cornishe

shannon pc

was it surely just a weak pitch? does anyone know her method for folding and stowing her pc and what brand/model was it. jaap had a similar experience he was able to clear and while still the cause is still unknown, his packing method we concurred to be bunk. Also the extra thick (double sprayed) material of that pc some think contributed.

-am
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Asylum 42 inch AV Pilot chute/Mojo 240/ Vision Container

I know how she used to fold it.

Originally it was basically a supermushroom. If it has changed since then, it was the standard mushroom like the Asylum manual shows.

I have not seen any video of the jump so there is no speculation on my part as to what exactly happened.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Looked like a super-mushroom from what I recall.

At this point, its hard to point to gear... I believe she was jumping a Vision (edit). I've had a hard pull on a Warlock. I know people who have had hard pulls on almost every rig out there so who's to say.
I didn't witness the incident until after impact so I cannot put a handle on the series of events.

not wondering bout hard pull. bridle then fold mesh. jaap will explain. sounds not the case anyway. cant type much sorry. feel like faber.

-am
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

I know the "Dead Jaap" method you're referring to. No worries, thanks.

It seems to me VERY UNLIKELY that Jaap's "dead jaap" PC packing method had anything to do with his "hesitation". I know many seem to think thats a good explanation, I think its nonsensical. I do not see how its possible for that to be a concern.

Doesn't directly mean much but I've used the dead jaap pack for hundreds of jumps with hardly anything near a hesi, and still use it!

'just one of those things, maybe stiff zp, maybe a weak pitch, maybe the planets, but I strongly feel the planets are more likley to have been a contributing factor than that method of PC packing.

WDC
"If you are not a part of the Solution, you are a part of the Precipitate"

It seems to me VERY UNLIKELY that Jaap's "dead jaap" PC packing method had anything to do with his "hesitation". I know many seem to think thats a good explanation, I think its nonsensical. I do not see how its possible for that to be a concern.

Doesn't directly mean much but I've used the dead jaap pack for hundreds of jumps with hardly anything near a hesi, and still use it!

'just one of those things, maybe stiff zp, maybe a weak pitch, maybe the planets, but I strongly feel the planets are more likley to have been a contributing factor than that method of PC packing.

WDC

Didn't the "Dead Japp" incident lead to the discovery of the faulty batches of material used in the maufacture of the PCs and to the recall issued by Apex?

Kris.

feel like faber.

hope not mate as im in pain at the mo. did you do stupied shit again?

Did any inspect the gear,or has da police got it?

I know it wont be a nice thing to do but perhaps it could prevent another fatality.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

The whole weak pitch/bad PC folding theory does not sound really plausible. Was the bridle entanglement involved? Anyone knows?

according to every witness that described the incident, yes she had a bridle wrap. leading up to that bridle wrap was the pc reportedly sitting on her back.

we dont have to rehash here wether it is possible or not. i asked to make sure there isnt a pattern that needs to be investigated.

faber- i brtoke my wrist. yop yop yop. feel better dude.

-am
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Yesterday I was watching some old videos of shannon jumping as well as some from this past weekend (which didn't include her last), It looked to me like she is relaxed at pitch time, She reaches back, grips the pc and gently but quickly throws the pilot chute out as she returns to the square stable body position. Her throw seems slightly forward and up.
Here is the link to an interview that her fiance did yesterday, there is some video from the past weekend.
http://harbinger.sims.berkeley.edu/~glum/shannon.mpg
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

you too mate,heal faster than me:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Thanks SO much for posting that. What a great tribute. Bob is amazing.

that video is amazing. long. sensitive (not sensational).
very beautiful.
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Just watched "Lemmings Extremes" again, a collection of the Bridge Day's "The Best of the Worst" jumps. Watch 27:45 (or 12:15 on Johnny Utah's "Bridge Day Safety Video").

A guy makes a 2s delay, pitches the PC in a smooth and swift motion and brings his hands to shoulders waiting for the risers. What can be clearly seen is that the PC quickly moves from his right side into his burble and stays "glued" to his butt. There's no bridle to be seen. Apparently, most of the bridle stayed in the BOC. The PC is not inflated as there's no tension in the bridle. At 4s into the jump the guy realizes something is wrong. He looks back and reaches back with his hand, pulling the PC out of the burble. At 5s into the jump, you can see the container opening. At 6s, his canopy is half inflated.

At Perrine (5.8s to impact), he would have died. Only additional height of NRGB saved him.

His pitch was not weak. Yet, for unknown reason, the PC didn't move further to the side in a tight bundle before inflating, instead, it spread out instantly into a pancake which got sucked into the burble.

Thoughts? Any particular method of PC packing that can cause this? It seems, the bridle didn't stay trapped inside the mushroom, it got "dumped" in BOC on pull. Maybe, "Dead Jaap Pack" is not that bad afterall (if the ZP material is not thick/sticky), since it prevents the "bridle dump"?

There's not much time at Perrine to clear PC hesitations, and they do happen...

Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

----------------------Sorry, my daughter got a kidney donated,I thought it might be from Shannon. It fit a dream I had.Shannon sounds like a very speacial lady ,sorry , Tom

I watched her folding her PC a couple days before the accident. I just saw the beginning, but it looked like she was just using a standard mushroom.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" ~Adam Savage

At Perrine (5.8s to impact)

I thought (and am most likely wrong) that from the deck the perrine had a 5.2s to impact. clarification anyone?

SNIP

Apparently, most of the bridle stayed in the BOC.

END of SNIP

huh ? How can the bridle stay in the BOC if during a proper packing method (which people indicate was used ) the bridle is routed ( from the bottom pin/shrivel flap) - pin - bridle protector ( or just tucked in) - towards the bottom of the BOC - in the mesh of the folded PC.

ok this kind of answers it - if the bridle was barely folded/stuffed in the mesh, and nowhere near the cap/handle - one can hypothesize that a VERY WEAK pitch where one just barely grips the outer material of the PC and lazily places it away from their body can in fact leave the rest of the bridle in the BOC. Don't think I have ever seen anybody be lazy with a PC toss on a BASE jump.... But who knows, the Perrine regulars would be much better people ot comment on that.

I can easily imagine a weak PC toss where the bridle does not get extracted and the PC does. I have seen at least 5 recent videos of jumpers MISSING the PC completly on BASE jumps (with a sure handed second attempt:SB|) from this object.

I can easily imagine a weak PC toss where the bridle does not get extracted and the PC does. I have seen at least 5 recent videos of jumpers MISSING the PC completly on BASE jumps (with a sure handed second attempt:SB|) from this object.

I believe you. And I am agreeing with RayLosli - a BASE jump is still a BASE jump. A bridge affords you lots of leaway and room to fuckup - but remeber the 1st rule - DON'T BOUNCE - and make sure you prioratize accordingly. Personally I don't think it's acceptable to not have enough muscle memory for a proper PC reach and throw. Your textbook exit and aerials don't mean shit if you don't pull.

At Perrine (5.8s to impact)

I thought (and am most likely wrong) that from the deck the perrine had a 5.2s to impact. clarification anyone?

Without air resistance, t = sqrt(2*h/g) = sqrt(2*486/32) = 5.5s. With air, you are at 366ft at 5s and 504ft at 6s, so 5.8s for 486ft is just about right.
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Hello,

I do not write here very often but this last fatality has got me thinking. I have been base jumping for a little while and seen quite a few jumps here and there. In all my jumps ( and more importantly all the jumps I have seen ) I have only witnessed two pilot chute hesitations in person. I have also seen two very spectacular hesitations on video both resulting in the jumpers being hurt and almost killed. One common thing I noticed between all of these 4 hesitations was a short delay stowed. I to this point have not seen or heard of a pilot chute hesitation hand held ( if anyone out there knows of one I would love to see the footage). I find this very interesting. My point being, when I learned to base jump I was taught that if you were going to do a 1 to 2 second delay you would go hand held because even though the likelihood was very small, there was a chance that the pilot chute could get caught in your burble and create a longer then anticipated opening sequence. If you were going to do 3 seconds or more then stowed was ok because it meant you would have the air speed to insure your pilot chute wouldn't get trapped in the burble created by your body falling through the air. I find it a bit odd that I was told this by my base teachers almost 9 years ago yet it seems like lost knowledge on these forums.

I of corse have violated the not going stowed under 3 seconds many times. Mostly out of fear and just pulling to early. Some times I was doing acrobatics from very low object and was unable to take the longer delay and had to go stowed because I didn't want to get tangled in my bridle. But I was always told by people much smarter then my self that you must know the rules before you brake them. They also told me that what I was doing was going to get me very hurt and most likely killed.

Why do a stowed jump flat and stable and only take 1 to 2 seconds? Why not just go hand held with a bigger pilot chute if that is the delay you take all the time? If you decide to do some super hard core acrobatics from something very low then at least know that pilot chute hesitations can happen and if they do then you could be very hurt or killed. Pilot chute hesitations are very rare but if you do nothing but 1 to 2 second delays stowed for every base jump you do at the potato bridge then you could be increasing the chances...

Jeb Corliss

It's hard to fathom sometimes, but it's an evolution. Bob Sinclair came to an early Bridge Day and jumped his regular rip corded spring loaded skydiving rig. He thought our chief problem was all the bridles and pilot chutes hanging out all over the place, and he said as much.

It's probably only a coincidence Bob mentioned it, but while a few always did Bridge Day stowed, and we all did the higher stuff stowed, it was right about that time (early 90s) that now we all started going stowed lower and lower. It seemed like the next step, letting go of the security rag, and yes - it was cooler too.

Four hundred eighty five-feet is BASE purgatory. No matter the object it's an awkward altitude suspended somewhere between heaven and hell. Sometimes it's a bit too high for slider down and sometimes it's a bit too low for slider up. Throw the stowed/not stowed thing into it and a glitch and you're out of time.

Nothing is a lock in gear and technique progression and we are always on our way to the next place. However, I think there should be a rule that you can take back a Nugget if it's yours. I'd yank one I wrote in some BASE magazine years ago that went, "If you can go, you can stow . . .

NickD :)BASE 194