fall2fast

First BASE Rig?

I am 230lbs and I am going to do some BASE jumping. What do you suggest I start out with? I don't like to get used gear, sticker shock is ok with me, and I don't need anything too awful fancy, but once I get better at it, I want to do some low jumps and short landings.
To start with I am going with some friends to Bridge Day.
Also we were talking about some hop and pops out of the cessna, and balloon exits.
Thanks in advance!

at the top of the main page (in the base forum) are some very good articles
one of them is "my first base rig" by tom aiello

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

Presumably you plan on waiting at least another 140 jumps, plan on getting canopy coaching, plan on getting a mentor and plan on taking a BASE first jump course, yes? And you've read Nick's list a few times? And you've checked out BASE Wiki to gain as much knowledge as possible?
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

You crack me up
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Did someone say crack?
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Presumably you plan on waiting at least another 140 jumps, plan on getting canopy coaching, plan on getting a mentor and plan on taking a BASE first jump course, yes? And you've read Nick's list a few times? And you've checked out BASE Wiki to gain as much knowledge as possible?

Dear BASE master,

I am preparing to take a FJC very soon, but I am about 32 jumps short of your 202 jump requirement. What should I do?

Sincerely,
Lowly BASE jumper wannabe

troll....?
right....?

i mean, its gotta be.

late,
RJ$$
word to your mother,
RJ$$
BASE 1117

Dear BASE master,

I am preparing to take a FJC very soon, but I am about 32 jumps short of your 202 jump requirement. What should I do?

Sincerely,
Lowly BASE jumper wannabe

You should take MB38's advice -- your chances of living longer will greatly improve.

MB38 may not have a lot of jumps, but he has given solid, good advice to someone who is considering BASE. I consider what he said to be spot-on.

Bryan

I'm on your side, guys. I don't know shit and I'm the first to admit that. But - in my humble opinion - it's better to give too much information and get vilified for it than to have somebody without enough experience put themselves off of their apartment building with a brand-new rig and die.

One post, asking about a BASE rig? Probably a troll. But what if a non-troll read the thread full of "lol go for it" responses and did? :S
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I took it to be a troll thread, but you're right. I was harsh, and that's because I get annoyed with the constant flow of "advice" on this forum coming from people who have no association with the discipline they're giving advice on, or who are fresh off student status. Your advice, as far as I know, was good, though... as was stated by someone else here already.

Hey Michael, are you really loading your reserve at 6.68 to 1?

Just curious, but definitely not going to offer you any advice ;)

If your profile is up to date, seriously consider spending the money on some more skydives, instead.

To answer the question:

Most of my advice is linked in that article at the top of the forum. Here's a few more thoughts:

1) How low is "low jumps" that you are talking about?
2) What kind of objects are you interested in? Are they solid? Or are you mostly looking at towers and bridges, where a tailwind can help you (or there is nothing to hit anyway)?

There isn't really any "fancy" BASE gear. The primary thing you are going to want to decide is if you would like to secondary inlets on the bottom skin of your canopy. If your "low" stuff is below about 300 feet, or if you're going to be jumping solid things, I'd recommend it. Once you've made that decision, you're pretty much in the "fancy" part of the BASE canopy market, which means you're not going to go too far wrong, because most all the vented canopies on the market have fairly acceptable openings.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

taken from http://www.bridgeday.info

(7) What are the requirements for jumping at Bridge Day?
There are several requirements that must be satisfied before making your first BASE jump on Bridge Day. Jumpers must be 18 years old, register online, show up prior to Bridge Day for gear checks and mandatory meetings, and follow all the rules set forth by the BASE Coordinator. In addition, jumpers must have prior parachuting experience (meaning at least 50 skydives or BASE jumps) and suitable gear. The BASE Coordinator and your fellow BASE jumpers can and will tell you to "wait until next year" if you don't have enough skydiving experience or proper gear.
The safest and best gear to have is a BASE jumping specific 7-cell canopy with a low aspect ratio (Fox, Mojo, Dragon, Troll, Cruislite, Raven, etc.), a Velcro or pin-closed BASE specific harness and container (Reactor, Perigee, Wizard, Gargoyle, etc.), a 42-48" pilot chute with at least a 9' bridle (required), and a helmet and pads. High-performance zero-porosity (ZP) canopies are not permitted (we'll be glad to show you video of a first-timer Sabre pilot who broke both his femurs if you're still not convinced). If you plan on taking at least a 3-second delay, you'll want to purchase a mesh slider to speed up the opening of your canopy. If you have at least attempted to modify or purchase BASE specific gear, a tailpocket is another good idea to clean up your pack job and provide reliable on-heading openings. Reserves can be used if necessary from the NRGB if you have sufficient altitude and quick hands, but many who have used them in the past have only had a few seconds of canopy time. Also, forget your AAD on this jump as it will only get trashed if you land in the water. You will not be permitted to jump if you cannot safely make the jump using the proper gear and attitude. Your best bet is to purchase BASE-specific gear because your life depends on it. And remember, there usually aren't reserves!

(8) Can I rent gear or should I bring my own? For how much?
Plan on bringing your own gear to Bridge Day if possible, as there are typically only a few rentals available. Your gear options include:
New Gear: This is your safest option if you have the cash. A new 7-cell BASE canopy will cost you around $1300 and a new Velcro-closed BASE rig is approximately $600. Other prices include: Mesh slider ($50), 42" pilot chute with 9' bridle ($85), tailpocket ($20-$50 installed), toggles ($20-$30), and stash bag ($35). Examples of BASE-specific canopies are the Fox, Mojo, Flik, Ace, Blackjack, Dragon, and Troll. Usually, instructional video tapes are included with new canopy purchases to show you how to pack, and there are free packing and first jump courses the day before Bridge Day.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

can comeone hook me up with the video of the guy femuring in?

I can't go in. My mom would kill me.
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

Dude don't worry about gear just buy some BASE gear and Skip Bridge Day and go strait to Twin Fall Bride.
For Lazy, Casual BASE jumps off one of the. Easiest, Safest and LEAST TECHNICAL BASE objects offered for your jumping pleasure in the World.
There is water and also a football size landing area to land your canopy.
Everyone is doing it. I suggest just following the crowd and go strait there. No need for Hop & Pops or Balloon Exits. Play, Follow the leader and just go off to Twin Falls for a fun and sun and BASE THRILLS.