Bazair2air

Do Not Throw Rocks From The Bridge!

How about some fun stuff?

The sign clearly reads “Rocks”. Nobody said anything about humans :D

That was funny as hell dmcoco84.

He actually pulls off a nice gainer after the toss also.

Have Fun!
Baz

That was funny as hell dmcoco84.

He actually pulls off a nice gainer after the toss also.

LOL, I remember that one... come on David, post the video so we can see how good you look! :):P

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

OMG that was a hilarious jump!!!! ummmmm "nice gainer"? Come on now...that shit was ugly as hell. We under prepped that jump and I pushed off too early so I had too much forward momentum. I had to flail like a bitch to get that gainer to go over. It was a blast though.

Haha yea I know you liked that one Brit. I’ll load it up right now. It will be under the name my buddy josh gave it, “the retard jump.” I'll put one of my double reverses up too so you get the best and worse my TF jumps. :D

Coco

Nice! Thanks for the vid, that’s a riot!

I wish you could have seen the look on my wife’s face when they hucked you over the edge. It was Priceless!

Have Fun!
Baz

P.S. This sign is posted near the stairwell. We must of missed it. :D

That was rather um... athletic
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Nice work dude! :S

That was some quality flailing right there.

I really like how you’ve ignored all the times previously that people have suggested maybe you should slow down a little before you hurt yourself.

If you are going to jump in stupidly windy conditions please learn to handle your canopy on the ground – it’s embarrassing to other basejumpers when you are dragged around the landing area or spend an eternity wrestling around your canopy in the wind after landing. Makes the spectators think we are no-skill yahoos.

Your single gainer was nice.

Your double was too until you pulled early. Keep doing that and you will bounce your pilot chute off your foot at some point if you’re lucky, if you’re unlucky you will get it entangled on you somewhere.

Also, keep jumping in skate shoes from wet exit points and sooner or later you will slip on launch. That will be very exciting when it happens.

I’m also curious as to why you would bother wearing a helmet that provides practically no real impact protection?

You certainly gave that video clip an apt name, too bad it applied to 2 of the 3 jumps on there…

I would have been nice, but so many people have been nice on here with you before that I’m not gonna bother.

Cya

Hopefully…

Sam,

You are such a killjoy!
He is clearly taking safety seriously he's wearing shades afterall. Have you any idea how harmful UV rays are!! ;)

Looks to me that he has watched Jebs videos too much.

C-ya

Listen to Sam,

That double came really close to being a bridle wrap around your leg. You can't open up like that before or during your pitch, and especially don't throw your legs out violently. Its fine to pitch out of a rotation, lots of people do and on some stuff it is a necessity. However you need to time your pitch so that its pitch, bridle extension, then open up and prepare for opening. Yes, I realize that entire sequence happens in .1 of a second. Thats why you have to take your time and get used to it, and not try to do everything you've seen on a video all in one weekend.

Had that pc gone through your legs, you would have still likely opened, but it would have been at 4 seconds on your side. OUCH! Take the time to dial in the basics, all that playing around will be there in a while....and you will too.

cya

Hey Tree

I don’t understand why you should not open up (to slow your rotation and get your legs straight behind you in case you pitch while still vertical) before you pitch??

I think we all agree that you have an angle window of about 180 degrees from head down vertical to head up vertical for the safest pitch.

Pitching in the rotation, especially on multiple/fast rotations makes this angle window a small time window.

Opening up during your last rotation will slow your rotational speed and make the time window bigger and therefore easier to hit accurately.

I do not see any drawbacks (other than making your delay longer) to opening up on your last rotation and straightening your legs, as long as they are straight and you have rotated past head down vertical before you pitch.

Please share your reasoning as to why this is not good?

Coco – I am not pretending like I am the flawless aerialist here, far from it, I realize how shitty it feels to be upside down in the rotation and feel your pilot chute bounce off your foot, because I have done that (and was lucky enough to get away with it). I just want you to think about these things as I have seen them injure very experienced jumpers. Did you try going flat and stable while getting thrown over the side first? I somehow doubt you did. Also, there are more effective ways to get a rotation started from a normal forward launch than what you did. Maybe you should have learned those first by launching out far and then turning a gainer.

Keeping the legs together rather than spreading them as shown in the video is what Tree is referring to.

Tim has it right, but I would add that if one is going to perform aerials, it is a good idea to learn how to pitch out of the aerial because you will eventually need to for one reason or another. This is especially true on shorter objects, including perrine to preserve altitude. Pitching a pc upside down with your legs hanging out all over is a bad idea for obvious reasons. A good gainer, double, etc at perrine will almost always pitch out of the tuck (there is seldom time there to stop the rotation and continue much freefall), then open up imediately to slow/stop the rotation, the end result being a jumper in a nice position for opening. Pitch too early and risk entanglement, too late and you overotate prior to opening.

