cpoxon

Oregon National Guardsman Shoots For World Record In Idaho

Schilling began his quest a few minutes after 8 p.m. Friday with the usual BASE jumper mantra, “3-2-1 see ya!” before disappearing underneath the 1,500-foot span.

1,500 foot span!? really!? where!?
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

They must have meant width.

Oh. Right. :$
-Ghetto
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

okay, if it's not height, nor width,
i guess you meant length
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

d'oh :S
-Ghetto
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

The word is that Dan made 201 jumps in about 22 hours.

Nice job, Dan and crew.

So, one story I read appears to say the final 15 hours we was jumping, he was doing so with a broken arm. Seattle Times Article

Does anyone know how that worked out for him?

I know I'm not tough compared to lots of other people, particularly military people. But 15 hours, and probably over 100 base jumps in that time, with one broken arm? Does this guy sprinkle a box of Federal .45 ACP onto his daily bowl of wheaties? B|

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Congratulations. Perhaps I might have overlooked it, but is there a place where a BASE jumper can donate to his cause?
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

This is a link to the site of the organization he was jumping for.

http://www.specialops.org/
Skydiving is borring!!

As one of Dan’s many sponsors we at Apex BASE would like to add our congratulations to those of others and recognize Dan on a super achievement for a good cause.

Well Done . . .

The Apex Team
Todd, Jimmy, Marta, Nick & Everyone at Apex BASE :)

I want to give a huge shout-out to all the packers!!! He needed a packed rig every 6-7 minutes for 22 hours, that ain't no hay. I am always shocked and proud of the selflessness put forth by BASE jumpers.

Also, I'd like to thank all the other support staff that got us food and water - you all rock! And everyone that did the jobs that nobody else wanted like standing at the exit point to make sure Dan didn't have a bridle around his head at 2am. And the guy that wrote down the exact time he landed, all 201 times!

And a huge team-effort. How about JT swimming 300 yards against the current to drag Tom A's canopy to safety at 2 in the morning.

This was a fun event. Nice job folks.

See ya.
Be Safe.
-Bill

As of this time the article is on www.cnn.com frontpage. it's a dynamic link to a video of few jumps and some interviews of locals. Pretty cool stuff.

http://www.magicvalley.com/articles/2006/08/04/news_localstate/news_local_state.3.txt

BASE jumper raised at least $30,000 for foundation
By Nate Poppino
Times-News writer

TWIN FALLS — Dan Schilling is satisfied.

Sure, he probably didn’t raise the $100,000 he wanted for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, but he still raised quite a bit — $30,000 at the least — and got the foundation’s name in the news by jumping 201 times in 21 hours on July 7 and 8.

And that’s good enough.

“That might have been a bit lofty,” he said of his original goal. “I don’t think we’ll ever get a total. A lot of things floated into the Web site.”

The money from the stunt, in which Schilling was hauled up by a crane perched on the bridge after each jump, will pay college tuition for the children of Special Forces members killed in action or in training. Along with the money, the jumps set a world record that Schilling is now trying to verify with Guinness World Records Ltd.

At the moment, he’s pulling his records together to send to the company.

“Before I send off all the witness statements and logbook, I want to make sure they don’t need something else,” he said.

The quest for the record helped him get the foundation’s name out, but he said he still didn’t get the national press he was looking for. This despite appearing on eight or 10 radio shows, in an Associated Press article and on CNN and ESPN.

“I was on a Fox show during the daytime,” he said. “That worked out OK, but it’s middle-of-the-day news.”

He’s recovered from his injuries, including a hairline fracture in his wrist and various lacerations, and will go on a HALO (high altitude, low opening) jump in a week. But he doesn’t plan to ever jump 201 times again.

“It was well worth it,” he said. “I won’t ever do it again, but I’m glad I did.”