Treejumps

What did you learn Mem. Day Weekend?

Adam F. said a long time ago that a good base jumper was a thinking base jumper, and that each jumper should continually strive to learn and critically evaluate thmselves. There were so many injuries and issues last weekend in TF that we should learn from and make changes in our behavior as a community.

I'll start. Since my first trip to TF 5 or 6 years ago I've always enjoyed doing slider up jumps there. Confortable openings while doing aerials and short canopy rides are something I really enjoy and I have done quite a few. I had 2 far from graceful landings that had I been slider down would not have been an issue. One was in high winds were I was blown past the beach during opening and could not make the planned left hook turn to the beach resulting in a opposite direction hook that I just got back under for a crosswinder in 20+ winds. Bruised but not broken I continued to jump. On another jump I was further over the water and had just enough time (5 sec canopy ride) to hook it back toward the beach, were I found a nice 4" diameter tree fallen over that I did not avoid. Again, bruised but not broken. That was the 2nd log I encountered on the beach trail, the 1st I avoided, and then moved it into the trees (an 8" diameter x 4' long log).

So going forward I will avoid slider up in any high winds at Perrine. Its only 486', and after lots of jumping there over the years I was complacent. It is an easy BASE jump, but there are plenty of ways to get hurt there, and complacency invites injury. Large groups and boogie weekends invite complacency. It is still a base jump and this past weekends performance proves that.

What else did we learn?

When we were walking up to the bridge to do the 5-way that went to shit, I told everyone on the load

"Remember the most important thing on this jump is ME!"

May sound arrogant or self-serving but it is the reality of any exit. Worry about yourself first and foremost. If id doesn't feel right don't do it. Even if everyone else on the load goes, think first about yourself. Any other decision is the WRONG decision.

Once the shit happened, Jason was the most important thing on the jump and we all did our best to assist him. This includes all the people on the bridge, in the air, in the helicopter, ambulances, and hospitals.

To me this is EXACTLY the way it should work. This is dangerous stuff. Keep your head and make the right decisions.

It was a very messy weekend around the world for skydiving and BASE. I feel for all affected by the tragedies.

I think Jason used up everyone's luck for the weekend and he needed every bit of it.

Its only 486', and after lots of jumping there over the years I was complacent. It is an easy BASE jump, but there are plenty of ways to get hurt there, and complacency invites injury. Large groups and boogie weekends invite complacency. It is still a base jump and this past weekends performance proves that.

*If you find yourself looking around and feeling as if you are the only one going hand held, it's okay. For a while I felt like a huge puss and actually considered going stowed..but then thought "why? I'm not doing aerials, it's not sketchy getting to exit, there is no reason" and stuck with hand held. 5.8sec is not a lot of time.

*BASE 'boogies' are way out of my league at my current experience level and take away a lot of the emotions I usually experience on a base jump and add a lot of un-needed pressure.

*Don't listen when people say "oh, but it's JUST a bridge".

*How seroius 2+ ways actually are...Every detail of the jump must be thoroughly discussed/planned/stuck to - exit, pitch, etc. If not, serious incidents or unintentional crew are likely to occur.

Okay, newb running back to corner..

Amanda

I didn’t learn much about BASE that I didn’t already know – But, I certainly learned something about human nature . . .

The forever smiling lady who checked me out of my TF hotel Tuesday morning had been sobbing and trying to hide it . . .

The place I ate breakfast every morning for a week tore up the bill when I went to the register for the last time. . .

The girls running the Outback looked up every time a woman came through the door, even though they knew Shannon wouldn’t be one of them – but they kept looking, and looking, and looking . . .

For some of us, and certainly for me, the last memory of Shannon isn’t going to be of her jump, it will be of her being so eager to help out with the impromptu gear raffle held Sunday afternoon down by the boat drop-off, and it was very fitting she spent that last time with us by giving stuff away . . .

I’ll also be pulling for Jason, who has a rough road ahead, and recall the kindness he showed me . . . We have now more than a few people ordering rigs and wearing that body armor and we’ve been measuring as many different body types as possible needing to know where to give the harness a little extra room. When I asked Jason, a stranger to me, if I could measure him with and without his body armor on I knew it was a lot to ask - as it’s a pain taking all that stuff off and putting it back on again. He didn’t even blink, “Sure, no problem at all,” is all he said . . .

We should also mention the practical side of things, the amount of canopy control difficulties some people displayed, the fact not just a few are practicing things off the bridge that would be best worked out down at the gym, and that in bad wind conditions too few walked away and too many went for it . . . There’s a Crew mentality at work there, but in the end - even when you launch a group-way, it is still all you . . .

Shannon will be number 99 on the BASE fatality list . . . Number 100 is walking around among us right now. Please, if you see this person, pull them aside and tell them to slow down . . .

NickD :|
BASE 194

. . . Number 100 is walking around among us right now. Please, if you see this person, pull them aside and tell them to slow down . . .

