Treejumps

What did you learn Mem. Day Weekend?

There is nothing less BASE and more crap than jumps without purity (unpacked shit) and not being able to land on a dime no matter where it is placed.

Works for skydiving too sometimes. Different parameters maybe, but same idea.

I like you really well, and I'm no BASE jumper.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

How do you like me now, bitches?

You're still one of my all-time favorites. B|

Just to sort of extend on yours and Collin's thoughts a bit further...

People need to honestly ask themselves not only "Why am I jumping?" but "Who am I jumping for?".

Are you truly jumping for you or for the camera and/or crowd? Would you do jump X if you were completely by yourself?

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I learned that when partying with mates $1 beers fucking rock. Hell YEAH.
I also learned that mentioning slippery feet and 50ringit IOUs will make Ray Losli look the other way, stop talking and loose his focus. So don't bring it up on the exit point. I also learned that you can still show up to the bridge with 31 skydives and some silly fucker will give you gear and send you off the bridge. "Just don't get it wet" CHUFFING BRILLIANT.
But let's not say anything to anyone coz it's not our place to tell someone what they're doing is fucked up. I also learned that most of the jumpers there were not ready for what happened. Now is definitely time for introspection folks. It's been said numerous times before, if you continue to jump there are only 2 possible outcomes.
Go hard, have a blast but prepare yourself for the worst. I speak from experience. The worst does and will continue to happen.
Cya.

I'd kiss ya if you we're cuter.

I cringe when I hear the words "BASE" and "Boogie" in the same sentance.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

You are a minority...."you make way to much sense"...

You have my vote......B|

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

Perhaps one of the best ever typed into a computer.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Skin.. thats some good thinking there. I'm scared.. between you and Ray making sense with this:

The problem I See with this. and this is just ( My Opinion ). BASE jumping is NOT Skydiving. This bridge brings the mentality of. WOW I WanaTry BASE.- Looks like Fun & Everyone is doing it.- All my friends are Trying It.- Wow, looks so cool in Skydive Magazine - Wow FJC courses for BASE - Wow his must be the para-Skydive Sport I PROGRESS into after I have Mastered one or two hundred skydive jumps. ...

I think this is a sign of the end of days... :D
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

(see attached pic). I dub it the "slip over."

That looks more like you're getting attacked by a giant Portugese Man o' War.

I learned it was a great weekend to stay far away from Twin Falls and enjoy a local cliff jump.

Heal up Jason you miraculous mofo!!!:o

Ditto
SabreDave

what did I learn?
- that when taken too lightly, even "safe" objects will suffer injuries.
- attempts at humor, crowds, cameras, and a festive atmosphere can distract people from focusing on safety

(GO Skin!)
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Burn it down! I couldn't agree more.:)

May we live long and die out

Well boys and girls, I learned not to talk to the media without a lawyer present...:| After getting a comment on my wonderful quotes in the twin falls paper just wanted to say that I did not say "base jumpers think about death differently than other people" The first part is accurate... Basically the gist was "most base jumpers THINK about death" When asked if we ignore the possibiliy of dying.
Tracy and I both conveyed that we thought most jumpers were very aware of the possibility of dying, as opposed to how popular culture for the most part is in denial.

Yes Tom. I knew something was up with the choppy interview of you saying "all base jumpers are fools and I eat small children when I am not base jumping!" :D
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Know what I learned from Mem. Day Weekend? I've already said it once, but it bears repeating, if only for myself in written form:

BASE jumping is not for me.

It is alluring, it is captivating, it's addictive to watch, and you who do it have my upmost respect, but

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Know what I learned from Mem. Day Weekend? I've already said it once, but it bears repeating, if only for myself in written form:

It is alluring, it is captivating, it's addictive to watch, and you who do it have my upmost respect, but

RESPECT.[/B]

Ditto.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Boo ya kashaaB|

Spoken in true Kiwi fashion. And... I agree.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

The media misquoted you ??? No way. ...:o
You might even be misquoted in the future also. Any Interview freely given without thinking. With audio or video or both. Is nothing but fuel for the medias huge and ever growing (library-bank) of collective information. Your image and words can be brought up and used in any edited and pieced together manor that they wish. To create entertainment Accurately or Inaccurately. It is there choice Not Yours.
I suggest in any future contact with media (You do This). Knife there automobile tires then push them down the closest flight of Stairs available. It Is the BEST form of training to discourage any future attempts at there Ambulance Chasing mentality for a story. I even find that rubbing there nose in a puddle of there own Urine while beating them with a rolled up copy of there Own employers News Paper. Really works well also. ...;)

> How do you like me now, bitches?
I agree with every single word you wrote, mate!!! :)
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

What I learned:

1) Going stowed from a 5.8 sec object can severely complicate the jump.

2) The next time I am up there I need to practice my stowed pulls a bunch before actually going stowed (to date I haven't gone stowed from that object yet).

3) Things that other jumpers do that seem simple may still not be appropriate for me to try with my current low experience level.

Since this was my first time: to the mid-west, in Idaho, attending an FJC, and BASE jumping I learned many things about BASE jumping techniques, rigging, its culture, but most importanly about myself. Here are 4 things I am willing to share:

A) BASE openings are much, much harder than skydiving openings.

B) Watching someone 'Go In' right in front of you is different than it happening on the horizon.

C) 3 seconds of freefall is not worth 45 minute pack jobs, 30 minute climb outs, getting slammed, and the extra risks.

D) BASE jumping is not free, it really costs a whole lot more than skydiving does in the long run.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM