cpoxon

"King of the E****l T***r" jumps it for the fifth time

From http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_137190055.html

PARIS, France Belgian Base jumper Johan Vervoort succeeded in evading the extensive safety measures at the E****l T***r. He climbed to about 886 feet, just below the top, and jumped at around 6 a.m. local time.

A base jump from the E****l T***r is not without risk: the wide base of the tower makes jumping difficult and potentially dangerous. The most recent attempt dates back to exactly one year ago. At that time, a 31 year-old Norwegian jumped from the second platform (115 meters). His parachute snagged on the metal structure and cost him his life.

Since that time, the safety regulations of the heavily-guarded tower have been tightened considerably. In addition to a permanent police post at the foot of the monument and various surveillance cameras, a new alarm system and infrared cameras were also installed around the tower. On the tower itself, at the level of the first two platforms, two rings of infrared cameras are supposed to guarantee a watertight protection. And yet Vervoort succeeded in climbing up unobserved.

This was Vervoort’s 5th jump from the E****l t***r. According to insiders, this makes him the base jumper with the most jumps from this tower, earning him the title of, "King of the E****l Tower" in base-jumping circles.

And from http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=24&art_id=qw1147892221923B216

Paris - A 34-year-old Belgian jumped with a parachute from near the top of the E****l T***r at dawn Wednesday and was whisked off by friends in a car after landing unharmed at the base.

Johan Vervoort, an experienced "base-jumper", was filmed by the private Belgian television channel VTM who are using the exploit to promote a comedy show.

Tower officials confirmed that a jump had taken place, and said Vervoort must have evaded security by concealing himself at closing time on Tuesday night.

A year ago to the day a Norwegian man died performing a similar stunt, when he crashed into the lower part of the tower. - Sapa-AFP

Two unsurprisingly contradictory news stories about access.

There was a big European Soccer match in Paris last night with lots of the fans with and without tickets congregating around the tower. I wonder if the timing of the jump was a coincidence?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

"I wonder if the timing of the jump was a coincidence?"

the soccer match start at 8.45 PM local time
the jump was at 6 AM
the tower is open for public at 9.30 AM

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

The most recent attempt dates back to exactly one year ago.

Are they sure about this...:):)
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

king of the E....with 5 jumps...hahahahah..
thats ridiculous
he should know it better and feel ashamed.
was red bull involved?
hannes

Johan,

YOU'RE A JERK
You should keep your videos for you instead of spraying it all over the media.And you should remove the stickers and flag from the tower.

WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?

go back in your tree

Marc

Well, there's a silver lining in this one.

The headline reads:

"Base Jumper Gets Past Eiffel Tower Safety Measures"

Except for the last year or so, the media has usually referred to us as parachutists, sometimes skydivers and even parachuters (which shouldn't even be a word) to nowadays mostly calling us base jumpers.

Gee, that only took 28 years . . .

And it'll probably be another 28 years before media writing guides catch on to the fact BASE is an acronym and is always capitalized.

Aside from that (I don’t know Johan) this jump, what Jeb did, and even down to that other John who was found swinging in the wind – are all good things . . .

Keeping BASE a secret in the beginning was necessary to the growth of the sport as we weren’t yet ready for a coming out party. We weren’t ready gear wise, we weren’t ready skill wise, and we weren’t ready attitude wise.

What these high profile jumps say today is, “Hello - we’re here!” “And there’s nothing in the world you can do about it.” And if we keep doing these types of jumps everyone will eventually realize BASE is a fact of life. And the time will soon come when these jumps won’t even be newsworthy anymore. And bingo – that will be two problems solved at once - we’ll be able to jump more and it will drive people with the wrong motives out of the sport to find another way to get attention for themselves.

The other side of the coin are the BASE jumpers who get bent about these types of jumps. But they may be falling into the “skydiving” trap of “we must protect the sport!”

Protect it from what?

BASE jumping will never end, no decree from on high, no proclamation, no new law written anywhere can ever stop us . . . We are in such a good position I can hardly believe we wound up here, especially since there was never a long range plan in the beginning. The only original sin left in BASE jumping is burning a quiet local site that jumpers have been using for years.

The next big test we face as BASE jumpers, and it could be our downfall, is going to be how much freedom we give up in order to protect “legal” sites around the world. We’ll know we are blowing that one when jumps done in one place start to effect jumps done in another. Yes, it’s cool to follow a few local rules but it’s a fact that power over you breeds more power over you - In other words when the authorities come to us and says, “Well sorry, but because Jeb tried to jump the ESB, you can’t jump this bridge anymore.” And if we cave in to that, if we forget we are only a “loose band of brothers” beholding to no law save nature’s law then flick off the lights as we’ll be doomed to internal squabbling for another twenty years.

