Treejumps

What did you learn Mem. Day Weekend?

I should've known better...:SI'm glad they didn't throw in a couple quotes for the articale about shannon.

This is from a less-than-newbie, a zero-bie, who was not there and is only in the BASE thinking/dreaming stage.

I will do much more training in canopy control and difficult/tight landings than I or anyone else thinks I need, and continue practicing forever. I will find some way to learn and practice exits and low speed stability, and will continue that training/practice forever. I will use body armor. You Folks Rock!

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Adam F. said a long time ago that a good base jumper was a thinking base jumper, and that each jumper should continually strive to learn and critically evaluate thmselves. There were so many injuries and issues last weekend in TF that we should learn from and make changes in our behavior as a community.

I'll start. Since my first trip to TF 5 or 6 years ago I've always enjoyed doing slider up jumps there. Confortable openings while doing aerials and short canopy rides are something I really enjoy and I have done quite a few. I had 2 far from graceful landings that had I been slider down would not have been an issue. One was in high winds were I was blown past the beach during opening and could not make the planned left hook turn to the beach resulting in a opposite direction hook that I just got back under for a crosswinder in 20+ winds. Bruised but not broken I continued to jump. On another jump I was further over the water and had just enough time (5 sec canopy ride) to hook it back toward the beach, were I found a nice 4" diameter tree fallen over that I did not avoid. Again, bruised but not broken. That was the 2nd log I encountered on the beach trail, the 1st I avoided, and then moved it into the trees (an 8" diameter x 4' long log).

So going forward I will avoid slider up in any high winds at Perrine. Its only 486', and after lots of jumping there over the years I was complacent. It is an easy BASE jump, but there are plenty of ways to get hurt there, and complacency invites injury. Large groups and boogie weekends invite complacency. It is still a base jump and this past weekends performance proves that.

What else did we learn?

like the man said there is no such thing as JUST ANOTHER BASE JUMP , they are all a serious base jump and should be treated as such . do not get complacent as complacency can and will catch up to you . be safe everybody and keep thinking .
till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates

we jump as we dream...alone;)

and we should make the decision to jump alone and not in a crowd of pepole that are eager to "go for it",even when the weather or other things are speak against it...
for me personaly i try to avoid those boogiesituations, but it is not always possible,...
i love the comunity to much:$

anyway,... i think it is like nick wrote,...
we lerned maybe about the human nature,...
but thats all....:P