For sure if you do enough flips, eventually you will bounce your pc off your foot or lower leg (especially if you stay up all night ). It would, however be wise for novice jumpers and burgeoning young aerialists to start with the right ideas. Get your pc and bridle clear before you stick limbs in the way. :)

If you are going to jump in stupidly windy conditions please learn to handle your canopy on the ground – it’s embarrassing to other basejumpers when you are dragged around the landing area or spend an eternity wrestling around your canopy in the wind after landing. Makes the spectators think we are no-skill yahoos.

Well I do apologize if it puts off that perception but the main cause to that was I couldn’t stop laughing at myself once I touched down. I guess because I was laughing so much I found it so difficult to control my canopy. My bad!

Your single gainer was nice.

Thank you. I did a flat and stable 3 second delay from 600 from one of my local A’s the day before I came out and then I did 3 singles from the bridge before the double.

Your double was too until you pulled early. Keep doing that and you will bounce your pilot chute off your foot at some point if you’re lucky, if you’re unlucky you will get it entangled on you somewhere.

Oh I definitely agree! All of my aerials are done from 900 or 1150 so up until now I would simply come out of the flip into a track and would track until deployment. After my 3 singles I decided I wanted to give the double a try. I’ve been talking with someone through pm’s who has much more training and experience with aerials then myself and most of what has been said here technique wise he advised me on also after seeing the video. I definitely have a lot to work on in cleaning up my aerials. I seem to have pretty good constancy with my doubles from 900 so I felt I should be ok doing one from the bridge (good rotation speed without over/under rotations). At the least it would be much smarter to do so on an S and not an A. I’ve seen a few videos of people doing them at TF and ended up over/under rotating which created off headings and line twists. I’d rather have that on an S than an A.

Also, keep jumping in skate shoes from wet exit points and sooner or later you will slip on launch. That will be very exciting when it happens.

You’re right on that one too! I was going to purchase a pair of Hanwags while I was out there but changed my mind. A few peoples comments about them turned me away along with the bright blue color. Someone made a good point that they are not very inconspicuous. Also there was a comment about difficulty in running out fast landings with them. But I did just purchased a pair of hiking boots from Columbia Sportswear. Waterproof, darker color and decent ankle protection. So I got that covered.

I’m also curious as to why you would bother wearing a helmet that provides practically no real impact protection?

Yes skydiving full face helmets don’t do much but it’s definitely better than nothing. I did purchase a snowboarding helmet (Boeri Tactic) but I didn’t like it very much. I jumped it a handful of times and it wasn’t comfortable so I started wearing my old full face. At the least if I had a bad landing and smacked my head on the ground or on a rock it would help a little. But yea major impact it won’t do much.

I would have been nice, but so many people have been nice on here with you before that I’m not gonna bother.

Np bro, I’ve got thick skin I don’t mind.

And like you said your not a flawless aerialist. We all start somewhere and no one is going to do them perfectly starting out. I've spent time in a gym (and will be doing much more), very closely watched video's of others who have excellent technique, and spoken with those who know what thy are doing. There really isn't much more you can do to prepare yourself other than doing it (starting off on higher objects as I have done) and learning as you go. Just like in skydiving, I was flying nine way head down last summer but a few hundred jumps before I was lucky if I could dock. Just takes practice, debriefing and more training.

Tree – Got it! Thanks. Yes I do need to keep my legs together. That will come with more work in the gym. Also working on getting some harness training going. That will help drastically.

Coco

P.S. Thank you tree and everyone else for the advice and analysis of my jump. I appreciate the constructive criticism and it will definitely aid in my progression.

which sice is your bori? i might want to buy it from you,take it to PM,if its for sale:P

Good skills taking the critiqe as a learnning lesson rather than bash,i didnt make my first arial so far and the analys told me alot alreadyB|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Nice work dude! :S

I saw people slip over the weekend in hiking boots on multiple occasions.. They have no more traction on wet plywood or most other surfaces, than skate shoes, maybe less because of the harder rubber that is used to make them.

Pushing off the flat surface is asking to slip. Hang the toes over like a good BASE jumper and push off the edge. Boots have tread so if the toes are hung well over the edge they are superior to deck shoes.

Coco,
based on the length of your response, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that you have begun your BASE career caring entirely too much whether or not the internet people approve of you.

Keep up the BASE jumping, but stop the caring before it kills you.

You'll ignore my advice and become one of "them" I have no doubt.

-jimmy

if there is hope for me... then coco can be helpedalso... leave no man behind!
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

So let me get this right: all your previous aerials were from 876 ft and above (slider up, I assume?), then 3 single gainers (all slider off?, all laid out?), from 486 ft and that is the point you felt ready to throw a double from 486ft?

I’m curious as to where the ‘retard-jump’ fit into this well planned progression?

Hey Jimmy,

I see you've freed up some time to post more of your sharp witted banter. Can we assume that means that there is a young homeless girl wondering around Lodi now? :S