dglangstraat

Motion Sensors

Anyone have any good pics of what a typical motion sensor looks like? They are doing some work on one of our regular haunts and there was a small white cone added near the ladder. Just wondering. Thanks.

I flipped thru the first 10 pages or so and didn't see anything that looked like what we saw. I think we're ok, but if anyone had a picture of one that they've seen installed on an A, it'd give me a warm fuzzy the next time we go (assuming the picture doesn't look like what we saw).

Also, is there a general school of thought if motion sensors get wired to the authorities, or just to an audible alarm to scare the yahoos away? We had a run in with a motion sensor last summer on an A in an urban setting. It set of a local audible alarm and so we obviously took off. Later we were wondering if the alarm actually gets reported to the black & whites, or if it just sets off the audible alarm. Any input would be appreciated.

I bet that was entertaining hearing an alarm go off.

Nate, Bk and Fluffy had that happen here and Fluffy was so scared he pooped his pants. We have him cleaning his trousers on video.

Glad to see you were more in control.

Take a photo and PM me... I will be able to tell. Don't ask how I know.;)

5 Bucks says it is a GPS antenna, I will send you some pics tomorrow of different types.
Alan

I ran into a motion sensor a few years ago with 587 on a local A. We had climbed a 10-foot fence and were getting geared up next to the building when we noticed an audible alarm inside. Looked up and there was the typical sort of white box mounted on the building, pointed at the A. We were back over the fence in a flash. We sat in the car for a while to see if anyone showed up, but nobody did. By that time the day was wearing on, so we headed to a nearby S.

Still, if I ran into one of these things again, I'd probably do the same thing. I don't really want to stick around to find out they sometimes do alert security.

Michael

Motion sensors can be set off by animals, particularly birds, as well as rain. With enough false alarms, the cops just won't bother showing up. The only problem is if an alarm is set off and cameras turn on. At night, no one can see you on the tower. Just park far enough way.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I think its a auto-target system for a High power Laser against intruders :P

....and yes, i have seen too many star trek vids. ;)

Cheers

I'm with John Doe, I bet GPS also. GPS is used for timing. They know where their sites are.

I went to check out an 800' A last night on city outskirts with my crew. It was getting dark and as we approached, the maintenance building's lights went on. We were next to the fence of the A to observe it and about 3-5 mins later, a security van came around the building to where we were so we ran to hide in the bushes and waited out for the van to leave. It wasn't a regular security check up since the van came out aggressively.

We definately set off motion detectors which may have flagged the onsite security officer. Since these detectors can detect any wildlife, I'm sure the officer(s) came after they saw us on the closed circuit camera(s). The road is fenced off and there is a facility near by, so it is my conclusion that there's 24 hr security on site. I was surprised since the A didn't look any more spectacular than other A's when it comes to security.

On a side note, there was great landing areas and nice take off platforms at various heights.

the ground IS the limit

GPS is used for timing. They know where their sites are.

Now it makes sense! I was wondering why the hell they'd want a GPS antenna on a fixed object :S.

THe GPS provides the timing to the cell sites so that they can have a precise handoff between sites to the mobile unit(Cell Phone ) so you dont have a dropped call every time or a big delay.Some cellular technology uses timing supplied from the providers switch pumped in over the copper/fiber T1 to do the exact same thing hence some cell sites do not have GPS. T-Mobile GSM is one case though now they have been adding antennas for E911 triangular fix on mobile units.
Blah Blah Blah
A

most motion detectors are low output x band radar..

a cheap radar detector will tell you if they are present and active..