Calvin19

Blown Pilot Chute Pictures

I havent blown one,

but anybody who has could you please explain and post a picture of the damage?

Just BASE specific PCs please.

This is in regards to the spoke pilot chute question

Calvin im not even sure if i know what a blown pilot chute is, and from the sound of it im not sure i want to find out. Can you elaborate on it is.

are there actually any documented cases of pc failure? s/l and pca's not included..

ComancheMan (B.C., Canada) might have a good photo to show you of a PC that was destroyed after being deployed through someones camera helmet :$:)

wow, how about the associated video as well? :o
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

I meant a pilotchute that has been damaged from actual deployment useage, as in the sail blows out and tears from a deployment.

I started this forum because i dont think it has ever happened, Ripstop is Extremely strong, especialy the stuff used for BASE pc's. and in the size of sail a 48" or smaller PC is useing, the total drag is probably a good distance away from the failure drag needed to blow one up.

I have used a 46" PC at terminal, seemed to work great, just hurt my neck a bit. anybody know of a PC destroyed from normal useage?

CH

I have had a tape blow out near the bridle-PC attachment point.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I think this only happens at line stretch so it is not that critical. I've been present in Norway when a jumper who planned on opening high, over delayed with an unreinforced large PC and blew it up but never noticed it until after landing. I had one on a skydive same result.
take care,
space

I once witnessed an inexperienced jumper slip on an icy exit point and snag the PC on railing, tearing the mesh. I think the jump was a planned freefall assist.

The rig owner stitched the mesh up and retired the PC some 50 jumps later, and then only because it was his birthday and we got him a quality-built replacement PC.:S

That replacement PC is a nice toy, though! B| Wish I had one like it.

Speaking of which, I think I still owe you $$$ for that thing. :(