NickDG

WLO Toggle Alert - Apex BASE . . .

WLO Toggle Alert - Apex BASE . . .

July 10, 2006

We have developed an updated version of our WLO Toggle we are calling V.2 WLO. We have moved the pin from the back side of the toggle to the front and re-designed the routing of the release cable. Both these changes will make the toggle/control line connection more secure. We are in the process of contacting all original purchasers of the V.1 WLO Toggle by e-mail or snail mail to arrange free replacements and this notice is to supplement that action.

We are requesting the original versions not be used from this date forward and that they be returned to us for replacement. For more information please contact us via e-mail at perrisATapexbase.com (replace the “AT” with a “@”) or call us at (951) 940 – 1324.

Thank you,
NickD
Apex BASE

Nick, I used WLO v.1 on several jumps, my concerns were 1) the pin goes into its tab just by 1/4 inch, a little dispacement of the pin during opening can disconnect the toggle from the line, and 2) you need 2 motions to clear the lineover: release the pin by pulling the ring attached to the red strip, pull the toggle from the eyelet brake setting.

How V.2 is more secure?

Thanks
Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

I used WLO v.1 on several jumps

Are those the same as the original Vertigo WLO toggles? Or did Apex come out with a new model?

my concerns were 1) the pin goes into its tab just by 1/4 inch, a little dispacement of the pin during opening can disconnect the toggle from the line

I've done two slider-up BASE jumps and at least fourty terminal skydives with my Vertigo WLO toggles, and they've never come lose by accident.

2) you need 2 motions to clear the lineover: release the pin by pulling the ring attached to the red strip, pull the toggle from the eyelet brake setting.

This is what makes me think that you must have a different model than I have. On my WLO toggles the line clears as soon as I pull the ring. I've done this on purpose on many occasions.

To Nick; can you elaborate on the underlying motivation for this free-of-charge replacement program? Typically, BASE manufacturers don't provide free upgrades if they come out with new models, unless there was something defective with the old models and it's a recall.

I think it's a great gesture from Apex to offer replacements free of charge, but I've been quite happy with my original WLOs. Have there been reported accidental firings?

Thanks,

Jaap Suter

Are those the same as the original Vertigo WLO toggles?

No, WLO v.1 was released early this year.

Yuri

2) you need 2 motions to clear the lineover

That is not correct. What you have decided are two separate actions really is only one action.

Read the manual. If you follow the procedure in it, it is one action, as you can unstow the toggle from the risers by continuing to pull on the ring.

I know it works that way because I have done it more than once as practice at the TBPB.

I don’t see that your point number 1 is a big concern either, or possibility for that matter. The pins take no load during opening other than deceleration and even on slider off 3.5 second delays with a Blackjack mine have stayed in every time so far and that has to be almost 50 jumps on them by now. Even if they did release during opening, the toggle stub will keep the control line captive until you unstow the brakes, after which one brakeline release should not be impossible to deal with. On the practice jumps I did with them and Apex risers, the brakelines stayed hung up on the risers for a few seconds anyway, long enough that I had time to take them and fly with the released brakelines wrapped around two fingers. Release during an object avoidance turn or flare would be way worse and I would say far less likely.

I really like the cloth stub WLO toggles and I would love to know what information their recall is based on.

I really like the original WLO toggles/risers combination too, but dislike the accelerated wear SYKO toggles place on your brakelines when jumped slider down, so I use my original WLO risers/toggles only for slider up jumps, changing risers and toggles for slider off.

I would like to avoid the riser change though, so I got a set of the cloth stub WLO toggles to trial and slider up they work great, slider off they have been working great too, used with Apex, Paratech and Asylum risers.

Try and get your fact straights before posting again, thanks!

Cya
Sam

ApexBASE doing this indicates the highest standards of service and the highest levels of ethics. Kudos to ApexBASE! :)
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I second the kudos to Apex BASE. Received the email which details the problem, complete with detailed instructions and pictures for rigging a workaround. And free 3-month replacement offer.

Excellent job, Apex!!! :)
Yuri

To Clarify:

If you're happy with your v.1 WLOs we've included a work around in the information anyone who purchased a pair from us will soon receive. This involves some simple hand tacking that will make the first version more secure.

However, we would be more happy if you agreed to the exchange. And we are sure you'll be even more satisfied with the newer version.

Here's the background which led to this post and our current position with the Apex WLO v.1 Toggles:

We tested the original v.1 WLO Toggles on our personal rigs for over a year in-house as well as giving them to several jumpers who willingly agreed to be official Apex test jumpers before releasing the first pair to the field late last year. Just recently, there have been two un-intentional releases. The first was over this past Memorial Day weekend. We immediately began looking at the situation and initially suspected jumper error during assembly. However, the caliber of the jumper involved made that assumption suspect. So we immediately set about looking at ways to improve the security of the control line/toggle connection while maintaining its ability to release the control line if needed. We had the letter prepared by last Friday (the 7th of July) and were in the process of compiling a list of affected customers to be notified.