NickD :|
BASE 194

In your words Nick: that is a nugget.
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

The importance of stability in freefall. I think this seems obvious in the context of stable exits, but I've learned that I should take very seriously anything which could cause an unstable deployment.

Michael

This lesson I translated from surfing to BASE awhile ago, but is as fitting at the Perrine as it is on ANY other BASE jump:

"You're always alone in big surf."

Take it how you want, but remember that in these sports that we do, there's only one person that's responible for your safety, and if you can't figure out who it is, then don't jump until you REALLY understand that.

486' over water is still a BASE jump.

Don't be a Dick.

pope

I am thanking a special jumper for coming over and talking to me when I had thought that Jason went in. After you left I stayed for a bit looking down at the rescue boat, then hoped back over the ledge. This is when a bystander asked if I knew Jason. I said I met him this weekend. She then told me that he was moving and talking... I shed tears of happiness for the first time in my life. I took a loooong walk after I heard that. Thank you for saying what you said, you know who you are.

I learned yet again that we are all family, with a love that brings people from all over the world, languages, cultures, disabilities/abilities, all together. This was one thing I learned from this weekend.

Remember: A BASE jump is a BASE jump, is a BASE jump; treat them all as such.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

*Don't listen when people say "oh, but it's JUST a bridge".

it's just a bridge... but 486' will kill 'ya [:/]
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

I learned to check your footing on every exit. I knew that already, but I think I'll be extra careful about it from now on.

Here's what happens when you slip on a wet platform when attempting a roll over (see attached pic). I dub it the "slip over."

No boots but kneepads? Why's that?
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

Why no boots - Wearing sneakers on most of my jumps is a choice that I made, and I know it puts me in the minority. I feel like I'm better able to run out fast landings and I'm just generally more dexterous in sneakers. Ironic that I'm writing this after posting a picture of me slipping. Who knows though, it may have been worse in boots.
I've also sunk it in hard in sneakers, landed on RR tracks, medium sized rocks, rough terrain, mud puddles, etc. So far my ankles are intact, however a friend of mine hasn't been as fortunate even though he has a pair of the popular boots. Go figure.

Why knee pads - They've saved my knee before, probably will again.

I learned not to forget my precious Red Bull when faced with 10 climb outs. For each time I climbed out my double reverses got sloppier. The T-stake doesn’t help you maintain energy!!!! I want my money back. :D;)

I also learned that Matt can't hold his liquor!!! :D:D

Coco

I learned it was a great weekend to stay far away from Twin Falls and enjoy a local cliff jump.

Heal up Jason you miraculous mofo!!!:o

Got another view for ya....scared the shioot out of me. Glad it all came out OK. ;)
I became better in this sport when I learned to shut my mouth and keep my eyes and ears open.

What else did we learn?

1) We continue to fail to learn by the lessons of our predecessors.
2) Our enthusiasm far outstrips our skill level
3) These trends continue to accelerate
4) Very few will absorb 1-3 this time...as is the norm.

Next verse, same as the first.

We have forgotten the basics in favor of less appropriate, more ostensibly impressive skills.

Two mantras that aid the quest for the perfect score.
1) Keep it Simple, Stupid!
2) Execute the basics flawlessly.

The bit when you schlare the tarp is kind of critical. From the point at which your start to pack your canopy you are preparing for this moment. How strange that the instant foot and earth are reunited has become an arcane and forgotten detail in favor stunts such as not packing at all. I believe the reason for this is threefold...the new school is too impatient to pack and too scared of freefall and the old school is too worried about being seen to be left behind by the kids.

There is nothing less BASE and more crap than jumps without purity (unpacked shit) and not being able to land on a dime no matter where it is placed.

We should pull that fucking bridge down. It is becoming the birthplace of an increasing problem population.

How do you like me now, bitches?

B|
$kin
There's only one Tom Aiello...

Why knee pads - They've saved my knee before, probably will again.

Those exposed knee-pads and that slip of yours could easily have become another incident had those lines decided to meet up with your legs... :S

Come on people...think.
You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone.

Here's a great photo of exposed kneepads causing problems....

Exposed Kneepad Snag

Those exposed knee-pads and that slip of yours could easily have become another incident had those lines decided to meet up with your legs

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I learned that really bad things happen to really good people.

Of course I already knew that, but it was re-itterated.

Ganja

For each time I climbed out my double reverses got sloppier.

Coco

SLOW DOWN BROTHER, its a marathon not a sprint.
Blair

Wow, Skin has a way with words. Well said!! I could not agree more.

I do think Twin is a great place to get some experience under your belt, but that is opposite of what (most) people are using it for especially at these large events. I choose to stay away (far away) from that place last w/e in fear of exactly what happened. All kinds of people, from different walks of life, trying to push themselves WAY too far, WAY too fast.

I'm not at all surprised at what went down. Take a step back people, check yourself, and keep it safe.

Wishing a full and speedy recovery to all who were injured.

Wow Skin... This is incredibly well articulated.

Kudos.

Chris
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Even more than before ;)