gweeks

Low Static Line Technique

I've been thinking about a technique for low static line jumps that involves shortening the length of bridle between you and your tie off point but still allows for the benefit of a long bridle and pilot chute as back up. This method would also keep everything neatly arranged prior to exit.

1. Tie your bridle into a small loop about 2-3 feet from your pins or shrivel flap -- far enough away so you can still climb out. Taking a bite of bridle and tying an overhand knot should work.

2. Tie this loop to the attachment point with a small loop of break cord and a large loop of break cord.

3. S-fold the excess bridle and stow it loosely with a rubber band.

4. Tie the pilot chute attachment loop to the attachment point with another loop of break cord.

(see attached picture)

In theory this should work just like a well-executed PCA. As soon as you get line stretch you should break the first two loops of break cord. At bridle stretch you should break the final piece.

Has anyone tried this method yet? I'm wondering what effect the final piece of break cord would have on the opening. Any other coments?

Greg,

Do a search on carry with you static line.

It works like butter.

I like my break cords to be at the very end of the bridle, for many reasons.

I use three pieces: a short one and a longer one for the actual S/L and a 3rd one for the carry with you part.

I do s fold the bridle's slack and put a tail gate rubber band on it.

Honestly I would not put any knots on the bridle and 8 feet less of FF won't add anything, really.

Just my 0.02.
Memento Audere Semper

Instead of tying a loop you should bribe your local rigger (sewing machine addict) with beer and have him (or her) sew a small piece of 1/2" sqr weave to your bridle. When not in use you would not even notice, but it would be much better than tying a loop in your bridle. Very small and neat, but will do the job well. A small loop 1' from the end of the bridle would also probably be better than tying off with the end (it would get your PC away from the structure and tie off point).

Mostly, just buy some beer! :P

I'd be concerned about the launch being affected by 3rd break cord 7 feet higher than 2nd. You will be at line-stretch plus 7 feet of bridle when the 3rd break cord comes into play. I don't think this is a good thing.

I've watched experienced technical BASE jumpers (Neil Q, DTM and sabre210) do SL - they always used same 2 cord system. Also, have your SL 'sets' (short, long and bungy) tied together and ready. That way you don't have to fuck around on the exit point or ask a blue elephant for a bungy. This shit is dangerous don't try learn it off the internet.

What are you talking about? :S

All my bridles have a sewn in loop right below the PC attachment point.

I route all the 3 break cords through this same loop. Two are for the ACTUAL S/L (so if one fails there is a back-up). The third one is for the carry with you part. If everything works the third break cord does not break and pull the S/L around the object so you leave no trace. If the S/L gets trapped on the object, the 3rd cord breaks, you lose the S/L but no damage to the gear is done.

Again I do not like attaching anything on my bridle other than close to the PC attachment point.

Ask TowerTopper about his experience with the break cord few inches away from the bottom of the shrivel flap...
Memento Audere Semper

My response was to the original poster, apologies for not making this clear.

Hey Gweeks,

I have given this idea much thought myself and have infact used an overhand loop in the bridle closer to the pins/shrivel flap to effectively shorten the distance fallen before the canopy extraction begins on several occasions. What i haven't done is utilise the third piece of breakcord which controls the pilot chute and excess bridle beyond the loop. Contrary to what Nick said (and this isn't me having a go Nick so go easy on me), i think when you're getting into the sub 140ft static line arena, 8 feet would make a noticeable difference. It may not seem like a lot but if you were looking at say 120ft static line that is effectively a very large percentage of your total available altitude. 8 feet could be the difference between a fully pressurised flying canopy and a partially pressurised and plummeting one. It could mean the difference between flying over an obstacle or flying into it.

The Carry with you set up is a good setup but it doesn't solve the issue of having to fall the full length of the bridle before anything begins to happen.

Of course removing the full length bridle and pilot chute and replacing it with a specifically made shortened one simplifies the system even more, but then of course you don't have a pilot chute as backup, but then it could be argued you shouldn't be jumping so low if your tie off method isn't absolutely bombproof, but then you could argue that shit happens, but then you could argue how much the pc would save you anyway, but then.....etc etc etc

ian

ps. Will, thanks for the compliment but i'm really not.

