EricaH

Teardrop in the USA

K, I did a search & came up w/ some older, non-relevant and non-conclusive info so I'm starting a new thread.

Basically, while jumping w/ a friend on holiday (she's from Germany) last week; I saw her beautiful Teardrop container.

I like the pop-top & I like the main flap closing configuration.

I'm wondering & wanting to make sure that:
1) if certain models are or are not TSOd for use by an American in the US. and
2) In the USA, generally & in Chicago area specifically, do you know if I'll be able to find a rigger that will repack one?

Thank you for your insight. Again, I am looking for info relevant to a American jumper in America. I know they'er good in the UK, EC & Canada... but I'm not there or one of them.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Some modles are TSO'd. Contact Thomas sports for more information.

You may want to think about ordering something more common in the USA as both service, and "good" packjobs on unfamiliar equipment may be hard to find.

The qualiy of the Teardrop is good. I don't like how heavy the pop-top dome is, but that's minor.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Teardrop or SuperFly Teardrop?

Basically, the original teardrop has the velcro on the side main riser covers (à la Racer) while the newer SF Teardrop has tucks, and a bottom to top main container flap

(I'd guess you're talking about the SF)
Remster

Def the SF Teardrop... only know of the other one because of searching in this forum. It just looks so nice.

JP - I totally get what you're saying. But there's a rigger in Chicago area (and there are bunches) - that can pack this thing, it's the first one I've seen on which I like every feature (execpt missing cut-in laterals [:/]).

If you are intersted in the pin on the back you might want to contact Trident in CA, they are nearing completion on their new Viper container and you might get some new info on it. It might meet more of your list then other containers if you are wanting the the pop top style rig.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

IIRC, isn't the Teardrop TSE's answer to the Racer?

Erica, if you like the poptop have you checked out a Racer lately (since they have been doing the poptop thing for a loooong time)? I did not too long ago. I was impressed with the quality of construction and the overall look and feel of the container (if you like the look of a poptop that is).

Reasonable pricing, fast delivery and excellent customer service from the manufacturer too.

IIRC, isn't the Teardrop TSE's answer to the Racer?

To the Racer 2K3? I dont think so... the SF has been around for probably 3 or 4 years. At least.

Without saying its a copy (I wouldnt know anyways), the original Teardrop looks very similar the the older Racers, yes.

The SF doesnt at all.
Remster

And that is what I like about it. I'll have to look into this Trident Viper - sounds intersting.

There are a few people @ my dz w/ Racers. I don't really like the look of them, but I also know that shouldn't be the 1st priority in picking a piece of sporting equipment.

However if something else has the same safty features w/ a better look.... I guess so long as there's not the same dificulty in finding a rigger, why not try it.

The superfly is setup like a Racer on top and a Vector III on bottom.

Are you talking visualy or technically Chuck? Just cusious.... (by the way, the SF is 1 pin, is the new 2K3 1 pin too?)

What will be the price nowawdays with the exchange rate on the low dollar?
Remster

Here's a link to their products page. As you can see, it looks like a "normal" rig w/ the exception of the rounded pop top (which I like).

http://www.thomas-sports.com/shop/index.html

The exchange rate won't help a US buyer @ all.... but if said buyer has a relative in another country that wants to buy them a rig ;), well, who can fault them?

Have you seen a Reflex yet? Have you seen how few riggers can make them look good? Even fewer riggers can make Racers look good on every repack.

Can you tell us what the big selling points to a pop top are for you over the more traditional design? Or is it because its different? I'm trying to see if there are any rigs in the US that would meet your requirements for a rig...
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

The Superfly Teardrops have the C23d TSO, or whatever the latest one with a 'd' in it is. It's on the standards or safety page on the website, and Chris Thomas told me himself at the AGM that it's approved anywhere, and I didn't get the impression he meant for a Brit to use anywhere. Best to check though.

Phree - you almost certainly know this, but for anyone else who's reading and doesn't know - some people just don't like the idea of there being any flaps to get in the way of their pilot chute launching. Others just like the idea that their reserve pin is up against their back, and therefore very well protected.

One guy at my dropzone could afford any rig he wanted, but he had a mad scary reserve PC hesitation, and he's committed to poptops (and Superflys specifically) for a very long time. He's selling his old SF, getting a new SF.

Nick
---------------------------
"I've pierced my foot on a spike!!!"

I tend to agree with you, in regard to a lot of folks thinking, about 'fewer' or 'no' flaps for the pilot-chute to 'push' through. Also, the added pin protection by means of the pin on the back-side of the container. The JumpShack Racer (in this country) is a very good example of 'form follows function'. Any rigger can make one look good, by taking their time. Also, the harness of the Racer is Type - 13 webbing, which tends to slip less (if at all) in the hardware.

Chuck

PC hesitation is usally caused by a weak spring. By placing a stronger spring on the rig it assists in eliminating the hesitation and it promotes a cleaner launch. Wings had this issue when they were using the old 25 pound springs in the first few containers and moved to the 40 pound springs soon after they opened and the problems went away.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

It depends on the bridle placement as well. I had my reserve packed by a guy I don't normally use (I won't use his name on here - he's a well known guy at a big dz) - and when I poped the reserve for a cypres install, the reserve pc didn't even hit the ground. I got my regular packer to do it, and next time I poped it the pc went about 8 foot behind me.

Thats a rigging error, not a function of the container design. I've seen that happen before when some of the bridle makes it way between the freebag and the container and gets pinched. Can be a severe issue if the spring and PC fail to catch air.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks for posting that link. I hadn't seen an SF before that I remember. Nice looking rig.

I'm assuming the ones on their website are smaller container sizes. Has anyone seen or have a pic of one with larger canopies (i.e. 170+) in it? Can anyone comment on how it compares in overall size to a Javelin built for the same canopies?

A Teardrop SF, when built specifically for the canopies, is a snug fit, and easy to pack. Mine is a Tempo 210 / Sabre 190, build, and I now have a Crossfire2 169 in it. It's gorgeous. I'll try and find a photo for you...
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

Thank you for all your replies & answers.

I like the pop top for the reasons mentioned. Their are arguements all over the place & I'm too much of a newbie to have any hard proof to what's right or wrong.
However, I think that not haveing my reserve PC exit affected in any way by flaps is a good thing. Plus having the reserve pin against my back (away from all the idiots that are out to kill me ;)) is very comforting.
In addition, I like the way it looks. Along w/ the main closing flap configuration.

Meatbomb, pics would be great!! It's nice to know that downsizing in the same container will not completely distort the looks.

I will also look @ a reflex... think I've seen one & it didn't make that much of an impression on me. The GF just looks hot! And is functional.

if buying second hand, be sure to make sure it is a Thomas Sports made SF and not one under license to PISA (defunct Parachute Industries South African, now Aerodyne). The SF they made is not TSO'd for use in the States, unless you are a non US resident and it is legal to jump in your home country - in which case you can jump it there, but can't let anyone else jump it.
I own a PISA made SF and it's great!

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

pics would be great!! It's nice to know that downsizing in the same.......

This is my TSE SuperFly..bought it as my first rig from a friend. It holds a 150 main/ 155 Reserve. I have been told that it can take one size up/down for the main.

Hope this helps..