cpoxon

"King of the E****l T***r" jumps it for the fifth time

from an access perspective you can't compare the two and so you should expect different responses...ET could (and probably still can) be jumped on a reasonably regular basis by subtle and discrete jumpers....EST can't.

That's cool . . . but the point is going out of ones way to deny the fact that you're BASE jumping by calling it something else . . .

I understand your point, and I'm actually on your side of that debate. BASE has a rich history, and part of that history is the term "BASE."

The other side of the argument is that the term BASE can have negative connotations for some policy makers and law enforcers, and that by re-branding it as "backcountry parachuting" or "para-alpinisme" or whatever, you can try to get a clean slate to start from. You can also draw in support from non-BASE jumping constituencies that are already organized (like USHGA, for example, and I believe the Para-Alpinisme guys are organized as part of their national mountaineering club (equivalent to the American Alpine Club).

Like I said, I'm with you on this one, but I can see the other side of the argument too. Probably best to hash that out in a separate thread, if you want to do that, rather than side track this one.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Maybe they thought the jumper was German and they simply surrendered??:P:P:P

May we live long and die out

Maybe they thought the jumper was German and they simply surrendered??:P:P:P

how incredibly funny and original. let me guess being so clever you must be american, right?

Yes, Actually if you want to be techincal, my ancestors from the 1700's in America, are Scottish, French, German and English. Four different cultures in my heritage. I've jumped in France with French jumpers and was shown a great time, hince the sarcastic similys i showed on the end of my sentence:P Lighten up, my friend, it was simply a joke

May we live long and die out

Nick,

Sorry to read your post and your complete misunderstanding. Are you grounded and frustrated or what?
Did I ever wrote that I was denying my roots? Come on!! You're smarter than that. I BASE jump. Paralpinisme is just an association. The founders had to find a name that would not refer to extrem sports category.
And my intention was not to debate about cliff jumping vs urban jumps; I have many building jumps including jumps in Hong Kong from 2IFC a little while before Tomb Raider. I enjoyed a lot the "John Vincent" kind of jump showed on MTV. I'll keep on jumping of buildings but stealthy.
I'm blaming the belgian guy for ruining the efforts of others who are trying hard to maintain BASE jumping tolerated in the mountains.
Would you appreciate that I come to your local object that you carefully jump, and send the video to the media showing stickers and flag all over it?
Jeb Corliss did jump the Eiffel Tower (in a special way) but didn't send the video to the media if I remember well.
But I would call him a jerk if he would have behaved the way the belgian did.

Marc

let me guess being so clever you must be american, right?

let ME guess... being so condescending towards Americans, you must be an asshole, right?:P:P:P

that was a joke, too.

let me guess being so clever you must be american, right?

let ME guess... being so condescending towards Americans, you must be an asshole, right?:P:P:P

that was a joke, too.

good joke bubba. at least you are earning your condescension;)

Well done Johan. He is the guy with the big balls who jumped freefall inside a cathedral.

I jumped the ET for dutch TV myself 1 time so who am I to blame him ;) The only thing I blame him about it that I met him monday and he did not tell me anything. >:(

But, king of the ET? I know a frenchy who jumped it 34 times...:o

Ronald Overdijk

in fact it was meant with sarcasm.
he should have thought a bit on the(local!) jumpers behind him, maybe somebody would love to do just one jump from this object to be his own king .showing to the public and security that´s still possible to come on top,with a smile and king attitude, well ..bravo!(sarcasm)
what´s so bad to be secret?
hannes

Guys, let's ease down on slamming each other here. I'd prefer to avoid having to pull out a bunch of one line "oh, yeah, well you're a cheese eating surrender monkey" type comments. There's plenty of that over in Speakers' Corner. Let's try to keep this forum about BASE, okay?

Thanks.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I just saw a short documentation on a german TV station (Pro 7, taff).
They said it was his fifth jump from the ET and that the people of the Skydiving Sub Culture call him the king of the ET...:S>:(:S:(

I don't understand this, even the most stupid, retarded asshole should know by now that media and BASE don't fit...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

"what´s so bad to be secret?"

Of course there is nothing wrong with being secret, In fact, its better, the preffered approach. Especially outside the "base community" whatever that is.

Unfortunately, there are way too many who are apparently too insecure to simply "be their own kings" and therefore they have to stroke their great big egos and convince others how cool they are.

wayne
"If you are not a part of the Solution, you are a part of the Precipitate"

...please...come to Paris and jump it again... make my day.

You are just a bunch of badass with no respect for your BASE brothers.

Marc

>>Sorry to read your post and your complete misunderstanding. Are you grounded and frustrated or what?<<

My last jump was from six hundred feet two weeks ago so no, I'm not grounded, but thanks for asking. Am I frustrated? Yes, and mostly because in the BASE community we are losing the ability to communicate, share opinions, and have a little respect for one another.

Other than that everything is just peachy with me . . .

My thoughts are shaped by the fact – that I was in on every early attempt to organize BASE into some half assed association like the one that runs that other sport here in the U.S...

At the initial meeting held in1980 that begat the first (and so far only) legal season in Yosemite I was there. When Jean Boenish tried in vain to get the World BASE Association up and running I was there. When the CJAA began I was there.

My conclusions now, these many years later, are about how lucky we were none of those associations ever caught on and how ignorant I was at the time for thinking that was the way to go. Organizing is completely contrary to the single thing that makes BASE jumping what it is . . .