Good points.

I thought too of making a 3' bridle with no PC...With two break cords not touching the object chances that things will go wrong are nil but then again that big 46" at the end is always cheep insurance. I just got to get over the psychological constraints.
Memento Audere Semper

but then again that big 46" at the end is always cheep insurance. I just got to get over the psychological constraints.

join the club.

ian

I'd be concerned about the launch being affected by 3rd break cord 7 feet higher than 2nd.

I would too. That's why I asked.

You will be at line-stretch plus 7 feet of bridle when the 3rd break cord comes into play. I don't think this is a good thing.

What makes you say that? How do you think it will affect the opening?

I've watched experienced technical BASE jumpers (Neil Q, DTM and sabre210) do SL - they always used same 2 cord system. Also, have your SL 'sets' (short, long and bungy) tied together and ready. That way you don't have to fuck around on the exit point or ask a blue elephant for a bungy.

Did they use a regular bridle attached at the pilot chute? a shortened bridle? a regular bridle attached closer to the pins? If so, what did they do with the excess bridle and pilot chute? What were the results?

This shit is dangerous

really?

don't try learn it off the internet.

I disagree. There is much to be learned here and elsewhere on the internet. There are highly experienced jumpers who read and post here. Plus thinking and chatting about this stuff is fun. Of course your primary sources of learning should be in person with experienced jumpers and application of techniques in controlled conditions.

I have given this idea much thought myself and have infact used an overhand loop in the bridle closer to the pins/shrivel flap to effectively shorten the distance fallen before the canopy extraction begins on several occasions. What i haven't done is utilise the third piece of breakcord which controls the pilot chute and excess bridle beyond the loop.

How were your openings with that set up? Was the excess bridle and pilot chute just hanging over the edge? Any trouble there?

Of course removing the full length bridle and pilot chute and replacing it with a specifically made shortened one simplifies the system even more, but then of course you don't have a pilot chute as backup, but then it could be argued you shouldn't be jumping so low if your tie off method isn't absolutely bombproof, but then you could argue that shit happens, but then you could argue how much the pc would save you anyway, but then.....etc etc etc

Ha! Sounds like what's been going on in my head.

> Honestly I would not put any knots on the bridle and 8 feet less of FF won't add anything, really.
Keep it for yourself, Nick!!! No offence!!!!!
There are fucking low sites where 1-1.5 m of height makes some difference, believe me!!!!!!! B|
In my latest very low SL jump, I made a loop in my bridle at the closest (to pin) point possible (still, it had to be compatible with myself standing up) B|
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

Then you should keep for yourself your set up as well ;)

Honestly if 8' does make a difference then not having a 46" anchor will make a greater difference and maybe the 3' bridle with no PC might be the better option than a knot on a bridle.

By the way, If I am that low I'd rather d-bag: faster than the best S/L or PCA, no anchor, and great heading. So what if it's old school >:(
Memento Audere Semper

What makes you say that? How do you think it will affect the opening?

I'd be more concerned about the 3rd (delayed) cord affecting body position. If the object, say a very low span allows you to just step off then fine but if a good hard launch is required then I wouldn't be happy about that 3rd SL which will come into effect almost 1 second into the jump. Would be nice to have a span to test on. Get some video from side and make comparisons. :)

I'd be more concerned about the 3rd (delayed) cord affecting body position. If the object, say a very low span allows you to just step off then fine but if a good hard launch is required then I wouldn't be happy about that 3rd SL which will come into effect almost 1 second into the jump. Would be nice to have a span to test on. Get some video from side and make comparisons. :)

Good point. I was thinking that the yank from the 3rd break cord could possibly affect your heading because the canopy would already be in the process of inflating, but I could see how your body position could also be affected.

