year. So I would assume that these numbers aren't off by that much when extrapolated to the entire BASE community.

The US BASE community. I'm sure if Bridge Day would be in Europe, it would look a little different.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.michibase.ch

So far, 11% of all Bridge Day 2006 jumpers come from outside the USA. What kind of canopy numbers would we see if it were in Europe? What would be the most popular canopy?

The US BASE community. I'm sure if Bridge Day would be in Europe, it would look a little different.

I can only guess but in Kjerag and Lauterbrunnen I have seen a lot of Trolls from European jumpers...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.michibase.ch

Hard to say Jason, but like Mikki I would expect the troll to take a bigger slice of the european pie. I'm basing that on absolutely nothing conclusive i must add.

ian

I started with an Ace and now I jump both. Facit, with my BJ I get softer openings on subterminal and terminal slider up jumps than with my Ace

Is this common? I would fiqure if the ACE and the Black Jack are the same airfoil with the exception of the vents the BJ would open harder at subterminal and terminal. Any One?
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

just for the anal figure freaks......... do you have this data in comparison to previous years?

Bridge Day is a pretty good representation of the BASE community

I really do disagree with this statement and also feel a little insulted by it.......

There are many BASE jumpers who cringe at the BD circus, and to say it is a representation of us all is an insult....

Yep, I do await the expected onslaught of abuse from all of you...

I'm pretty sure he meant a good sample of BASE jumpers to represent the average of types of gear used.

oops............. mis-read in my venting..... :$

do you have this data in comparison to previous years?

Read post #1. Should have it shortly......cya.

Spectre?...Parafoil?....come-ON...really...

congrats are also due to aerodyne who has 0.68% of the market share. way to go guys;) !
late,
RJ$$
word to your mother,
RJ$$
BASE 1117

:D:D:D
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

I would fiqure if the ACE and the Black Jack are the same airfoil with the exception of the vents the BJ would open harder at subterminal and terminal.

What makes you think that?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I would fiqure if the ACE and the Black Jack are the same airfoil with the exception of the vents the BJ would open harder at subterminal and terminal.

What makes you think that?

The vents on the BJ. Faster pressurization at the same air speed. I have never jumped a ACE or BJ at terminal so I don't know. I'm not saying I'm right but in my small brain I can't see how the ACE can open harder at terminal than the BJ. But I just ordered a ACE 280 just for terminal jumps. That's why I'm really interested.
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"