So instead of running around and creating these little fiefdoms just let the BASE brothers and sisters go and do what they know how to do. By approaching the powers that be with your hat in your hand and begging them to let you jump, you're setting up conflicts that are going to bite you in the ass in the end. Try and look ahead twenty, thirty, even fifty years from now. Many of us (and I’m including you here) that have fought the battles, took the heat, and were called reckless assholes by people we thought were our friends, may never see the fruits of that effort. But when the day comes, and I know in my heart that it will, I want BASE jumping as freedom laden as the day I found it.

And okay, I’ve had this conversation before and sometimes I hear, “well, we aren’t really organizing, Nick, we’re just running a little scam to get access.” But, you know what? Screw that - don’t let them make liars out of you, nobody owns those mountains, they just pretend they do – so tell the truth, just say, “Hello, we are BASE jumpers, and we’re going to jump so just get used to it . . . And hell yes, you’ll pay the price for that, but that is what the battle is all about, and it’s what we owe to the generations that follow us. Anything less is just making it convenient for yourself and your buddies and that’s not BASE . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Nick,

You raise some very good points. What do you think would happen if Jason told NPS to get f'd with their monsterous increase in fees and we all just showed up and jumped anyway?

Do you think the local political leaders and business owners would defend our use of the bridge if the NPS had the gall to try to arrest everyone that jumps?

Do you think the NPS would even try to arrest us with 250,000 people on hand to witness that it was nothing different than the years before?

National and international news crews on hand to witness the biggest non-organized BASE protest in history. A chance to demonstrate the reality of "It can't be stopped anyway!"

i'm no good with computers and my english writing is also no good so i'll will not go in discussion, but to clear a few things up...
these people called me and payed me to jump, and i did
every excuse is good for me to jump, so why not, i had fun and thats it.
i have no controle over what they are doing with the video that was made,
and believe me i find it stupid to that they use terms like king of... in there press notes
i'll realy don't care what they say, there's notting i can do about it.
that jump was my 935th base-jump, and i'll will not stop getting arround the world and jump everything thats higher than 30m.
but that's expensive. i'm not a rich kid , i have to work my ass of to make extra money for gear and trips for my passion, so don't shoot me if i do a payed jump ( it's better than working)

Except for the last year or so, the media has usually referred to us as parachutists, sometimes skydivers and even parachuters (which shouldn't even be a word) to nowadays mostly calling us base jumpers.

Gee, that only took 28 years . . .

And it'll probably be another 28 years before media writing guides catch on to the fact BASE is an acronym and is always capitalized.

well maybe in some places.. on tv last night they called him a "skydiving daredevil" :S

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

What do you think would happen if Jason told NPS to get f'd with their monsterous increase in fees.....?

Hello,
Sorry to interrupt, but that refusal to pay would be a done deal months before Bridge Day,
so we would be jumping on the permit of the next new Bridge Day organizer.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

I see that you were once a BD promoter, maybe still are to some extent. Is there a line of people waiting for Jason to slip-up so they can run in and make the big bucks putting on the greatest show on earth??? If so this gives the NPS a lot of leverage in that conversation.

If we were willing to say NO to this gouging technique it might show we are truly the ones with the leverage.

This really doesn't have anything to do with the original thread. However, if, as Nick said, these high profile jumps continue to happen (and they will), and the correct leverage is used in places where money matters we could easily see the reduction or elimination of many barriers to legal jumping, especially in the US.

No offense to you, Avery, or any one else for that matter, just thoughts...

Hello,
I don't know about a line, but there's someone.
For all the ways a BASE jumper tries to make some $,
there's someone always right behind you who will do it for free.

The history of Bridge Day is that there is no money in it for the jumpers.
Look, the clowns are still paying to perform in that circus.
The Bridge Day Commission lacks vision.
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Yeah !
That's exactly what I wrote earlier : you're a jerk Johan.
Someone gives you money so you'll go and jump, burning sites without paying attention to the locals.
You're the dumbest assh.le I have ever read on this forum.

Marc

Yeah !
That's exactly what I wrote earlier : you're a jerk Johan.
Someone gives you money so you'll go and jump, burning sites without paying attention to the locals.
You're the dumbest assh.le I have ever read on this forum.

Marc

plzz stop this name calling ... [:/] in our short lives sooner or later we all do things which we better didn't do, for myself I can at least remember a 100 times (maybe more...). When you fuck up yourself be sure to expect the wind in front... B|
I have never seen name calling being the solution to any problem.
in fact the jump must be seen in the background of a serie on Belgian TV, where this dude, legally tries to found his own state, within Belgium, own constitution, citizens and so one, kind of a bet whether he'll succeed or not. The flag in question was the flag of this "new" state. The word "king" of the E.... must be seen in this perspectiv.

Johan, "king of the indoor koekelberg basiliek building", respect dude !

love you all

tim.
oxygen wingsuitteam
check out our newest movie
Trainingweek Seville Spain 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwtzc1RDzDQ

Whether you find it offending or not, this guy is nothing else that what I wrote. We don't really care here in Paris about his "own state". He came to OUR country, in OUR city, ruining OUR efforts, just to flatter HIS ego;
He could at least excuse him self. But instead, he just declares not giving a f.ck about what will happen after his show...
There's a big group of jumpers here who won't leave this behaviour unpunished.

the tv show was not his, nore was he trying to found his own state, just a tv show, no direct relation between him and the tv show.
oxygen wingsuitteam
check out our newest movie
Trainingweek Seville Spain 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwtzc1RDzDQ