> and maybe the 3' bridle with no PC might be the better option than a knot on a bridle
Well. When I know that I am going to do a SL jump, I rig my gear with my Special Bridle, which is nothing else than a 5.5mm-0.22" - 2.74m-9' dyneema rope, with sewn end loops, finger trapped curved pin and a "permanent" knot 30 cm - 1' close to PC attachment; but, being my Special Bridle a dyneema rope, whenever/wherever necessary I make an additional 8 knot and there I tie my CWY (Carry With You) with break cord and whatever else needed.
For low SL jumps, as well as for ANY SL jump, I keep my trusted 48" "special" PC (it's special because it's a ZP PC built on the Asylum shape, it's actual 48" and has got NO vent on apex).

> By the way, If I am that low I'd rather d-bag: faster than the best S/L or PCA, no anchor, and great heading. So what if it's old school
No problem, in fact. When it's extremely low, we do to use DB. But, in this case, there would the necessity of having one asshol.... ehhmmm... one bloke ;) who is NOT jumping and who holds the DB. Done few times, but if all the blokes in the load are jumping, here we go with SL.
Or, a "fast procedure" is what we did once off a 51 m - 167 ft water tower. We were 5. #726 did PCA to the first three; I PCAed #726, while I had already setup my SL, and last (but not least B| ) off I came down SLing B|
Stay safe out there

In very low jumps, i prefer to self PCA rather than s/l or d-bag. It's easy to config and is simplicity itself.

You take your pilot chute and grasp it in your right hand. Raise your right hand as high up and as far behind you as possible. Launch head high and agressively. Wait till the PC is ripped out your hand by the deploying canopy then let go.

Best to try this from higher altitudes first though, preferably over 500ft. If after 2 second you don't feel the canopy deploying, then it means you may have dropped the PCA too early and are now in freefall. Immediately release the PC to salvage the jump and do not, repeat, do not trust yourself to do this to yourself on lower jumps.

Have fun

ian

> You take your pilot chute and grasp it in your right hand. Raise your right hand as high up and as far behind you as possible. Launch head high and agressively. Wait till the PC is ripped out your hand by the deploying canopy then let go.
————————————————————————————
Sorry. I didn't understand how the whole thing is rigged up.
Who/what is going to get the parachute out off the container, if you hold the PC?!?!? Is there a SL with a break cord "somewhere"?
Stay safe out there

In very low jumps, i prefer to self PCA rather than s/l or d-bag. It's easy to config and is simplicity itself.

You take your pilot chute and grasp it in your right hand. Raise your right hand as high up and as far behind you as possible. Launch head high and agressively. Wait till the PC is ripped out your hand by the deploying canopy then let go.

Best to try this from higher altitudes first though, preferably over 500ft. If after 2 second you don't feel the canopy deploying, then it means you may have dropped the PCA too early and are now in freefall. Immediately release the PC to salvage the jump and do not, repeat, do not trust yourself to do this to yourself on lower jumps.

Have fun

ian

Did I just read that or did someone slip LSD in my coffee? :S;)

Ian...I'm struggling to visualise what you are describing.....could you put it in a bit more detail?
if you launch with your hand held high...doesnt that hand 'descend' with the rest of your body..? how is the canopy extracted?

Sorry ...prob being stupid , I just cant see how it works..:|

Edited to add:.....err...got sucked in on that one...:$

if you launch with your hand held high...doesnt that hand 'descend' with the rest of your body..?[/reply ]

Surprisingly no, well not as fast as the body. You see you're holding a pilot chute and this combined with your spread fingers creates drag which slows the hand down compared to the body.

The key is, once you reach line stretch, let go of the pilot chute fast.

;)

Ian,

When I told you about this special technique I asked you not to reveal it to anyone and now you put it on a public forum!

You are a bad dogie!
Memento Audere Semper

How low are we talking about here?... We have a 150' site over solid ground that has had numerous S/L's off of it as well as a few tards with no problem. The S/L's were done using a single piece of brake cord tied to the end of the bridle with the access rubberbanded. I'd rather not complicate things with 3 pieces of brake cord. Personally I tard it since they open higher. Have fun, don't die.

Surprisingly no, well not as fast as the body. You see you're holding a pilot chute and this combined with your spread fingers creates drag which slows the hand down compared to the body.

The key is, once you reach line stretch, let go of the pilot chute fast.

Yeah yeah yeah....dont rub it in.....you got me already....:D