base736

Back with the living

After two weeks in hospital, I'm on to the long, tough bit. :)
I wish I could keep this all positive, but I've got to say something more... The day before I hit the water, I watched as a jumper left the bridge with a helicopter in the landing area, blades spinning. My understanding is that the same happened while medics were pulling me out of the canyon. I can only say that it sickens me to think that, while these folks are saving my -- or anybody's -- life (and, without exaggeration, I am alive today because of the speed and skill with which the medics responded), somebody on the bridge could be so inconsiderate as to complicate matters for the pilots by jumping. You may know that you can land well away from them -- they don't.

If I could make one request, from one jumper to another... Please wait until the helicopter is clear before jumping, without exception. These people deserve all the respect in the world.

Edit to add: To all those who wouldn't think of jumping in that situation, thank you for bearing with me while I rant.

Glad to hear you are doing good..........

B|:P:)

here's to a speeding recover.............

=================================
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

Opening:None.

good to see you didnt break your humourous.

-am
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Glad your out of the hospital, if you need anything don't hesitate to ask.
Your neighbors to the South,
Alan

Whenever I get hurt, I take the plastic hospital wrist band and tape it to the page of my log book for that jump. It's a good reminder when you flip through the pages.

Do you still have yours?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

good point. Nice to hear from you. was great meeting you. thanks for all your help in TF. glad you're getting well.
cheers
g

Jason,

Glad you're back! The road to recovery can be fun too, in a masochistic way! Keep yourself positive and soon enough you'll be in the air again.

Here is a pic for ya.

edit to remove copyrighted material ~TA
Memento Audere Semper

here's the pic before nick photoshoped it...

-am

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Good to hear from you...

Have you checked on your pin rig fund? Don't let Nick go and blow all that money we're sending him. I'll call you later.

I was writing the whole incident down yesterday and can't believe your still with us after what happened. Makes you appreciate how close the edge is even off a seemingly simple bridge.

Tony

>>The day before I hit the water, I watched as a jumper left the bridge with a helicopter in the landing area, blades spinning.<<

Hi Jason,

That would be me - Guilty as charged . . .

I was on the bridge when the helicopter arrived. He landed up by the wind flag and I watched as the injured jumper was attended to by medical personal. A few times it looked as if they were about to move her and I was ready to stand down until they departed.

After some time and no movement on the ground I made a decision based on my ability and experience.

I’ve landed around “spinning blades” many times in the past, at drop zones, at air shows, and in the Marine Corps I’ve even landed round parachutes near turning helicopters. Was it wise? Was it disrespectful? I don’t know, I’m human like the rest of you. Did it cause any practical problems – None that I saw or heard about . . . And if it did, and I mean outside the BASE community, I’m ready to write a letter of apology to whomever that is.

The injured jumper, it was later decided, is put into the boat for transport and the helicopter flew out over my head about 10 minutes after I landed. As it passed the pilot gave me a big thumbs up out his window. Maybe that was the first BASE jump he’d seen up close. He didn’t seem to have any heartburn over it – so maybe you shouldn’t either.

Sure, in hindsight I might have waited - and yes, I could have had a heart attack or stroke right after launching. But I was slider up and even after opening, had something disabled me, I wouldn’t have reached the area where the helicopter was sitting.

As an aside, and just because you mentioned it - I don’t consider policemen, firemen, or paramedics for automatic hero worship like is so much the fashion today. I have respect for them, but I think in BASE we need to get our priorities in order – and the first one is to look out for and value ourselves.

And if my jump was the event that “sickened” you – then you weren’t paying attention to the real carnage going on . . . The state of the art appeared to be in pretty sad shape overall, or at least it was that week. And since I too have been in BASE plaster up to my chest nipples for year - I’ll wish you a very speedy recovery, Brother . . .

And if you don’t remember me - shortly before your jump I’m the fellow who measured you with, and without your body armor on to get some updated numbers for rig manufacturing, and I really appreciated you taking the time to do that . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Nick,

No need to play the persecuted guy here.

I have no doubt that there was nil chance of you interfering with the Chopper. Perhaps the chopper pilot and crew thought that seeing you jump was totally rad. but they would have had no idea who was jumping or what their experience was, it could have been another shmuck that was going to pound in anywhere - like had been happening all week.

The busted up dude has a point. I think it would be a good idea in future for jumpers to wait until the chopper has left the scene before re-commencing jumping. It's not much to ask.

Perhaps not all chopper pilots are as cool at this guy, perhaps some of them would become a little uneasy by parachutes in the air 'near' them. Let's cut them some slack, it could be me or you that they are saving next time.

Not bad mouthing people who jumped while EMT's were in the landing area, but...

My concern with jumping while paramedics are attending to another person is the delay in getting someone to you. Normally not a problem, but you look at what happened on Monday and you can see the concern.

Jumper down helicopter flown in and ambulance brought in with Sherrif or Deputy

I was third off when the helicopter leaves empty, land, look up a guy flare's ten feet off the ground breaks leg and arm. I call 911 Ambulance is still enroute to hospital so they have to send another. We call of the helicopter due to extent of injuries.

EMT arrives and sherrif and I start walking to his boat and I look up to see Shannon's jump. I yell at the Sheriff to call the helicopter and one of the EMT's assisting with the broken bones hustle's to the river. Shannon is rushed to the ambulance in hope...

I go back to the broken boned jumper and jumpers are standing around helping the EMT's "Hand me this colored thing out of that colored bag" and so forth...

The Sheriff finally called the bridge and asked that jumping be stopped due to being under staffed. If Jason would have been the one who just hit the water who knows how it would have turned out, hopefully as good as it did, but there were three EMT's assisting with Jason and Jason was there only concern.