The only thing worth protecting in this sport, are our young ones, and our freedom. We need a 28th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution:

AMENDMENT XXVIII
Originally proposed May 18, 2006, Ratified (Not Yet)

No law, shall take effect, to prevent parachuting from fixed objects as the United States underscores the spirit of human accomplishment and sees such action as beneficial to the understanding and growth of the human condition.

NickD :)BASE 194

king of the E....with 5 jumps...hahahahah..
thats ridiculous

think they mean 5 jumps from this particular object. pretty badass, but then i'm easily impressed. :)

I think Hannes might have meant that they believe there are others who have jumped this object a lot more than 5 times and to make such a claim about being the King of this object should be a cause to feel ashamed. Similar to saying i have jumped the potato bridge 5 times and nobody else has done that many off it so i am king of the bridge.

that's how i read it anyway.

I declare myself king of every object even if I haven't jumped them. :P
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I don’t know about anyone else but I thoroughly enjoy reading what Nick has to say every time he posts! His wisdom and insight about many different topics are such a pleasure to read! Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to post Nick.

Coco

Hello Nick,
I just read your comments about the negativ reaction some of us had about this Eiffel Tower jump.
I might share some of your points. But despite your "matrix -neo- like " declaration about BASE jumping nowadays, BASE is not at all sheltered from being banned even in countries like France. Situation becomes even harder over here for cliff jumping. Some ecologist association are fighting hard to prevent us from jumping of cliffs.
An association has just been founded to defend ourself www.paralpinisme.com . It's not an easy task and we even have to get in touch with "prefet" ( equivalent to your state governor) to defend our cause. These prefet don't really give a sh.t about us. We try hard to bring a positiv light to BASE jump. This fragile balance is threatened by this kind of media jump.
I did my self this jump twice (I even got caught once). BUT I didn't brag about it to the media.
Another point is that, some locals jump this object from time to time, discretly. It becomes harder and harder to sneak into the object. With such publicity, things will be almost impossible. And guess what?
Each time Eiffel Tower jumps are on TV, it's the belgian crew. It's an obvious lack of respect for the locals and the entire BASE community.

Marc (who is really pissed off)

I jumped with Johan at the ITW, super nice kid, love his work!

If it was Jeb insted of him in the clip, nobody would call him a jerk.

Johan, well done, keep it up bro!
Memento Audere Semper

Is Troy really sponsoring him for that kind of stunt? That seems pretty lame, and not the kind of thing that Troy would be supporting. Defacing a national monument with stickers is just wrong.

Anybody know if GoFast! is really part of this business? I'll see if I can ask around and find out.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

If it was Jeb insted of him in the clip, nobody would call him a jerk.

Um, did you read the thread about Jeb in NYC? I saw several people expressing negative opinions there.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

A few, but the overwhelming majority were congratulating Jeb for the attempt and were completely supportive. To say that "nobody" would be calling Jeb a jerk if it had been him may be hyperbole, but you get the point, and the point seems valid, whether people here want to admit it or not.

Jeb (almost) jumped an object that no one else is jumping.
~he didn't deface the object.
~from the video it looks like the ET jump would have gone mostly un noticed by the authorities if it hadn't been sent to the news.
big difference
big difference
big difference
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

From the clicky Tom Posted. . .

>>Being distinguished from the activity "base-jump" by the fact that it is not jumps from urban or public buildings but only in natural environment, this new sport takes today its place in the activities of mountain like the paragliding or the climbing.<<

Whoa, Brother, "Cliffing" isn't new and is probably older than you are. And a freaking BASE jump is a freaking BASE jump, I mean how far will you go to deny your roots and our history – and what's next – an organization called the Association of Back Country Parachutist?

Hello Nick,
I hope you are doing well.
These guys are a scream huh?
The Effing Tower is in France anyway.
So who cares?
Avery
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

The Para-Alpinisme Association actually pre-dates the ABP. You can search through the archives of this forum and find the announcements of the formation of both organizations. The Para-Alpinisme Association actually had a general call to a formation meeting, in which people were invited to come and help form the organization, set it's goals, etc.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

That's cool . . . but the point is going out of ones way to deny the fact that you're BASE jumping by calling it something else . . .

What are they ashamed of?

I think Hannes might have meant that they believe there are others who have jumped this object a lot more than 5 times and to make such a claim about being the King of this object should be a cause to feel ashamed.

my naivete is showing, i confess i completely missed the sarcasm. it's hard to comprehend this amazing structure as being someones local object.

think he contacted the locals before he dayblazed it? in retrospect i guess i'm more impressed by those that have jumped it and kept the fact within their private circles. as a publicity stunt mr. vervoort's jump looses much of the mystic that makes BASE so special.

Similar to saying i have jumped the potato bridge 5 times and nobody else has done that many off it so i am king of the bridge.

5 times! dude you rock! :)