TomAiello

Temporary Closure: Twin Falls, Idaho

The Twin Falls County Sheriff has asked BASE jumpers not to jump from the Perrine Bridge tomorrow, Wednesday 6/14/06.

The road to Centennial Park (the boat dock) is closed for road construction (it is being widened, so explosives are in use). Today, we had a very minor accident (a first jump student with a broken ankle) that had to be helicoptered out of the canyon because it is impossible to get a car to the bottom, or a boat to the landing area (even for the Sheriff's office).

As a result, the Sheriff's office has asked that jumping stop until the road is reopened, which is expected to happen late tomorrow. I will verify when the road is re-opened, and post that info here.

Thanks for helping us to stay on good terms with the Sheriff by respecting this request.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Thanks for posting this Tom. Is it worth putting a notice in the middle of the bridge for those that don't visit the forums between now and tomorrow?

Today, we had a very minor accident (a first jump student with a broken ankle)

With all due respect to whomever involved, but since when is a broken ankle a minor accident? Can you elaborate? You have to try pretty hard to break an ankle at the Perrine.

Thanks for posting this Tom. Is it worth putting a notice in the middle of the bridge for those that don't visit the forums between now and tomorrow?

Yes. Jimmy and I already decided to do that. I've got several little signs printed out, but right now we've got winds gusting 30-50, so I'll wait until they die down a little before I try to make a sign stay up there. Plus, I think it's extremely unlikely anyone is going to try to make a jump in this. I've called the local jumpers, and I think I've talked to everyone in from out of town, plus a couple others who are arriving tonight.

If anyone knows of anyone else who's going to be here tomorrow, I'd appreciate if you could spread the word.

With all due respect to whomever involved, but since when is a broken ankle a minor accident? Can you elaborate? You have to try pretty hard to break an ankle at the Perrine.

It was pretty much just a random bad landing. I wasn't there, so I can't really say more than that. It wasn't my student (it wasn't an Apex student either, if anyone is wondering), and I didn't see the incident.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I talked to the Sheriff's office today, and they said that the road is still closed, and that they expect it to re-open sometime tomorrow. Construction, as always, is taking longer than expected. They'd like us to hold off jumping until the road is open.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I was there at the bottom and saw the landing. It was not a hard landing at all, he just twisted the ankle and it broke.
If you never fall down you aren't trying hard enough.

As of 90 minutes ago, no.

The official word from the Sheriff's office is "wait until the road to Centennial Park is open."

I drove down there and checked, and they were still hauling rocks out of there about an hour and a half ago. They were supposed to be done yesterday, but then again, it is a public works project, so who knows?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com