Do I think you endangered yourself or others? NO! Because chances are you weren't going to get hurt and need any assistance. (I jokingly asked you if you swooped the helicopter at Woody's that night.)

But it could have made a difficult situation even more difficult and we clearly made the Emergency staff in Twin work for every penny we donated to them that weekend.

Have you checked on your pin rig fund? Don't let Nick go and blow all that money we're sending him. I'll call you later

Sure, the BASE community might be tight but they are sure bunch of cheap bastards! So far I got squat! Not a penny!

Here is the link slackers!

http://www.skydiveems.com/NitroRigging/jason.htm
Memento Audere Semper

Anyone can see that's been retouched Abbie. Here's the original before Nick doctored it

I’ve landed around “spinning blades” many times in the past, at drop zones, at air shows, and in the Marine Corps I’ve even landed round parachutes near turning helicopters.

The issue isn't whether or not we as jumpers are capable of making the jump safely with a helicopter in the landing area. Next time you're driving through a controlled intersection, think how secure you'd feel if you thought there was a real possibility that someone waiting at the red light would try to dart through a gap in the traffic.

As an aside, and just because you mentioned it - I don’t consider policemen, firemen, or paramedics for automatic hero worship like is so much the fashion today. I have respect for them, but I think in BASE we need to get our priorities in order – and the first one is to look out for and value ourselves.

That's the problem. In some cases, individuals pursuing what is best for themselves will result in a situation which is considerably less than optimal on the whole. In general I place great value on individual freedoms. But for the few minutes it takes to care for an injured jumper, I think we can put some of those freedoms on hold so that the medics can work more efficiently.

Nobody's worshiping them as heros. But with a little consideration we can help them get their job done more efficiently.

Michael

Nobody's worshiping them as heros. But with a little consideration we can help them get their job done more efficiently.

Michael

Quite.

They're doing an stressful and variable job. They need to make quick, accurate assessments and then act promptly, doing their level best to focus on the job in hand.

Any distraction takes away from the focussed treatment of your fellow jumper. Most whuffos can't help being distracted by seeing someone jump, it's quite unusual the first time you see it apparently.

This didn't always hold true during that weekend, but my rational is that a helicopter is there because of a serious injury. What's more, if the pilots are worried about jumpers, it must delay or interrupt their flight plans.

During one of the Memorial weekend days I think I must have waited three times for a helicopter to clear the landing area.

Don't worry, I reckon I still did 8 jumps that day; I'm not in a rush. Neither am I that important.

As an aside, and just because you mentioned it - I don’t consider policemen, firemen, or paramedics for automatic hero worship like is so much the fashion today. I have respect for them,

firemen and paramedics ARE 98% heroes. you are a fucking cock. i dont care how long youve jumped or you many years you have on me in this lifetime.

but I think in BASE we need to get our priorities in order – and the first one is to look out for and value ourselves.

thats horibbly selfish to say. and there is no "we". we (every freakin jumper) arent brothers, nor do we share anything unique other than an interest in a particular sport. we all have an interest in keeping that sport alive but there is nothing special about any one of us that makes us elite or above common courtesy.

And if my jump was the event that “sickened” you – then you weren’t paying attention to the real carnage going on . . . The state of the art appeared to be in pretty sad shape overall

you cunt, rescue helicopters arent free. im sure when you were fucked up in the hosptial you were complaining about the equipment and telling medical staff they are just serving french fries.

Brother . . .

dont pull that bullshit card on anyone, i already explained above... we're not the stonecutters. this aint a religion.

smoke some dope and screw up some more measurments.

maybe i can be banned for more than 14 days this time.

ps- fuck you.

-am
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Wow, this post from Nick is really inconsistent with many years of postings that provoke thought in so many directions...and perhaps that is what is going on here because this posting is showing "frustration in solitude" as opposed to "inspiration in solitude" which is what I have observed and enjoyed in the past postings. Perhaps there is more below the surface that is not being shared by Nick, otherwise I am quite surprised by what is written because it makes no sense to not be cautious and caring for fellow jumpers by allowing a process that is designed to help people and yield as much hope for an outcome that is favorable to almost all but the Grim Reaper. Perhaps Nick has been affected by the many negative emails he receives about his list and is infact is subconciously exploring those selfish thoughts that he receives for his efforts.

It's a crazy world but what WE all enjoy so much is IRONY so let's wait and see what the universe will deliver to such a meesage if in fact it is actually genuine expression.

kris

good to see your out of hospital and didn't get a high speed enema

Okay, Abbie,

You can disagree with me, like others have in a civil way, but where’s all the hate and venom coming from . . . ?

I call other jumpers “brother” because that’s how BASE always seemed to me. But, maybe you’re right and it’s time to drop it. Since about the year 2000, or so, we are getting further and further away from that ideal and I think I’ve been in denial about it.

And I’m secure knowing that I’ve helped enough people in this sport, both inside the gear industry and outside of it, that your statement I took some measurements down wrong didn’t hurt me like you intended . . .

Nobody likes being second guessed, and maybe I said some things in that first post I shouldn’t have – But, I’ll take my turn in the barrel, I mean, everyone finds themselves in the BASE doghouse once in a while. And there’s a lot of company in here.

The saddest part is - it used to be us against them – and now it’s becoming us against us.

NickD :)BASE 194

where’s all the hate and venom coming from . . .

It's the way people are these days... I see it in my kid's.."and they can thank god" that they are step kid's..other wise they would be a bit more respectfull of others... or crippled... "brother always was used as a word to express " a small understanding of respect, and friendship. We have lost that in the past years. Don't be in denile, just surround yourself with people who think like you do or just don't really care what you think.....they just like hanging out with you...;)

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Ditch that reserve son, we'll be jumping low.

Isn't that a quote from Sergeant "Bull" Randleman from "Band of BROTHERS"???;)