Then over the weekend it happened again. And this time it was also an experienced jumper who we feel did not make an error in assembly. So, in essence, we’ve been working on a solution since Memorial Day 2006 but now due to this second incident we feel we cannot wait any longer and we’re confident that a complete, and free to our customers, exchange program is warranted.

Incidental and prior to any problems with the V.1 WLO Toggle we were already working on a new version because we are constantly looking for ways to improve our gear. That second version was ready prior to the initial incident and we now want the newer version in the field as soon as possible.

The letter all owners should receive today will essentially say you’ll receive a pair of new V.2 WLO Toggles, at no charge, once we receive your V.1 WLO Toggles here at either our Perris or Moab shops. If you know your contact information has changed (e-mail, phone, or address) since your last contact with us please e-mail or call to update that information.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause, but our intention is to always provide gear you can depend on and we appreciate your co-operation in this matter.

There is a copy of the letter we sent to our purchasers of V.1 WLO on our website here:

http://www.apexbase.com/portal/content.asp?contentid=95

Thank You,
The Apex Team
E-mail: perrisATapexbase.com
Phone: 951 940 1324

Wow Nick, very impressive. Definitely great work by Apex. Thanks for your post.

Just curious, can you elaborate on how the original Vertigo WLO design fits into this picture. I guess that the Apex WLO 1 was an attempt at improving on the Vertigo WLOs?

Also, can the Apex WLOs be used on slider-down jumps? Considering one incident happened on Memorial Day, I presume it was Perrine, so possibly slider-down.

Thanks,

Jaap Suter

Version 2 is actually closer to the original Vertigo design, as far as the channel and the Velcro are concerned. The reason we had to redesign the toggles after the merge into Apex was to make them work with BR style risers. Vertigo WLO's were not compatible and we didn't want to produce 2 different types of risers. The WLO V2 toggles can be used for slider down jumps

The WLO V2 toggles can be used for slider down jumps.

Awesome, I think I'll have to get a pair. Thanks Jimmy!

Nick, in these two accidental WLO releases, was the velcro unpeeled or the pin just "slipped down"?

Apparently in the new V.2 design, the pin's eyelet is tucked by the rising toggle's grip, so it reduces the chance of the pin slipping down on opening shock.

However, how is it sensitive to a side blow? Quite often, the stiffened toggles have a tendency to lay on their sides when packed. If toggle hits the side flap on opening while oriented sideways, can the pin make its way out of its retainer?

It seems 1/2-3/4" longer pin wouldn't hurt...

P.S. Also, in V.2 - with the channel now in the top part - does the pin move at all when steering with toggles?

Thinking of this post and the new version often when checking my toggles i would notice that the pin had just barely slipped down and at the other end of the channel had slipped out a little. I couldn't push it further without a lot of force but it would slip a little. So i'm excited about picking up my new ones. Thanks for being awesome team apex.
late,
RJ$$
word to your mother,
RJ$$
BASE 1117

On the Apex web site, it says "For the next three months we will replace free of charge any earlier version of the WLO toggles."

Does that mean I can swap my Vertigo style pin stub WLO risers and toggles for the new V2 WLOs and toggles, free of charge?

Does that mean I can swap my Vertigo style pin stub WLO risers and toggles for the new V2 WLOs and toggles, free of charge?

Doubt it (there are no issues with them)....But even if you did you would have to buy new risers. V1 and V2 are not compatible with the old Vertigo Risers.

Coco

Yuri,
The pin will stay in place regardless of the position of the handle in the pack tray, I always turn my stiffened toggle handles towards the inside of the tray as opposed to the outside, turning them towards the outside tends to want to peel the toggle off the riser due to the sidewall of the container going straight up off the pack tray once it's closed. The pin is held in place by the Velcro, not the handle of the toggle. The main difference between the 2 versions is that in order for the pin to move at all with V2, the tab has to come out of the pocket and the Velcro has to COMPLETELY unpeel. The pin is held in place by the shear force of the Velcro. V1, the pin can move downward with a peeling of the Velcro. This is how we did it with the Vertigo version and we couldn't figure out a way to duplicate the same setup with the new toggles until now.
JP

The swap only applies to WLO V1 toggles, the problem doesn't exist with the Vertigo pin/snap version.
JP

Thank you, Tavarish! :)

For customers who are interested, we will have replacement V2 toggles at the World Freefall convention on July 26,27,28th and at Skydive Chicago's Summerfest on July 29,30,31st. For overseas customers, we will be on the full tour in Malaysia from August 9th to August 28th and will have V2's with us.
Thanks,
Jimmy P