idahojohn

From the bridge, next to her fiance' here's what i saw...

We (myself and family) were enjoying watching all the jumps from the overlook on the south side of the canyon. The excitement made some of us want to go right up on the bridge and witness the jumps more from the jumpers perspective. We arrived near the platform just after the last jumper went. We expected more so we waited. 2 more male jumpers came and looked eager to jump and were preparing to do so when she (shannon) and her fiance' (at the time I assumed husband) came behind us as we were discussing the fallen jumper being attended to below. I turned around as she(shannon) asked if we saw what happened. As I described what I had saw, she seemed to understand the problem with agreement. I turned again to mention that they were crazy ( I feel bad saying that now). There was no response. As She climbed over the rail I noticed her shin gards and thinking she was prepared. I was surprised that there was no final, what i would call "equipment check" prior to jumping. She turned around, kissed her fiance', they mentioned something to each other that i didnt hear, and as she stepped closer to the edge, he (her fiance') prepared to videotape the jump and as he did so, she showed the peace sign(2 fingers) and without much hesitation she jumped.
She stretched out her arms ahead of her and seemed very in control. I am going to say that within 1 1/2 to 2 seconds she reached back with her right hand and attempted to pull her chute(i know you have more technical terms) . At that moment I saw her arms move forward again as if to prepare for the chute to open. she either missed it altogether or it didnt come out enough I thought. she then reached back again, and again, as if to find it. it appeard to be out and behind her just not pulling the chute out. She then curled her body around to the right to work with both hands to pull on it....by then it was to late. The chute started to come out at the point of impact...
let me know if this is helpful or i can help further. I admire the courage you all have...
She is in a better place now.

John

This impacted us all to a hard degree, even those who are not jumpers like yourself. Please know there is peace to be had and she found her peace in this sport, with her friends and through Bob. This is hard on you to and if you need anyone to talk to , we are here for you. Although you do not jump, you met the heart of our sports and you will forever be impacted by her life and her death. God bless you.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Very kind words...thank you.
my thoughts on all who jump-
Anybody can grow older. That doesn't take any talent or ability. The idea is to grow up by always finding opportunity in change. Have no regrets.

The elderly usually don't have regrets for what they did, but rather for things they did not do. The only people who fear death are those with regrets.

May we all accomplish everything we desire regardless of the risk and make our dreams a reality...whatever they are.

Good luck to all of you and...Carpe diem

John

***Anybody can grow older. That doesn't take any talent or ability. The idea is to grow up by always finding opportunity in change. Have no regrets.

The elderly usually don't have regrets for what they did, but rather for things they did not do. The only people who fear death are those with regrets.

May we all accomplish everything we desire regardless of the risk and make our dreams a reality...whatever they are.

I never really knew Shannon, but we had at least one thing in common - a love for skydiving.

Your above statements exactly describe why I became a skydiver, and now was the perfect time for me to be reminded of it. Thank you.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

Just remember to have the same excitement and rush out of ....experiences with your children...teach them wisely and love them unconditionally. Much good luck to you...